GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Had 2006 GS300, now have 2011 BMW 535, will come back to 2013 Lexus GS

Old 01-05-12, 09:43 PM
Hoser
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Regarding electronics, my experience has been different with our BMWs. Despite "advanced" electronics, our AGM battery died after 3 years, the memory seats and mirror function doesn't work too well, navi is bad... real bad.. and my electronic gear shifter quit right after warranty to the tune of $1300. We won't even talk about the fuel pump problems that are still unresolved after 4 years.

Admittedly, I bought our '08 535i over the GS3G because I wanted something sportier. With the 4G coming out, I am thinking about selling the BMW to get into another Lexus. Just need to test drive one.

Our 5 series BMW is great to drive but BMW does not have a handle of their electronic components. Maybe the "B" in BMW stands for Beta.
Old 01-06-12, 01:47 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoser
Regarding electronics, my experience has been different with our BMWs. Despite "advanced" electronics, our AGM battery died after 3 years, the memory seats and mirror function doesn't work too well, navi is bad... real bad.. and my electronic gear shifter quit right after warranty to the tune of $1300. We won't even talk about the fuel pump problems that are still unresolved after 4 years.

Admittedly, I bought our '08 535i over the GS3G because I wanted something sportier. With the 4G coming out, I am thinking about selling the BMW to get into another Lexus. Just need to test drive one.

Our 5 series BMW is great to drive but BMW does not have a handle of their electronic components. Maybe the "B" in BMW stands for Beta.
well thats because it is 08... MY12 is all good now, they swear!

background: i was just reading on FY11 F10 problems and everyone is so sure that FY12 gotta have it fixed... same story was in 07 with 08 models :-).
Old 01-06-12, 07:06 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The biggest risk on battery life is mods. I went through 4 batteries on my GS460 until the problem was diagnosed to drain from faulty HID fog ballasts. This is what happens when you put a after-market component on a car manufactured by Lexus. Either you should buy top-end German or Japanese accessories from Philips or Denso, or don't bother. Also my GPS locater was also placing strain on battery, though only if car was not driven for more than a month.

Either way for me BMW vs Lexus is not a choice at this point since Lexus is currently in mode of making low-powered V6 and Hybrid cars (by my standard). In fact the only alternatives I had when I made my recent purchase was Mercedes or Jaguar.
Old 01-06-12, 09:41 AM
GS3Tek

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Dema
BMW is much more refined car. needless to say that even in electronics BMW is superior to Lexus. Why do I need manually transfer my contacts i Lexus when i can just see and access all my phone contacts in BMW? why I cant see any other letters than ASCII in Lexus? Why music stops playing after shutting engine i Lexus? Why do I need to carry fat manuals in Lexus when I can read and search everything on navigation screen in BMW. List of weird stuff in Lexus is endless.

PS never had a single problem with BMW for four years and never visited a dealer beside of free maintenance.
That is more a "software" issue rather than electronics.
Granted German cars have more customization ability through the car than lexus where you have to bring it to the dealer to do some of the customizations.

Originally Posted by *Batman*
The biggest risk on battery life is mods. I went through 4 batteries on my GS460 until the problem was diagnosed to drain from faulty HID fog ballasts. This is what happens when you put a after-market component on a car manufactured by Lexus. Either you should buy top-end German or Japanese accessories from Philips or Denso, or don't bother. Also my GPS locater was also placing strain on battery, though only if car was not driven for more than a month.
Ironically, the only reliable German electronics that everyone can rave about are the german ballasts
Old 01-06-12, 10:09 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by *Batman*
Either way for me BMW vs Lexus is not a choice at this point since Lexus is currently in mode of making low-powered V6 and Hybrid cars (by my standard). In fact the only alternatives I had when I made my recent purchase was Mercedes or Jaguar.
You are among a very small percentage of buyers.