GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Official GS-F discussion

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-11, 01:37 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the engine or the method doesn't matter to me. What matters to me (and for others) is at least 500 hp for a potential GS-F.
Old 08-20-11, 02:02 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
what costs less, producing more LFA V10s or redesigning an all new V10...?
As much as I would love for a GS-F to carry the LFA v10, I wouldn't want the LFA to lose its exclusivity and neither does Lexus. Sometimes its not about cost, it is about marketing and reputation.
Old 08-20-11, 02:41 AM
Squirrelz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll sell whatever spare organs I can so I can buy one if it gets a V10.
Old 08-20-11, 03:49 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Arrow MotorTrend

Lexus GS chief engineer, Yoshihiko Kanamori, is in the right state of mind, following the likes of the phrase, “if the shoe fits, wear it.” The former Toyota body engineer hints the future 2013 GS F model will carry LFA design cues – and possibly, its super powers – in the form of a version of the 4.8-liter V-10 engine found in the $400,000 supercar. Why? Because it fits.

Mr. Kanamori said Lexus never planned to carry on with the V-10 project, but that it was “technically feasible to fit the engine into the new GS.” Futher proving the idea has been seriously pondered, he said the engine would have to be detuned to deliver more torque instead of power.

“But I am not sure,” he said. “We have some plan for the next F model.”

Such uncertainty is not necessarily a bad sign. The IS F sports sedan also started off as just a side project, and it seems as though the V-10 GS F is headed down the same path. Another factor helping the situation is the fact the V-8 model is being dropped from the lineup.

The Lexus team is currently preparing the GS F Sport models set to appear later in the year, and offered a peek at what those models may look like in a presentation slide at Pebble Beach. Given a more aggressive appearance, the F models will have LFA characteristics found in the LF-Gh concept, with the ‘spindle-grille’ looking meaner with a partly blacked-out bar across the center of the main opening.

The standard GS450h is also headed to Frankfurt in September, and while staying tight-lipped about in-depth details, Mr. Kanamori spoke rather highly about it. He said it would “outperform” the current 4.6-liter V-8 GS460. But that shouldn’t require much. The current GS450h hits 0-60 in 5.9 seconds (0.1 seconds slower than the GS460) with its 3.5-liter V-6 engine and 650-volt electric motor.

The advances Lexus is making with hybrid technology is the sole reason the V-8 is being dropped from Lexus’ lineup altogether.

But of course, let’s not forget about the plug-in hybrid version of the GS350, which is also scheduled to bow at the Frankfurt auto show, and make it to production a lot sooner than previously thought. Mr. Kanamori said, “We should be starting to think about it in the current model life.”
Old 08-20-11, 05:01 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

If they make it too exotic - which will equal too expensive, the car won't sell. Lexus just doesn't have a following to sell a 80-90k performance sedan. Think about it - where would the buyers come from? BMW and M-B drivers are not going to make the switch. They will be looking for buyers to move up from a current Lexus. How many people today can afford a 50k GS and next year a 80K car?

The reality is that in order for it to sell it will have to be priced under $70k. In my mind, that gets something like the current IS-F. That uses current V8 engine MAYBE upgraded a little.

Now, that doesn't mean they wont try for something more grandiose but I can't see how it would sell. They have to overcome two things. One is that Lexus is all new to the game (I don't consider the IS-F a factor). And the times they are a changing. M5's and AMG's still sell because the really rich folks will always be out there and will always be really rich. But they are not Lexus customers - at least not in the performance world.
Old 08-20-11, 06:25 AM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Originally Posted by G Star
As much as I would love for a GS-F to carry the LFA v10, I wouldn't want the LFA to lose its exclusivity and neither does Lexus. Sometimes its not about cost, it is about marketing and reputation.
Take the same v10, slice off 2 pistons and give us a 8500rpm v8 with 450-475hp and I am more than happy.
Old 08-20-11, 06:30 AM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

The standard GS450h is also headed to Frankfurt in September, and while staying tight-lipped about in-depth details, Mr. Kanamori spoke rather highly about it. He said it would “outperform” the current 4.6-liter V-8 GS460. But that shouldn’t require much. The current GS450h hits 0-60 in 5.9 seconds (0.1 seconds slower than the GS460) with its 3.5-liter V-6 engine and 650-volt electric motor.
They can have a hybrid that does 0 to 60 in 2.3 seconds, I still do not want it.

I don’t care about lap times, I don’t care about super low 0 to 60’s, don’t care about racing on the street let alone in a sedan.

It’s about the driving experience to me, and that part is most enjoyable with a reasonably high powered, amazing sounding v8-v10-v12.

For many auto enthusiasts they enjoy the sound, mechanics and raw power of a gasoline engine, I don’t see that fading anytime soon.

Bring on the GS-F
Old 08-20-11, 06:46 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I think in this economy anything over $60K is a lot. It's just not the right time for such cars. They will sell, but just not as much
Old 08-20-11, 07:22 AM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jjscsix
BMW and M-B drivers are not going to make the switch. They will be looking for buyers to move up from a current Lexus.
Many BMW M5 enthusiast ( at least here in Europe ) are not to happy at all with the switch from a high-rpm V10 to this "boring" 6000 rpm V8. It was the same with M3, not too many prefers the V8 over the former high-rpm straight six. Thats for sure.

If Lexus makes a high-rpm V10 and the car handles like a M or AMG then both BMW and AMG drivers are going to buy the GSF.
Old 08-20-11, 07:23 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
It's not going to be the exact same V10, and the LFA is MUCH MUCH MORE than about it's V10 engine, and putting a V10 in a GS-F is good for Lexus marketing and reputation.
Old 08-20-11, 07:25 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
I think in this economy anything over $60K is a lot. It's just not the right time for such cars. They will sell, but just not as much
They are not high volume sellers in the best of times ......
Old 08-20-11, 09:45 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

not enough torque.
Old 08-20-11, 10:03 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99

Thanks Good to hear they are cosidering it. But a modified V10 sounds A WHOLE LOT better than a hybrid, I just don't think a hybrid would be suitable for a GS-F at all
Heck yeah!

Plus a screaming V10 (like the old m5) sounds a lot better than a damn hybrid (no pun intended). Nothing like a roar instead of whisper quiet wot

Man, imagine skipping a v8 and throwing in a v10
Old 08-20-11, 11:59 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just turbo a V8 like what BMW and Benz doing. Hell, even turbo v6 GS sounds good.
Old 08-20-11, 12:23 PM
eyecon7
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think they should use a hybrid for the GS-F i think thats stupid, F is for performance your not buying it for gas milage. I hope the line up will be

GS-F (V10 500hp)
GS450H(whatever its called and at least 30miles + mpg)
GS350

Quick Reply: Official GS-F discussion