GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

I still can't believe the 4GS will not have a V8 option!

Old 09-24-11, 09:39 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by twylie
I'm fine if this is the position they're taking (not happy to hear it, but understand); I'm just glad to see them admit it rather than dance around the issue and say the V6 hybrid is an acceptable substitute for a V8 option. They're willing to cede buyers that want a V8 to other brands in exchange for a more competitive general offering. Not happy about this if no GS-F comes to bear as it moves the new GS lower down my shopping list.
Which is a great post and point(s). That said luxury isn't about logical most times. I can appreciate the GS 250/350/450h appealing to logic and in some cases to performance in the upcominig F-sports case. It is about emotion and a V-8 brings emotion especially since LEXUS HAS A 380HP and 416HP V-8 in their cars already. Why the GS has been left out is beyond me at this point.

The bottom line is those 5-10% of buyers are a core and influential and valuable group. I said it many times if there was no V-8 GS 400 there would be no 1SICKLEX (hell the SC 400 before it) and tons of high ranking members here would not be on this forum.

So this forum is now going to miss these hardcore people, a new generation, who skip the GS and buy the usual German car instead. Terrible move by Lexus, there is no getting around it.

A F-sport GS is nice, but it seems it will only have the base engine.

Reality is hitting me that there is no V-8 option in the GS which to me is a giant mistake for now. The GS F can't come fast enough and even then, not having a base V-8 is terrible for a mid size luxury sedan when the E550 and 550 BMW are offered with one.

What kind of laying down crap is that?
Old 09-24-11, 02:29 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I want a V8. That's all I have to say.
Old 09-24-11, 09:16 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Which is a great post and point(s). That said luxury isn't about logical most times. I can appreciate the GS 250/350/450h appealing to logic and in some cases to performance in the upcominig F-sports case. It is about emotion and a V-8 brings emotion especially since LEXUS HAS A 380HP and 416HP V-8 in their cars already. Why the GS has been left out is beyond me at this point.

The bottom line is those 5-10% of buyers are a core and influential and valuable group. I said it many times if there was no V-8 GS 400 there would be no 1SICKLEX (hell the SC 400 before it) and tons of high ranking members here would not be on this forum.

So this forum is now going to miss these hardcore people, a new generation, who skip the GS and buy the usual German car instead. Terrible move by Lexus, there is no getting around it.
Agree completely. Well said.
Old 09-24-11, 10:40 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Reality is hitting me that there is no V-8 option in the GS which to me is a giant mistake for now. The GS F can't come fast enough and even then, not having a base V-8 is terrible for a mid size luxury sedan when the E550 and 550 BMW are offered with one.

I couldn't agree with you more, I've stood by Lexus' side for years but if they disappoint by not offering a V8 option, I'm just gonna have to move on to the Germans
Old 09-24-11, 10:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

applaud
Old 09-25-11, 05:25 PM
cerumo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I barely post here. I'm not sure if you guys are aware that lexus is coming out with LS TMG which put out 650 hp and 700 tq. Car is being tested at nurb track. So they still have something up in their sleeve
Old 09-25-11, 09:43 PM
mikesm
Rookie

+1

I am exactly the type of person you describe, a GS400 owner and a lifelong toyota/lexus fan. I just placed an order for my first german car since I couldn't wait any longer for an upgrade.

I hope Lexus learns from this. I really didn't want to have to learn to fill the gas from the other side of the car...
Old 09-29-11, 08:23 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mikesm
+1

I am exactly the type of person you describe, a GS400 owner and a lifelong toyota/lexus fan. I just placed an order for my first german car since I couldn't wait any longer for an upgrade.

I hope Lexus learns from this. I really didn't want to have to learn to fill the gas from the other side of the car...
Me too, although not a lifelong Lexus fan - more of a BMW man, but I did convert to Lexus and I would have stayed if they made a high performance GS.
Old 09-29-11, 12:22 PM
Supraristo
Lexus Test Driver

I plan on selling both of my Lexus, and never come back unless they come out with something that has more power. At this point.....**** Lexus!
Old 09-30-11, 08:22 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Supraristo
I plan on selling both of my Lexus, and never come back unless they come out with something that has more power. At this point.....**** Lexus!
It's all about timing. They will have more power in a couple of years.

I couldn't wait for that because the 3GS was feeling dated even though my one is only 28 months old.
Old 09-30-11, 08:37 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

It's sad to think that Lexus is only looking at sales figures and not catering for the enthusiasts. Yes they have the LFA and ISF but what if the enthusiasts need something the size of a GS? I, for one would be all over it if it was fitted even with the current 3GS 4.6L V8, but 3.5 V6? C'mon that's mid-size fleet car territory like a Camry (and can be had for much cheaper obviously).

I know it's a long shot but what if there was a 3.5L V6 twin turbo? At least it would be in the same league performance-wise as the 335i bi-turbo etc. They really need a sport package in their line-up (all ranges). They need a proper luxo coupe as well but that's for another thread.
Old 10-02-11, 01:55 AM
Lexzam
Driver

Lexus hinted this (no V8) already quite some time ago. At the time they stopped selling the GS460 in the UK they claimed customers who want V8 are stuck in the past. In other words, they claimed customers are wrong .... should never do that in marketing of any product.....

Sad it is.
Old 10-02-11, 06:28 AM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

If there will be no v8 I will not be suprised. It is simple ROI. Since most buy v6 it seems it will be a loosing money initiaitive to have a seperate production line, marketing, more development, dealing with gov new quota system, etc.... If I want an ultimate driving machine to go crazy again, will buy BMW. Will be sticking with v6 this time around. Also bigger is no longer better. Look at all manufactureres going smaller and just turbocharging engines. Lexus follow evolution and I wouldn't be suprise on the next IS we will see a choice with 4cyl with turbo.
Old 10-04-11, 09:15 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Glaphmion
I don't understand the need for a v8.
Have you ever heard a V8?

I understand the practicality of the V6 and that it is the 90% seller. But it's important to image. Mercedes has the E550 AND the E63. BMW has the 550i AND the forthcoming M5. What do we get? A 3.5 liter V6, from the old GS no less. Yes, it's a great engine, but do we ASPIRE to it? No.

I bought my GS400 not because I needed it... but because I WANTED it. That little 4-liter still honks pretty damn well... if you said "would you trade it for a 2010 GS350?" my answer would be "no."
Old 10-04-11, 10:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
I bought my GS400 not because I needed it... but because I WANTED it.
wow, just wow. can't say it any better, bob

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I still can't believe the 4GS will not have a V8 option!