GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Checked out the new GS today

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-12, 02:13 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by jjscsix
I have to say that the more I see it, the more I think most people aren't even going to know that they are seeing a brand new model on the road. The front will be mistaken by most people to be the IS or that other hybrid thing they make, the side looks like the current GS and the back is somewhat generic to a number of other cars. The car just has no "presence" to me. That is not always bad, but when I'm buying a new car I want it to look like I bought a new car.
car has a ton of presence... when you see it in your rearview mirror, you will think they finally got to you :-)
Old 01-27-12, 05:09 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default New Avionics

After sitting in an F Sport for over an hour learning the new layout and enform system I must say that the 12.3 inch display takes over with its clarity and size. Do you remember the first time you saw HDTV? This one was Darth Vader Black (212) with Cabernet leather (LB30). This one had the normal audio system and it was the best Lexus system I have heard. The HD Radio on FM was as clear as XM but warmer as I listened to a different types of music on the local HD channels. There is more complexity to the operation of this generation even if you are a Lexpert.
The new apps haven't gone live yet and won't until Feb. 3rd I am told. It was shorn with 235/40R19 Turanza EL400's. More later...

Rock
Old 01-27-12, 05:37 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I have no idea how anyone can confuse that front end with anything. That is the entire purpose of the new front end. Now the sides and rear, I agree, they don't exactly scream "look at me" but the front end is quite dynamic in person.

Like many pics didn't serve too well, in person it works out better. Again I prefer the fastback style of the 1/2/3 GS compared to this more upright, "3 box" exterior which could be a shrunken LS. Honestly it doesn't "wow" me much either and while I like it, I am not in love with it at all compared to the 1/2/3 GS. However maybe that is the point, I was the market for the 1/2/3 GS and maybe Lexus is aiming for someone with different this time around.

Lexus has been really good at making their cars stand the test of time, they age very well and if you have the car at the end of its model cycle 6/7/8 years in it still look relevant. Honestly the GS/A6/5/E class all have more adventurous front ends compared to the rest of the bodies which are all rather sedate. The XF is best looking in class still but it does look like a longer 3GS so that is natural

Here is to hoping a coupe comes!

I agree that the front end was deliberately designed to court attention and get people talking so assertions that the 4GS looks nondescript are mystifying.

I feel like Lexus purposely aimed for a mini-LS approach to designing the new 4GS : it feels like a more "grown-up" and useful car compared to the 3GS which literally felt like a toy-car to me with it's shrunken interior space and limited utility.

Last edited by natnut; 01-27-12 at 07:11 PM.
Old 01-28-12, 05:08 PM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im sure they wont allow test drives unless they know its a serious buyer. I wonder if some dealerships want ridiculous mark-ups.
Old 01-28-12, 10:02 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
you can say somewhat the same for the 5 series imho. the e looks new though (when it first came out)
Attachment 502582
Checked out the new GS today-cwl33.jpg
Old 01-28-12, 11:40 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
]
sorry but you keep on putting up pics together don't help much

imho both don't look that good
Old 01-28-12, 11:46 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
sorry but you keep on putting up pics together don't help much

imho both don't look that good
The Merc has subdued fender flares, no rear hips and a boxy roofline.

Old 01-29-12, 06:19 AM
ingoodtime
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ice350
I was riding next a the new Camry today and thought how much it reminded me of the 4GS.

From magazines and web site photos, I like the 4th gen GS. That said, i am not a fan of the new Camry which I have seen locally on the road.

Maybe when CPO 4th gens are available, I'll give it some thought. Then again, who knows where the price of gas will be in three or 4 years. I may need a economy type vehicle.

Last edited by ingoodtime; 01-30-12 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-29-12, 07:08 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Wow, I thought Lexus AWD had the market on wheel gap, but that Mercedes is AWFUL.
Old 01-30-12, 09:18 AM
usadingo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just finished up with training on the GS and it is an amazing car. I thought I'd mention a feature that hasn't talked about yet which is the seat controls. You can adjust the curve of the backrest as well as the size of the seat bolsters. A ton of customization to make the ride even more comforatable.
Old 01-30-12, 10:50 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
(GS F-sport vs. base E class)
as usual, you compare a loaded f-sport with a base e class.

the new gs isn't bad, and def. more 'muscular' than the 3gs.

but i think this e-class looks good:

Old 01-30-12, 10:55 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

those wheels are AWFUL though.
Old 01-30-12, 02:31 PM
usadingo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here you go. The new GS, inside and out.

http://youtu.be/V3ER_JQt85Q
Old 01-30-12, 02:40 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

That's awesome, thanks!!

Few things:
1. Trunk is definitely much larger, that is great!
2. Back end looks bad without a spoiler
3. The base model wheels are awful
4. Why did they get rid of the panels under the hood? I've always thought that was very classy and a sign of a well made car
5. What color is that? Meteor Blue?
Old 01-30-12, 02:56 PM
clexusking
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Two new features just learned about today on the new GS...

1. If you have rain sensing wipers you can choose between auto (rain sensing) and regular intermittent wipers

2. If the doors are unlocked, you can open the fuel door from the outside by pressing in until you hear a click--then it pops open

Minor items, but shows great attention to detail. I'm sure there are many, many more.

Quick Reply: Checked out the new GS today