Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I like the 4 GS but I see where the comparison comes from. Thanks for the laugh
Old 02-19-12, 05:31 PM
ingoodtime
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ice350
Definitely part of the problem....makes the car look like it was created by Dr Frankenstein...parts just put together without symmetry.
Saw the car in person yesterday. Sat in the showroom staring at it. Not only does the grill not match the rest of the car, it protrudes forward, like a bird's beak.

Then you look at the rest of the car and it looks so uninspired. It kinda looks like the IS but with less style. Like the IS stretched over a bigger frame but without adding in the style to compensate for the added size. Like Frenkenstein.

Then sat inside. I don't know why so many people raved about the interior but it didn't wow me. The materials feel slightly better but I don't like the lay out. Looks like a BMW.
The console is nice but the dash just looks like it was poured into a mold and slapped on the car. It didn't match the console well. Like Frankenstein.

Lexus proved it could make beautiful machines with the LFA. Then they give us this. Looks like its time to move on.
I kind of feel the same way. The interior seems well put together and the materials are nice but it gives me a bland feeling, uninspiring, same as the exterior. It may drive well and that could be its saving grace. One thing is or sure, I'm not spending 60,000 for one.
Old 02-19-12, 09:40 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

If people could spend 60,000 for the Godawful 3GS, I don't see why they wouldn't pony up the cash for the 4GS that is:
1) roomier
2) more luxurious with higher quality interior
3) better rear and trunk space = more utility
4) handles MUCH better and sportier
5) more fuel efficient

In all honesty, the advent of the 4GS makes me feel all excited like when the 2GS came out. I remember when the 2GS was pilloried for its "bland, Mercedes wannabe,ugly 4 eyes styling" but the true enthusiasts loved it because it was roomy, comfortable, easy to use, reliable yet could be a cracking good drive. Even the looks was a selling point to many CL members as no other Lexus looked like it and it really stood out on the road.

That's the reason why the 2GS is still well loved and many forum members still cherish and have fond memories of it.

In contrast, the 3GS was too try hard : it wanted to keep up with the times and went for the low swooping coupe look in order to look hip and sporty but that totally destroyed its use as a family sedan : it was cramped in both front and rear,the trunk space was laughably bad and worse of all, it's handling didn't live up to it's 4-door coupe styling--it LOOKED sporty but didn't PERFORM sporty. It was the worse of both worlds--neither comfortable/useable nor pleasant to drive.

My prediction : there'll be initial complaints about the 4GS styling but if the 4GS delivers on its initial promise of functionality+handling, people will come to tolerate/like its looks for the quality/value it delivers and the 4GS sales will easily eclipse that of the 3GS, both initial and over the long-term.

People aren't fools; the 3GS sold poorly and deservedly so.It was a poor value proposition delivering neither sportiness nor utility and will go down in Lexus history as the model that nearly sunk the GS line.

The 4GS is fortunate as it has such low expectations to beat : it just needs to be better than abysmal(the 3GS standard) for sales to improve.

Last edited by natnut; 02-19-12 at 10:04 PM.
Old 02-20-12, 04:10 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
If people could spend 60,000 for the Godawful 3GS, I don't see why they wouldn't pony up the cash for the 4GS that is:
1) roomier
2) more luxurious with higher quality interior
3) better rear and trunk space = more utility
4) handles MUCH better and sportier
5) more fuel efficient

In all honesty, the advent of the 4GS makes me feel all excited like when the 2GS came out. I remember when the 2GS was pilloried for its "bland, Mercedes wannabe,ugly 4 eyes styling" but the true enthusiasts loved it because it was roomy, comfortable, easy to use, reliable yet could be a cracking good drive. Even the looks was a selling point to many CL members as no other Lexus looked like it and it really stood out on the road.

That's the reason why the 2GS is still well loved and many forum members still cherish and have fond memories of it.

In contrast, the 3GS was too try hard : it wanted to keep up with the times and went for the low swooping coupe look in order to look hip and sporty but that totally destroyed its use as a family sedan : it was cramped in both front and rear,the trunk space was laughably bad and worse of all, it's handling didn't live up to it's 4-door coupe styling--it LOOKED sporty but didn't PERFORM sporty. It was the worse of both worlds--neither comfortable/useable nor pleasant to drive.

My prediction : there'll be initial complaints about the 4GS styling but if the 4GS delivers on its initial promise of functionality+handling, people will come to tolerate/like its looks for the quality/value it delivers and the 4GS sales will easily eclipse that of the 3GS, both initial and over the long-term.

People aren't fools; the 3GS sold poorly and deservedly so.It was a poor value proposition delivering neither sportiness nor utility and will go down in Lexus history as the model that nearly sunk the GS line.

The 4GS is fortunate as it has such low expectations to beat : it just needs to be better than abysmal(the 3GS standard) for sales to improve.
Poor job of defending the 4gs.
1. I didn't notce any more roominess. If it is roomier, it must be in the back seat, where I don't care. Definitely no improvement in the front.
2. More luxurious??? Where? The interior is different and there is a slight improvement on the feel but it isn't anythung to write home about. The dash looks more plain to me. I do like the console though.
3. Dont care about rear and trunk space. no comment. Didn't check.
4. Didn't drive it but I choose to believe it is probably better than a stock 3gs. However, you guys are wrong about everything else so you might be wrong about that too. I may never know since I don't plan to try it.
5. Don't care much about that either but it can't be much improvement. Manufacturers sometimes exaggerate these things anyway.

I agree Lexus could have dialed in more sportiness for the 3gs. But why do that when the brand was built on luxury. Now they know that is what many of us want...but they still didn't go far enough with the 4gs. At least the 3gs coupe-like silhouette provides some sportiness. We enthusiast improved the handling. I'm good.
With the 4gs, the front is aggressive but not attractive and the rest of the car looks bland. Who's gonna buy a slightly better handling but odd looking 4gs? Thgere are always people who want the newest model even if it isn't better in every way to the previous model. But I don't see this thing making a big impact.

Last edited by Ice350; 02-20-12 at 04:15 AM.
Old 02-21-12, 02:05 PM
Leo23
Driver

Are there any chances at all that next year we'll see changes already? Sure I hope so...
Old 02-21-12, 03:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Leo23
Are there any chances at all that next year we'll see changes already? Sure I hope so...
with all the new lexus changing to this new grill design? that's wishful thinking
Old 02-21-12, 05:02 PM
Leo23
Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
with all the new lexus changing to this new grill design? that's wishful thinking
No no. I wasn't speaking about the front grill, but I was alluding to the overall design...there is no coherence in my opinion, when looking to the car at 360*. I said it on day one when I saw the photos first at lexus dealer and say it now still. No doubt the 4gs is a 'better' car, but design-wise the 3GS makes more sense. Mhmm, I notice that I am not the only one saying it.

As it is, the 4gs sure is a desirable car, more than most cars out there, but in this price range I expect a car with more original appeal..., I hate the fact that so many manufactures are "copying those led lights" from Audi. I see other less expensive makers doing it for the sake of popular demand (ok MB too), but Lexus should have had its own "signature".
By the way, kudos to BMW for keeping their own.

Lexus, are you reading?

Last edited by Leo23; 02-21-12 at 05:15 PM.
Old 02-21-12, 07:51 PM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Everytime I see the 4GS grill, I think of the Predator from the movies. It's gotta look similar to someone other than me.

LOL, totally. Only the predator looks more appealing.
Old 02-21-12, 08:18 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Leo23
No no. I wasn't speaking about the front grill, but I was alluding to the overall design...there is no coherence in my opinion, when looking to the car at 360*. I said it on day one when I saw the photos first at lexus dealer and say it now still. No doubt the 4gs is a 'better' car, but design-wise the 3GS makes more sense. Mhmm, I notice that I am not the only one saying it.

As it is, the 4gs sure is a desirable car, more than most cars out there, but in this price range I expect a car with more original appeal..., I hate the fact that so many manufactures are "copying those led lights" from Audi. I see other less expensive makers doing it for the sake of popular demand (ok MB too), but Lexus should have had its own "signature".
By the way, kudos to BMW for keeping their own.

Lexus, are you reading?
Design-wise, the 3GS was more AESTHETICALLY appealing but makes sense??? No. It was the most foolish design decision made by Lexus : it had the functional carrying capacity of an IS, a car one class-size smaller yet its poor handling belied its sporty design.
It would have made sense if it was for a CLS/6 series/A7 class of car but for a family mid-size sedan? Complete insanity--AND the disastrous sales confirm my point.
Old 02-22-12, 02:53 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Design-wise, the 3GS was more AESTHETICALLY appealing but makes sense??? No. It was the most foolish design decision made by Lexus : it had the functional carrying capacity of an IS, a car one class-size smaller yet its poor handling belied its sporty design.
It would have made sense if it was for a CLS/6 series/A7 class of car but for a family mid-size sedan? Complete insanity--AND the disastrous sales confirm my point.
I never viewed the GS line for a family sedan. The ES and the SUV's, yes. I consider the executive model. I was never sure what that meant but that's the designation I hear most....from journalist and regular folk.
More recently luxury sport became the accepted nom de pleur (is that spelled right?).
It is definitely not the family hauler....and not meant to be.
Old 02-22-12, 05:56 AM
Leo23
Driver

You are talking about Form-Factor and Function. And you may be right on that, but still, if like me, an average driver that doesnt speed when cornering, the 3GS handles just fine for everyday driving.
What I meant criticizing about the 4gs (and it's just my personal opinion) is the design only stand-point view, not the function. To me, the car looks a bit strange: intriguing on the front (I like it), not noticeable the profile and from the back it could be like any another car...There is no coherence flowing through the entire car. Look at the Infiniti m37, Audi 6 and BMW. That you like or not these cars have a design that works, and they do make sense because front, side and back view transmit a coherent sense of elegance, or aggressiveness or whatever with the same coherent flowing of shapes and lines. I don't see it in the 4gs. Still the cars seems a top contender for performance and for most drivers that's what count the most, I guess.
I believe, Lexus will go back to the drawing board to rectify some details.
By the way, I love their concept cars.
Anyway, time will tell.

Last edited by Leo23; 02-22-12 at 06:01 AM.
Old 02-22-12, 06:33 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

The 4GS is causing me to really look hard at other 3GS cars while in traffic. Comparing the shape and look. The conclusion keeps being the same so far. The 4GS grill (like it or not) stands out. The rest of the car doesn't match and isn't very stylish.
The 3GS has style every where. There is no comparison.
To be fair, my exposure to the 4GS is limited but someday I'll see one on the road for a better comparison. Time may make me soften a little but it can't fix that the front doesn't match the rest of the car. There is no flow. Period!
Old 02-23-12, 08:34 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

The 4GS grill (like it or not) stands out. The rest of the car doesn't match and isn't very stylish. ... There is no flow. Period!
i see what you mean.
Attached Thumbnails Predator-4gspredator.jpg  
Old 02-23-12, 11:30 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i see what you mean.
lmao omg that's so funny
Old 02-23-12, 11:34 AM
Liferules
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its funny hearing all the bashing about the new grill. I bought one of the 1st A6's when they were the initial standard bearer of the new Audi grill which is now on every model they sell. At the time there was so much similar bashing about how it looked like a fish with its mouth open, didn't meld with the rest of the design, etc.... now its recognized as one of the best grills in the luxury/sport class and essentially the signature of an Audi. Obviously time will ultimately tell, but my opinion is that the new Lexus "spindle" grills are step in the right direction. About time Lexus got a little bolder in appearance. I, for one, like it.

Quick Reply: Predator