GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Lexus to Reveal All-New 2013 GS 350 with F SPORT Package at 2011 SEMA Show

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-11, 03:39 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by jjscsix
If my TL was a 11 or earlier I would agree with you. Mine is a '12 which is toned down.

I know all about the current engine - remember, I have one!

I'm not supposed to "insult" the car? Sorry, I don't consider it an insult, I consider it my opinion of how the car looks.

While there may be some Lexus' out there that have been pumped up, I stand behind my opinion that Lexus image is overwhelmingly that of catering to old men and blue haired ladies. Let's not forget that I own one, and I also own a Z06 Corvette - so consider the source before you take issue with me saying that. I like the car a lot.

While you are extolling the fact that Lexus is not stepping up and adding an F-Sport package, keep in mind that the contents are almost identical to the Sport package offered on the LS460. That is by far the most over priced sport package I've ever seen, and they basically cannot give them away. Why do you think the F-Sport package on the GS350 is going to do any better? As you prepare your answer, I agree that the GS350 likely has a better chance than the LS, but if they price the package at over $6,000 as they do on the LS, it will likely suffer the same fate.
uh... factory F-Sport packages are best thing since sliced bread... LS460 Sport doesnt go as far.
Personally I wouldnt buy IS or GS without one.

But it is optional... haters can ignore it.
Old 10-26-11, 03:42 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ydooby
Your post actually makes the reason of no fogs on the GS350 F-Sport obvious. In all the pics you posted, the air inlets in place of the fogs are functional, designed for high performance driving in cars that are designed to be driven hard, with proper high performance to match. The GS350 F-Sport on the other hand has non-functional, faux air inlets and has no performance to back up that look. Since cost cutting is very unlikely the reason for such a move, the only reason left for the omission of the fogs is to create a poseur look of the real deal. Hate to say it but that is the only possible reason now.
it is definetly looks and weight.... but again, you wont see crazy air intakes anymore in cars as closing them helps mpg, a lot. You dont need those huge intakes in 1 series M for instance, and Jag has "tiny" intake for brake cooling, Audi's is 80% closed off. Lexus actually has cooling intake for brakes as well, just not at that location.
Old 10-26-11, 05:23 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

On cars with advanced or should i say better lighting technology fogs have been form over function for over 5 years or so.

Realistically LS doesn't even need fogs its beam is so broad that when you turn on fogs you don't get much as opposed to some car with halogens.

I prefer F SPORT to boring round fogs anyway.
Old 10-26-11, 05:23 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If foglights are the biggest discrepancy, I think it's fair to call this car a huge success
Old 10-26-11, 05:49 PM
js619858
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
If foglights are the biggest discrepancy, I think it's fair to call this car a huge success
AGREED! Those lights aren't that bad plus you can always change them.
Old 10-26-11, 06:34 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by ydooby
Your post actually makes the reason of no fogs on the GS350 F-Sport obvious. In all the pics you posted, the air inlets in place of the fogs are functional, designed for high performance driving in cars that are designed to be driven hard, with proper high performance to match. The GS350 F-Sport on the other hand has non-functional, faux air inlets and has no performance to back up that look. Since cost cutting is very unlikely the reason for such a move, the only reason left for the omission of the fogs is to create a poseur look of the real deal. Hate to say it but that is the only possible reason now.
It could very well be to pose. What I am finding ridiculous is all this commentary on foglights and not all the impressive things about this F-sport...to name a few
1. Riveria red with new paint process
2. Red interior offered
3. bigger brakes and performance pads
4. Different front end with integrated aero (the amount of *****ing people did on the LS sport for example, did they now jump to ***** about fog lamps?)
5. Yaw control. This GS can turn the wheels the same way or different ways. I guess no one read the actual press release. This is awesome
6. Kept the weight down. This car seems to be as light if not slightly lighter than the current 350 and its bigger with way more tech and features.
7. Staggered 19s. 235 up front, 265 rear. Also 19s for a change instead of 18s.
8. Revised AVS suspension
etc etc

You don't think I'm disappointed instead of talking about those great points, we are stuck on fog lamps? Seriously?

People asked, BEGGED for Lexus to make a factory F-sport package instead of having to add it on like the current version. We finally get one. How about lets appreciate they listened in that regard?

If my TL was a 11 or earlier I would agree with you. Mine is a '12 which is toned down.

I'm not supposed to "insult" the car? Sorry, I don't consider it an insult, I consider it my opinion of how the car looks.

While there may be some Lexus' out there that have been pumped up, I stand behind my opinion that Lexus image is overwhelmingly that of catering to old men and blue haired ladies. Let's not forget that I own one, and I also own a Z06 Corvette - so consider the source before you take issue with me saying that. I like the car a lot.

While you are extolling the fact that Lexus is not stepping up and adding an F-Sport package, keep in mind that the contents are almost identical to the Sport package offered on the LS460. That is by far the most over priced sport package I've ever seen, and they basically cannot give them away. Why do you think the F-Sport package on the GS350 is going to do any better? As you prepare your answer, I agree that the GS350 likely has a better chance than the LS, but if they price the package at over $6,000 as they do on the LS, it will likely suffer the same fate.
Actually the LS 460 sport has done exceptionally well, so well they made a limited edition version with different trim this year. What might be overpriced to you might be a bargain to someone else. You get a aerokit, unique interior, IS F brembo brakes, 19" wheels and recalibrated IS F tranny and revised suspension. Reviews were very positive for the car. It was produced in limited numbers so don't expect to see one on every block.

Lexus has the ***** to produce the F marque and F-sport, cars like the IS F, LFA and F-sport IS/GS/CT parts and now complete factory packages like the IS/CT/GS F-sport. It takes time to do this, money and engineering. Outside of the Germans, Lexus is doing it and continues to spread it to the lineup. There is a lot of internal momentum with F-sport, they really are excited and more products are coming. I don't recall seeing this much complaining when Infiniti adds an S badge, a different bumper, brakes, wheels and no power upgrade. Why all the complaining about Lexus?

We should welcome it, not try to find every reason to rip it.

No its not perfect. A power bump would have been nice. Maybe a less aggressive face. Maybe it needs big red ricer badges or something. Maybe 20" wheels. The fact is Lexus is offering it and from early reviews it seems to be a great drive. I fail to understand why anyone, an enthusiast would not be happy to see the upgrades made here vs the stock version. Its not a kit and badges.

As for the TL, no more comments, we all know what most people think revised or not.

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
lol, exactly....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGDBR2L5kzI
Old 10-26-11, 08:24 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

overall the 4GS f-sport is exceptional, from the inside out. f-sport would be the version to get, but only if a jdm aftermarket company makes a full bumper replacement with fogs! spindle grille i can handle it, front bumper... nope, not a fan of that. also disappointed that the f-sport is not coming to the 450h.
Old 10-26-11, 09:12 PM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

move along bmw, audi, mercedes. the boss is in the building
Old 10-26-11, 09:15 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormforge
overall the 4GS f-sport is exceptional, from the inside out. f-sport would be the version to get, but only if a jdm aftermarket company makes a full bumper replacement with fogs! spindle grille i can handle it, front bumper... nope, not a fan of that. also disappointed that the f-sport is not coming to the 450h.
The back of this shot says "GS450h":

Lexus to Reveal All-New 2013 GS 350 with F SPORT Package at 2011 SEMA Show-vajkn.jpg

In this shot the 450h LED lighting and blue glowing logo can be seen:

Lexus to Reveal All-New 2013 GS 350 with F SPORT Package at 2011 SEMA Show-tpzgy.jpg

In other words that is the GS450h F-sport.
Old 10-27-11, 05:58 AM
KayGee
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

I don't care if it has fog lights or not but if it doesn't have a cassette player then no way am I getting one.
Old 10-27-11, 06:21 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Ok some people are saying that the front is over aggressive (I like) and it does not match what’s under the hood, well I look at it as the F-Sport package like the M package from Bimmer or AMG package. You get the looks without the performance and if you want the performance you step up get the IS-F & GS-F, so this is nothing new far as poser status. I agree if the fogs are the huge flaw then it a win in my book, BTW I love fogs, if anyone buys a GS F sport you can always add fogs to your mod list b/c you know it won’t stay stock. I’m very happy that Lexus is taking the step in the right direction with adding more excitement and youthful approach to the brand, I think they are just getting started (waking up) and will surprise a lot of people in the future.
Old 10-27-11, 06:30 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I'm surprised to see people saying that the face of this car is "too aggressive." This is the SPORT version...if foglights are that important to you and you prefer a more conservative front end, then by all means, please go with the standard GS.

I also agree with Mike and think the omission of foglights was supposed to add some sporty effect, similar to how M, S, RS, LFA have done this in recent years. I don't think it's cost saving either...strictly visual, as we can also see that they are not functional. I don't see what the big deal is...

I'm also thinking that the F Sport will lead them to possibly introduce a V8 for forced induction model after launch. There will be BMW, Mercedes and Audi people coming in and driving this car, and wanting more power. 306 is good for the average buyer, but Lexus is targeting the driving enthusiast with the F Sport model, and many of those people are well aware of the fact that higher power options are available from the Germans. Time will tell.
Old 10-27-11, 07:26 AM
JDMToyotas
Lead Lap

Um sorry but who cares who mostly drives what kind of car? I've seen old and young men drive Ferraris and Lambo. I've seen MOSTLY old people drive Bentlys but do I care about that? NO. I would still drive a Benlty. So you comment about "Lexus image is overwhelmingly that of catering to old men and blue haired ladies" is utter crap. Its about the car you drive not what someone does

I find it funny you call it being "pumped up" way to downplay Lexus building super sporty cars huh ? Lets not hide the FACT the ISF alone will destroy every Acura on sale today and prob on sale next year too. So before you take shots at Lexus look at what Acura isnt doing. Cause the way I see it... Acuras are some of the most boring cars on sale today.

"keep in mind that the contents are almost identical to the Sport package offered on the LS460" Wow that comment couldnt be anymore wrong Im guessing you didnt read the press release about the GS F-Sport. Maybe you should because the LS Sport and GS F-Sport are nothing alike.

Last edited by JDMToyotas; 10-27-11 at 07:37 AM.
Old 10-27-11, 08:00 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Tee
Ok some people are saying that the front is over aggressive (I like) and it does not match what’s under the hood, well I look at it as the F-Sport package like the M package from Bimmer or AMG package. You get the looks without the performance and if you want the performance you step up get the IS-F & GS-F, so this is nothing new far as poser status. I agree if the fogs are the huge flaw then it a win in my book, BTW I love fogs, if anyone buys a GS F sport you can always add fogs to your mod list b/c you know it won’t stay stock. I’m very happy that Lexus is taking the step in the right direction with adding more excitement and youthful approach to the brand, I think they are just getting started (waking up) and will surprise a lot of people in the future.
well i would add that when it comes to suspension, this is very different beast.... it might not have power upgrade, but suspension is very different from stock GS350... this will be much faster car in the curves.

It has active suspension, rear wheel drive, bigger brakes, overall upgraded suspension (lower, different shocks, bushings, springs, etc, etc).
Old 10-27-11, 08:09 AM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

I am praying for an GS450h F-Sport AWD. It would make a perfect DD for me. I don't know if the packaging would allow this, but Lexus already have this in the LS600h.

Quick Reply: Lexus to Reveal All-New 2013 GS 350 with F SPORT Package at 2011 SEMA Show