GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Checked out the new GS today

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-12, 06:05 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by jjbenzo
Well, I do have an appointment this Friday to bring my GS430 in for service. If my son is in a good mood, I'll try to get some pics before I leave.
Oh jeez, you are already working on an excuse. Lock the damn kid in the trunk and make it happen!

In all seriousness (well, as much as I can muster), thanks for the input you have shared with us already
Old 01-23-12, 08:42 PM
Opaline460
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

you saw them in person and not even a phone pic?
Old 01-24-12, 12:52 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Opaline460
Lol Thought the same thing!
Old 01-24-12, 06:29 AM
jjbenzo
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Opaline460
I assumed that if my dealer had a back lot full of them, so would every other one. Plus, I had a salesman showing me around them.
Old 01-24-12, 08:39 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Originally Posted by jjbenzo
I assumed that if my dealer had a back lot full of them, so would every other one. Plus, I had a salesman showing me around them.
You know what they say about "assuming"?

I was surprised when my local dealer had none and doesn't even expect any for several weeks. He thought that maybe L.A. and Atlanta might have them as those are the areas where they are imported through.

I looked at cars.com and some dealers in the southwest show them, but I've learned that just because cars show up on that site they may not actually be at the dealer. Some of them even show a price, but not what options they have...

http://www.cars.com/for-sale/new/201...102&yrId=47272
Old 01-24-12, 10:00 AM
Lexus3oi
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jjscsix
...The elephant in the room if you are not status crazy is the Hyundai Genesis. It blows them all away, even if you put the 5.0 liter 429hp engine in it - it's about $10,000 cheaper than the Lexus, and they deal on them a lot from what I have read.
the one thing the Genesis doesn't have apparently is the "fun to drive" factor...not even the R-Spec

if the cars were more sporty and more fun to drive, or if all i wanted was a highway cruiser, i'd seriously consider one...they're spec'd out nicely, and have an awesome warranty

i have 2 relatives that have bought Genesis 4.6L V8s in the past 3 months, but they have no interest in anything sporty
Old 01-24-12, 10:46 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Originally Posted by Lexus3oi
the one thing the Genesis doesn't have apparently is the "fun to drive" factor...not even the R-Spec

if the cars were more sporty and more fun to drive, or if all i wanted was a highway cruiser, i'd seriously consider one...they're spec'd out nicely, and have an awesome warranty

i have 2 relatives that have bought Genesis 4.6L V8s in the past 3 months, but they have no interest in anything sporty
I agree with you to a point, but let's be honest, the current GS is probably right at the bottom of the cars in it's class as far as fun to drive goes. We have a 2012 Acura TL SH-AWD and it is light years ahead of my GS when it comes to fun to drive.
Old 01-24-12, 01:01 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with you to a point, but let's be honest, the current GS is probably right at the bottom of the cars in it's class as far as fun to drive goes. We have a 2012 Acura TL SH-AWD and it is light years ahead of my GS when it comes to fun to drive.
thats hard to believe since the TL is FWD..
Old 01-24-12, 01:39 PM
Lexus3oi
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

but this is the 4th Gen forum, which is supposed to make big strides towards being "fun to drive"...i'd never even consider a previous gen GS
Old 01-24-12, 02:01 PM
usadingo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To earlier comments: 1, dealers do have pricing. 2, margins are shrinking by 3%.
Old 01-24-12, 02:03 PM
FinLIFE
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
Actually I think he said his is TL-SH AWD
Old 01-24-12, 02:16 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
See below

Originally Posted by Lexus3oi
but this is the 4th Gen forum, which is supposed to make big strides towards being "fun to drive"...i'd never even consider a previous gen GS
Yes, I understand that. But lets be honest, the reason most of us are here is that we already own a current generation GS - and that was really my point. But don't get me wrong, the new one is likely to appeal to me even more. I'll be getting a new car later this year as my lease will be up. The other cars I'm considering are a BMW 535 Sport (or 550 if my money tree bears fruit), a Audi S4 or S5, and the F-Sport Lexus.

Originally Posted by GS4_CS
Actually I think he said his is TL-SH AWD
Correct. It is my wife's car, but I drive it at least once a week. I'm am impressed more than you can imagine with the sportiness of the car. And keep in mind that my third car is a Z06 Corvette. If Acura would put 350hp in the TL SH AWD that would be my next car, game/set/match.
Old 01-24-12, 02:19 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Originally Posted by usadingo
To earlier comments: 1, dealers do have pricing. 2, margins are shrinking by 3%.
Thanks for confirming that. What that tells us is that they really did raise the price more than what they are advertising. When the margins shrink, the discounts the dealers can offer go down, and we pay more for the car. Pretty sneaky of Lexus.
Old 01-24-12, 02:40 PM
usadingo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Considering that Lexus has held their pricing pretty steady for quite a while despite increasing costs, the alternative would be to raise the MSRP.

Limited margin has been a Lexus strategy for years. The less you can give away, the less depreciation you see. Helps preserve brand integrity as well.
Old 01-24-12, 04:11 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Originally Posted by usadingo
Considering that Lexus has held their pricing pretty steady for quite a while despite increasing costs, the alternative would be to raise the MSRP.

Limited margin has been a Lexus strategy for years. The less you can give away, the less depreciation you see. Helps preserve brand integrity as well.
I don't agree at all with your last comment. Quite the contrary, the GS has had a bigger markup than most. If you don't believe me, look it up. BTW, I just did. I looked up the BMW 5 series and GS. They both have identical list prices of 46,900. Invoice on the Lexus is 42,210, BMW is 43,150. That's nearly 1,000 more markup for the Lexus.

Quick Reply: Checked out the new GS today