GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Official GS-F discussion

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-11, 12:54 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by J.P.
They can have a hybrid that does 0 to 60 in 2.3 seconds, I still do not want it.

I don’t care about lap times, I don’t care about super low 0 to 60’s, don’t care about racing on the street let alone in a sedan.

It’s about the driving experience to me, and that part is most enjoyable with a reasonably high powered, amazing sounding v8-v10-v12.

For many auto enthusiasts they enjoy the sound, mechanics and raw power of a gasoline engine, I don’t see that fading anytime soon.

Bring on the GS-F
with M3 moving to 6cyl, i dont see V8 having a serious future.

Hybrid is not different from having an electric turbo.
Old 08-20-11, 01:24 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Bond
Many BMW M5 enthusiast ( at least here in Europe ) are not to happy at all with the switch from a high-rpm V10 to this "boring" 6000 rpm V8. It was the same with M3, not too many prefers the V8 over the former high-rpm straight six. Thats for sure.

If Lexus makes a high-rpm V10 and the car handles like a M or AMG then both BMW and AMG drivers are going to buy the GSF.
You mean like the way they flocked to the V10 Audi RS6's? They couldn't give them away in the U.S.

The BMW guys can say what they want on the forum, but I just read a test on the CLS/AMG. 1/4 mile was 12.0 at 122. the M5 will be at least as fast. They'll still buy them.
Old 08-20-11, 01:45 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the 2013 GS350 has the same price as the 2011 model ($46,900); than I'm predicting a starting price for the GSF to be at $71,620.

I'm guessing that the 4GS will have a higher starting price; so expect the GSF to be starting at $72,000 minimum.
Old 08-20-11, 01:49 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Just turbo a V8 like what BMW and Benz doing. Hell, even turbo v6 GS sounds good.
Turboing is not the Lexus way.
Old 08-20-11, 02:27 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
It's not going to be the exact same V10, and the LFA is MUCH MUCH MORE than about it's V10 engine, and putting a V10 in a GS-F is good for Lexus marketing and reputation.
Yes, I posted the OP, I was responding to RXSF in particular.

A very similar pattern is continuing again, anytime Lexus has a new idea most of the forum wants to shut it down and go back to tried and true like the competitors. We all know Lexus has their own way of doing things, may not be all that bad to look at the big picture as well.

They shocked the world with the GS450h high performance hybrid and they can do it again if they choose to do a GS-Fh.

From what we know in the two articles posted in here now, a v10 is likely, Lexus will blow us away, they tend to do that. Look how everybody responded to the leaked 2013 GS pictures and then how the Pebble Beach response was, most people here have zero faith in Lexus' ability to produce a good product. Its kind of sad.
Old 08-20-11, 02:37 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jjscsix
If they make it too exotic - which will equal too expensive, the car won't sell. Lexus just doesn't have a following to sell a 80-90k performance sedan. Think about it - where would the buyers come from? BMW and M-B drivers are not going to make the switch. They will be looking for buyers to move up from a current Lexus. How many people today can afford a 50k GS and next year a 80K car?

The reality is that in order for it to sell it will have to be priced under $70k. In my mind, that gets something like the current IS-F. That uses current V8 engine MAYBE upgraded a little.

Now, that doesn't mean they wont try for something more grandiose but I can't see how it would sell. They have to overcome two things. One is that Lexus is all new to the game (I don't consider the IS-F a factor). And the times they are a changing. M5's and AMG's still sell because the really rich folks will always be out there and will always be really rich. But they are not Lexus customers - at least not in the performance world.
Lots of people.

The difference between spending $50k and $80k on a car is very little. The usual demographic for buying $50k-$100k cars = high net worth individuals (liquid assets of $1M+) making approximately $200,000/year or more.

People who push into the $100k-$120k range tend to have higher disposable income. For example, the median income for LS600hL buyers is $400,000/year.

Porsche 911 ($95K+ with options even for the base model) owners boast a median income of about $375,000/year.

And really, $80,000 for a GS-F that adequately competes with the M5 is absolutely phenomenal. That's very reasonable pricing for a ~500HP GS-F.
Old 08-20-11, 02:43 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

And this notion that "really rich" customers are not Lexus customers is absurd. Every objective bit of data that's available points to the opposite conclusion.

Wealthy individuals consider Lexus to be among the most prestigious of car brands -

"The proprietary Luxury Brand Status Index (LBSI) survey is the only measure of the prestige of leading brands among wealthy Americans. A national sample of 1,642 wealthy American consumers, with an average income of $349K and average net-worth of $3.7 million, was surveyed online. Survey results are weighted to match demographic and net worth profiles of the same audience according to the latest Survey of Consumer Finances from The Federal Reserve.

May 7, 2008 -- High net-worth consumers rated Porsche the most prestigious luxury automobile in the 2008 Luxury Brand Status Index (LBSI). Respondents who would recommend Porsche say, "They are world-class sports cars for the true connoisseur," and, "They have a good reputation for performance." Lexus and Mercedes ranked second and third respectively."

People with multimillion dollar average net worths and near middle six figure incomes ranked Lexus as the 2nd most prestigious brand, second only to Porsche.

But maybe you were talking about really rich people with net worths of $25M+ and average 7 figure incomes. I don't know. You'll have to define what you mean by "really rich."
Old 08-20-11, 05:00 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

That LBSI survey is for 2008, are there data for the other years with the same survey or do they do this every few years?
Old 08-20-11, 05:50 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Incredible
Turboing is not the Lexus way.
1SC (soarer) was available with 2.5 turbo in japan
Old 08-20-11, 06:13 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf

Hybrid is not different from having an electric turbo.
In theory yes, but a turbo doesnt weigh a few hundred pounds and take up half your trunk space.
Old 08-20-11, 06:28 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Incredible
That LBSI survey is for 2008, are there data for the other years with the same survey or do they do this every few years?
There are. I don't have them with me on hand, but typically the top 4 "high net worth" luxury brands are Porsche, Mercedes Benz, Lexus, and BMW with Porsche almost invariably holding the number 1 spot and the other 3 swapping amongst each other year to year.

Also, please note that there's an entirely separate category for ultra high net worth luxury vehicles like Rolls Royce or Maybach. It's interesting because they ask both high net worth individuals (most of whom cannot afford these cars) and ultra high net worth individuals (most of whom can comfortably afford these cars), and the results are different.

For 2011, high net worth individuals with median incomes of $200,000+ ranked the most prestigious ultra luxury autos as follows:

1. Maybach
2. Bentley
3. Bugatti Veyron

But, ultra high net worth individuals ("with weighted average household income of $845,000 and average investable assets of $16.6 million...") saw things slightly differently -

1. Rolls Royce
2. Bentley
3. Maybach

HNWI (Liquid assets $1M-$5M) seemed to overrate the prestige of Maybach and Bugatti. UHNWI (people who can actually afford these cars) saw Maybach as extremely prestigious, but not the most prestigious ultra luxury auto.
Old 08-20-11, 07:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
what costs less, producing more LFA V10s or redesigning an all new V10...?
the problem is even if they make 30k more lfa engines (let's just say they want to sell that many), the cost of the engine is still going to blow up the price of the gsf

to me a derivative of the v10, possible.

Originally Posted by J.P.
I don’t care about lap times, I don’t care about super low 0 to 60’s, don’t care about racing on the street let alone in a sedan.

It’s about the driving experience to me, and that part is most enjoyable with a reasonably high powered, amazing sounding v8-v10-v12.

For many auto enthusiasts they enjoy the sound, mechanics and raw power of a gasoline engine, I don’t see that fading anytime soon.

Bring on the GS-F
amen, someone speaks with wisdom. it's MOSTLY about experience. i know a lot of isf, m3, m5, c63, e63, cls63, etc... owners. i probably know of maybe TWO who really bring their cars to track often and push their cars that way.

the others? it's about the experience, the sound, that feeling

Originally Posted by Mr Bond
Many BMW M5 enthusiast ( at least here in Europe ) are not to happy at all with the switch from a high-rpm V10 to this "boring" 6000 rpm V8. It was the same with M3, not too many prefers the V8 over the former high-rpm straight six. Thats for sure.

If Lexus makes a high-rpm V10 and the car handles like a M or AMG then both BMW and AMG drivers are going to buy the GSF.
the new m5 redline is at 6000rpm? are you sure?

but of course, i am with you, i am disappointed about non-NA m3/5

Originally Posted by MR_F1
not enough torque.
number game again. tq values on paper doesn't mean much. the lfa puts down great amount of tq. almost all high rev engines, due to design, have small tq numbers. formula 1 cars, the tq number is very disappointing on paper, but the car goes like crazy.
Old 08-20-11, 07:24 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by syzygy
Lots of people.

The difference between spending $50k and $80k on a car is very little. The usual demographic for buying $50k-$100k cars = high net worth individuals (liquid assets of $1M+) making approximately $200,000/year or more.

People who push into the $100k-$120k range tend to have higher disposable income. For example, the median income for LS600hL buyers is $400,000/year.

Porsche 911 ($95K+ with options even for the base model) owners boast a median income of about $375,000/year.

And really, $80,000 for a GS-F that adequately competes with the M5 is absolutely phenomenal. That's very reasonable pricing for a ~500HP GS-F.
Originally Posted by syzygy
And this notion that "really rich" customers are not Lexus customers is absurd. Every objective bit of data that's available points to the opposite conclusion.

Wealthy individuals consider Lexus to be among the most prestigious of car brands -

"The proprietary Luxury Brand Status Index (LBSI) survey is the only measure of the prestige of leading brands among wealthy Americans. A national sample of 1,642 wealthy American consumers, with an average income of $349K and average net-worth of $3.7 million, was surveyed online. Survey results are weighted to match demographic and net worth profiles of the same audience according to the latest Survey of Consumer Finances from The Federal Reserve.

May 7, 2008 -- High net-worth consumers rated Porsche the most prestigious luxury automobile in the 2008 Luxury Brand Status Index (LBSI). Respondents who would recommend Porsche say, "They are world-class sports cars for the true connoisseur," and, "They have a good reputation for performance." Lexus and Mercedes ranked second and third respectively."

People with multimillion dollar average net worths and near middle six figure incomes ranked Lexus as the 2nd most prestigious brand, second only to Porsche.

But maybe you were talking about really rich people with net worths of $25M+ and average 7 figure incomes. I don't know. You'll have to define what you mean by "really rich."
I think ya'll took my comments out of context. What I don't think is that the really rich folks who are driving BMW Ms and AMG's are going to step down to a Lexus "F". On the other hand, I don't think that current GS350 drivers are going to suddenly decide to buy a GS-F for $80k, or whatever. If they wanted an $80k performance sedan they would already be driving one, and not likely a Lexus.

I didn't mean to imply that really rich folks don't drive Lexus. Sorry if I worded that wrong. If you re-read what I said, I was saying that the rich folks who want a high performance $80+ sedan are already driving an M-B or BMW. My point was, were are the $80K "F" buyers going to come from. So that is my question to ya'll. Who do you think is going to buy it, what are they coming out of, and what would they buy if the "F" didn't exist?

From a marketing standpoint, those are the questions that Lexus has to answer to make a business case for the car, and they have to figure out how to target them.
Old 08-20-11, 07:48 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by jjscsix
I think ya'll took my comments out of context. What I don't think is that the really rich folks who are driving BMW Ms and AMG's are going to step down to a Lexus "F". On the other hand, I don't think that current GS350 drivers are going to suddenly decide to buy a GS-F for $80k, or whatever. If they wanted an $80k performance sedan they would already be driving one, and not likely a Lexus.

I didn't mean to imply that really rich folks don't drive Lexus. Sorry if I worded that wrong. If you re-read what I said, I was saying that the rich folks who want a high performance $80+ sedan are already driving an M-B or BMW. My point was, were are the $80K "F" buyers going to come from. So that is my question to ya'll. Who do you think is going to buy it, what are they coming out of, and what would they buy if the "F" didn't exist?

From a marketing standpoint, those are the questions that Lexus has to answer to make a business case for the car, and they have to figure out how to target them.
lol you think Lexus hasn't answered those questions yet? what do you think they started F brand, F sport and the LFA for?

You think all ISF buyers were from nowhere? Some came from AMG, some came from M, some were just Lexus buyers looking for a more thrilling experience.

Saying that Lexus can't command high performance buyers is a unbacked statement. There is a reason why they roll out so hard with the F brand, from a marketing standpoint, I'm sure Lexus knows what they are doing.

Last edited by G Star; 08-20-11 at 08:01 PM.
Old 08-20-11, 07:56 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

If they make a proper car, and reasonably priced the buyers will show up. Of course there will always be those that will never switch to Lexus, no matter what Lexus will offer. But there are millions of other drivers that like to try something new, exciting. It all of course depends on what the Lexus will bring to the table

Quick Reply: Official GS-F discussion