GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-11, 07:12 AM
kikcaffine
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
I agree. This is the best kink on a concept if you ask me. Nice sculpting of a grill frame coming out and bending over as grill mesh itself is angled to follow hood line.

2011 IS has those same brake cooling ducts at the bottom
Old 06-28-11, 07:35 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Batman, I'm not picking on you but the arguement and crap flung at Lexus over the years is "they don't offer manuals". So now, its okay to NOT have a manual? This is the double standard against Lexus I speak of, its really out of control.
Yeah so that argument is now out of date. It's not a double standard - it's a sign of changing times and technologies.

The argument still applies, but the current argument against Lexus on this dimension is that they don't offer dual clutch transmissions or sport automatics (except on the ISF and LS460 Sport). Why is it not an option on every model of Lexus (with the legitimate exception of the hybrids)?

I think the answer would be because Lexus doesn't offer sport packages, so why offer a sport automatic.

Well that answer isn't good either, because lexus is beginning to push sport packages - e.g. on the IS. So they should offer these transmissions as an option across the board (possible as part of a sports package on every model).

I think Lexus should do what Mercedes does with the C-Class - have a Sport and a Luxury for every model. Sport should be F-Sport with enhanced aerokit, black mesh or vertical vent grille, sport auto, and F-Sport suspension, sways, lowered, bigger wheels, etc. Luxury can have the traditional chrome horizontal Lexus grille, high ride height, higher profile tires, etc.

If Lexus wants to recapture number 1 in US (and become number 3 worldwide) I don't see them doing it with a half-baked approach to the sportier customers.

They don't need manuals though. The fact that AMG can do with manuals, means Lexus can do without manuals. They aren't competing with Porsche. Maybe they can offer it on their entry level models as a cost saver.
Old 06-28-11, 08:33 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
As much as I hate to say this, the more I see of the 4GS, the more worried I am about it.
worried about...?
Old 06-28-11, 09:39 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^The fact that it seems to be much more closely related to the LF-Gh than I was hoping for. It should have been more obvious to me, as all the signs were there, but I was hoping that the LF-Gh was just a design exercise and that the GS would look significantly different.

Based on the latest pics, it looks like they are adding side mirrors, door handles and a less garish front end to the LF-Gh and calling it the 2013 GS. I think I've seen enough Lexus spy pics over the years to accurately predict the outcome here.
Old 06-28-11, 10:00 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

^The fact that it seems to be much more closely related to the LF-Gh than I was hoping for. It should have been more obvious to me, as all the signs were there, but I was hoping that the LF-Gh was just a design exercise and that the GS would look significantly different.

Based on the latest pics, it looks like they are adding side mirrors, door handles and a less garish front end to the LF-Gh and calling it the 2013 GS. I think I've seen enough Lexus spy pics over the years to accurately predict the outcome here.
so i guess you aren't very happy about the lf-gh huh? just trying to understand what you think the problem is

fwiw i am not very impressed with the lf-gh either
Old 06-28-11, 10:38 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Seems like they are using those ugly roundish foglights that CT has.
Old 06-28-11, 11:02 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
so i guess you aren't very happy about the lf-gh huh? just trying to understand what you think the problem is

fwiw i am not very impressed with the lf-gh either
As a general concept and design exercise, I do like the LF-Gh. Lexus has touted it as "the bold new face of Lexus" and I think that is very telling...IMO...this concept was a way for them to tease the public and gauge perception on their idea of what the next generation "face of Lexus" should look like. Fair enough.

As a blueprint for an actual production vehicle, I'm left stratching my head. Look at the LF-Gh and then imagine a toned down, production ready front end and 18" wheels 40-45 series rubber, with side mirrors and normal headlights. Now imagine it in colors like white or silver without the lighting effects that Lexus has in many of their press photos. To me, that's not a very pretty image. While you could argue that Mercedes and BMW are overstlying their cars lately, I think the LF-Gh is painstakingly understyled.

Once you get over the boldness/brashness/OMG of the front end, this car is very, very, very bland. While plenty of people have called the 3GS anonymous or forgettable, there was a very definite "GS" quality to the car - long hood, low roofline, short decklid, wheels stretched to the corners, good mix of curves and soft edges, etc. The LF-Gh has much more of a big-bodied sedan persona and doesnt look anything like a GS to me. Infact, it looks much more like a next generation Toyota Crown or Lexus LS in my eyes:

The neat, tapered proportions and coupe-esque detailing are gone. The sides of the LF-Gh are painfully flat and boring. Yeah...it has fender flares...welcome to the party, Lexus. The kink in the side skirt as actually rather stupid, IMO, and looks like someone took the back half of the car and twisted it 360 degrees to create a weird fold. The back end is un-GS-ly large and high. Looking at it directly from the back, I think 5GT or X6 in height and character. It's conservative and neat, but doesn't leave much of an impression. Again, the subtle aggression and neat, clean proportions of the 2 and 3GS are not present in this design.

There are certain pictures, like this one, where you see more detail and think, "Whoa! Nice!" but after the front end, the car totally falls apart, IMO.

Other people have noted the details in the LF-Gh and while subtle detailing has always been a Lexus hallmark, I was just expecting more outward aggression and attitude. Details are important but overall, the LF-Gh doesn't make enough of a first impression for me to look further or care about the details.

I hope the 4GS is different...

Last edited by MPLexus301; 06-28-11 at 11:06 AM.
Old 06-28-11, 04:29 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by derfp2
How come no one is talking about the spy pics from the 25th???????
these?

yeah, nothing to see.

but i'm glad they're doing some real world testing. Maybe this time they can prevent dashboard rattles.
Attached Thumbnails 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)-11-06-25-2012-lexus-gs-side-profile.jpg  

Last edited by dunnojack; 06-28-11 at 04:39 PM.
Old 06-28-11, 05:16 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The neat, tapered proportions and coupe-esque detailing are gone.

I hope the 4GS is different...

Coupeish silhouette is gone due to raised A pillar and long trunk. Spy car seems like it has shorter trunk so there is a chance that it could retain some of it.
Old 06-28-11, 05:22 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

well hopefully this time around there is enough trunk space and back head room, which were major failures of GS3, so I could care less for the design when it comes to those two.
Old 06-28-11, 07:18 PM
krschee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

saw a TV commercial about the LF-Gh this evening. basically, there were just shots from the website. could this be progress on a imminent release date? this was in Texas.
Old 06-29-11, 12:05 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

enough of the exterior, I want to see interior!
Old 06-29-11, 12:45 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Mods please ban the word bland in this thread, it is getting ridiculous in here.

Has nobody ever heard of industrial design?

It is amazing the abundance of design experts in here.
Old 06-29-11, 01:50 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star

It is amazing the abundance of design experts in here.
That's right...everyone on CL is an "expert".

The same thing happened when the 3rd gen GS was covered up...then unveiled. Most everyone hated it (mainly 2nd Gen GS owners). Everyone accused 3rd Gen GS to be too bland, boring, ugly, looks like an Altima.

It's a trend people...we go through this every time a new Lexus model comes out. Everyone starts over analyzing/obsessing over pictures of a covered up car. I personally will reserve my judgement when I actually see it up close and in person...not from pics floating around the internet.
Old 06-29-11, 01:56 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
is it me or does it look like a really big car? if so, i wonder if the LS will be getting bigger too
Its an illusion. Most of the pics posted of LF-Gh and the test mule are zoomed in. LOL and I thought you were a photogeek?!

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)