GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-10, 12:52 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Dema
For those who argue that F10 BMW can be better than GS, do not forget that fully loaded 535i with head up display and all these electronics gizmos has MSRP $68K when fully equipped GS350 is just $52K. I can take LS460 for $68K with extra smooth V8 and it will be much better car than 535i.
talking about msrp is a moot point, coz' a lot of times cars are discounted with all kind of incentives. not to mention a lot of bmw are leased and when it comes to lease rates / incentives, bmw are usually ahead of lexus. case in point, isf msrp is quite a bit cheaper than e90 m3, but when you lease both cars, payment probably about the same

on the voice input, very good point, i agree. but lexus definitely needs to improve their voice recognition system. over the past years their voice recognition system hasn't been very impressive
Old 09-09-10, 11:18 AM
Dema
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rominl, it is a good point and I always share it with you. Comparing cars by MSRP is pointless. So I intentionally put MSRP in my post. If we look in TMV, then difference will be even bigger. I was looking for a new car this July, so my finalists were GS350 (really like it), 535i, and E350. (Cars left behind were A6, S80V8, M37, RL, XF) When I came in BMW dealership they had just few 535i. Two of them were no options with MSRP $52K and one fully loaded $68K. Obviously considering that the car just came out, dealer was willing to negotiate about $1K off MSRP and even considering high residual for BMW, lease payments were too high for me. Next door Lexus dealership has full lot of GS350, fully loaded all possible color combinations. Lease deal was pretty good considering $820 BMW against $520 Lexus. I am sure that the end of next year lease difference will be much less. So certainly Lexus should speedup delivering of next generation of GS. Otherwise all GS will be sitting in dealer’s lot without moving. I will be on market for a new car at the end of next year so I hope to buy 4th generation of GS at that time.
Old 09-09-10, 12:26 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Rominl, it is a good point and I always share it with you. Comparing cars by MSRP is pointless. So I intentionally put MSRP in my post. If we look in TMV, then difference will be even bigger. I was looking for a new car this July, so my finalists were GS350 (really like it), 535i, and E350. (Cars left behind were A6, S80V8, M37, RL, XF) When I came in BMW dealership they had just few 535i. Two of them were no options with MSRP $52K and one fully loaded $68K. Obviously considering that the car just came out, dealer was willing to negotiate about $1K off MSRP and even considering high residual for BMW, lease payments were too high for me. Next door Lexus dealership has full lot of GS350, fully loaded all possible color combinations. Lease deal was pretty good considering $820 BMW against $520 Lexus. I am sure that the end of next year lease difference will be much less. So certainly Lexus should speedup delivering of next generation of GS. Otherwise all GS will be sitting in dealer’s lot without moving. I will be on market for a new car at the end of next year so I hope to buy 4th generation of GS at that time.
yes, most definitely agree with you. when i first looked at the new 535 (just came out), payment was at a laughable 1k / month. i told them my payment on my gs350 and asked them how they remotely think it's possible to get me to lease their cars.

but yeah, i think once the new 4gs is out, we will be able to see how the vehicles stack up each other
Old 09-09-10, 03:18 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I find the generation 6 navigation, while better than the gen 5, is still useless for voice recognition. When driving the HS250 and the RX350 loaners I have found the mouse to be pretty painful too. Touchscreen works best. If they had Ford SYNC level voice control, then I would use that. But they don't.

Also I think a head-up display is a much better solution than moving the screen high on the dash. Lexus should just offer a head-up display, and have a touch screen within reach.

If they want to go the high screen method, and they don't have Microsoft's voice recognition, then they should go for touchpad with handwriting recognition like Audi has. That system is really easy to use and superior to the touchscreen.
Old 09-09-10, 03:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

lexus already has heads up display. the rx has it
Old 09-09-10, 04:13 PM
Dema
Pole Position

Speech recognition was dramatically improved in German cars. I couldn't use it with my thick accent in previous generations, but surprisingly I can enter address just speaking it with 85% success now.
Old 09-09-10, 08:08 PM
mikesm
Rookie

Indeed losing touch screen is a big deal, however it doesn't work in motion anyway. So other makers just put accent on voice entry, which is near of perfect for Lexus. So to catch up with Europeans, lifting screen on top of dash is not bad idea making voice control as main input for it.
Not allowing the touchscreen to work in motion is a legal stupidity of Toyota. My wife's Acura MDX has no such restrictions, just like Ford sync based systems.
Old 09-14-10, 06:54 PM
mdw131
Lead Lap

Ive been trying to decide on a mid-size car myself...

Recently went to BMW near me but for a 535 lease they wanted 5000 down and mid to high 600's. Test drove a 528 which felt/looked HORRIBLE. Leather is hard and plastic feeling. Dash is so German aesthetically perfunctory. Exhaust went from one on both sides in 535 to double on one side. The car had no go on straight aways, my girlfriend's VW bug feels peppier.

Test drove an M37. It has the Japanese ergonomics. Nice plush interior, well manicured dash. Sporty engine. With sport package looked aggressive.

Test drove an A6 3.2. In between 5 series and M for interior. Serviceable engine. Very comfortable inside and "attractive" outside. Salesman jumped on and hung on open door to show build quality...whatever...

Went to a GIANT lexus dealer near me...No GS on lot the first time. Second time(last friday) they only had ONE GS...a 2010...parked on like a warehouse/storage...so couldnt test drive. They said they mainly stock/sell ES and RX with some IS peppered in. Everything else they just order....WTF? Was quoted as 1500 down and 650 a month for GS350...not really impressed.

Didnt even check MB as they quoted me 3500 down and 700 a month for M350.

Right now I'm leaning toward M37 but the girlfriend prefers prestige of german cars, especially Audi. Think Audi may actually be cheaper...there is ad in paper for zero down 599 a month. But its always bait and switch because Infiniti advertises 529 a month, zero down but when you get it well equipped it then becomes a "couple grand down with price in the mid 600's."

Considering option to take my sister's IS250 lease that matures 4/2011 so I can see new 4GS and maybe A6.

Originally Posted by rominl
yes, most definitely agree with you. when i first looked at the new 535 (just came out), payment was at a laughable 1k / month. i told them my payment on my gs350 and asked them how they remotely think it's possible to get me to lease their cars.

but yeah, i think once the new 4gs is out, we will be able to see how the vehicles stack up each other
Old 09-14-10, 08:14 PM
Pavlov
Driver School Candidate

What price are you expecting, mdw131? Seems you dispute all of them as if they're outrageous, but they sound about right.

Although you are talking about a lease, so I am not sure really; YMMV.

How'd you like the 535 apart from the price? I went with a GS 350 and test drove the 535, but while it was (expectedly) sporty and a nice drive, it didn't have the right feel for me. Not a big fan of orange instrumentation panels either, but that's a nitpicky preference.
Old 09-15-10, 10:27 AM
Dema
Pole Position

Nice shopping experience. You certainly should drive GS. You will be surprised and impressed. I have 3 dealers Lexus, Infiniti and Acura under the same ownership, so I can easily drive one car after other. M37 interior looked as spaceship and car was driven as a tank, plus it was very noisy at acceleration. GS was completely different. Very light feel, effortless acceleration, good feeling of suspension and car is very drivable, it does exactly what you want. All GS are good equipped, backup camera, xenon, rain sensing wipers, keyless start... German cars a different, every option will cost you $$$. My Audi dealer was opposite. It had only two A6 3.2 but very basic models, no keyless start and I do not consider a car without the option anymore. I had different opinion about 535i. I wasn’t impressed with driving experience, however valued interior over all competitors including Infiniti. Tell you GF that no special image of German cars anymore. If she want something special then you should look for Italian cars.
Old 09-24-10, 12:32 PM
LexusMan77
Pole Position

Anyone have any idea when we can expect to see the next generation GS? Detroit or New York autoshow perhaps? Hope Lexus did their homework on this fourth generation.
Old 09-24-10, 03:13 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mdw131
Ive been trying to decide on a mid-size car myself...

Recently went to BMW near me but for a 535 lease they wanted 5000 down and mid to high 600's. Test drove a 528 which felt/looked HORRIBLE. Leather is hard and plastic feeling. Dash is so German aesthetically perfunctory. Exhaust went from one on both sides in 535 to double on one side. The car had no go on straight aways, my girlfriend's VW bug feels peppier.

Test drove an M37. It has the Japanese ergonomics. Nice plush interior, well manicured dash. Sporty engine. With sport package looked aggressive.

Test drove an A6 3.2. In between 5 series and M for interior. Serviceable engine. Very comfortable inside and "attractive" outside. Salesman jumped on and hung on open door to show build quality...whatever...

Went to a GIANT lexus dealer near me...No GS on lot the first time. Second time(last friday) they only had ONE GS...a 2010...parked on like a warehouse/storage...so couldnt test drive. They said they mainly stock/sell ES and RX with some IS peppered in. Everything else they just order....WTF? Was quoted as 1500 down and 650 a month for GS350...not really impressed.

Didnt even check MB as they quoted me 3500 down and 700 a month for M350.

Right now I'm leaning toward M37 but the girlfriend prefers prestige of german cars, especially Audi. Think Audi may actually be cheaper...there is ad in paper for zero down 599 a month. But its always bait and switch because Infiniti advertises 529 a month, zero down but when you get it well equipped it then becomes a "couple grand down with price in the mid 600's."

Considering option to take my sister's IS250 lease that matures 4/2011 so I can see new 4GS and maybe A6.
The notion of Audi A6, a front wheel drive car built on the lowly VW Passat platform having prestige over a Lexus GS just astonishes me! BMW and Mercedes have prestige, Audi A6 is a combination of marketing and lip gloss imo.

I think GS stock levels are low because of the 2010 to 2011 switch over, and Lexus is trying to be disciplined in not being stuck with old inventory which they have to sell cheap. Go to JM Lexus - they have much better inventory than LNM and you should find plenty of GS350s on the lot very soon.
Old 09-24-10, 06:38 PM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusMan77
Anyone have any idea when we can expect to see the next generation GS? Detroit or New York autoshow perhaps? Hope Lexus did their homework on this fourth generation.
Having recently driven a E350 and the 535, Lexus better step it up with the 4GS or the media will be comparing it to Buicks and Cadillacs and not MBs or BMWs. Hyundai is already just a 1/2 step behind Lexus (ref: Genesis and Equus).
Old 09-24-10, 08:22 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Bushwack
Having recently driven a E350 and the 535, Lexus better step it up with the 4GS or the media will be comparing it to Buicks and Cadillacs and not MBs or BMWs. Hyundai is already just a 1/2 step behind Lexus (ref: Genesis and Equus).
The media is already comparing Lexus to Buick.
Old 09-24-10, 09:20 PM
Dema
Pole Position

I am not sure it is fair. I did shopping for a new car this summer and although I did test most of new models of competitors, GS was my finalist. It was a dealer fault that I ended by a different car.

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)