GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Malfunction issues after lowering car

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-21, 11:15 AM
Euphoric
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Malfunction issues after lowering car

Before I take the car to the dealer I wanted to see if anyone had seen this problem, and/or know what to take a look at as a root cause.

Nothing out of the ordinary happened. Installed some coilovers, had the car aligned and all was well for two weeks as I drove it and let the springs settle. No issues at this point. I took the car back to the shop, had them lower the rear 1/2" inch more and recheck the alignment. After this was done the issues arose. I thought they may have messed up an ABS sensor, or wiring for one, but when I pulled the rear wheels, and looked, they all were tidy and fine. It seems like the front camera is out of alignment maybe, but not sure how this happened by just lowering the rear.

Anyway, like I said, I visually checked the rear ABS sensors and they looked untouched and fine. I cleaned the in front of the camera above the rear view mirror, and cleaned all sensors in the grill/front bumper to no avail. Not really sure where to move from here, but I am hoping someone has experienced this or has and idea on where to start for a DIY diagnosis.

I'm including shots of what is showing up as faults.

Old 11-01-21, 08:42 PM
initial
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

The headlight issue is common when you lower the car. You just need to readjust them. The other errors, I have no idea.
Old 11-01-21, 11:40 PM
Neil64
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Rear Height Control Sensor

This should help you with your headlight system error. See post #8 of the thread. I wonder if the rest of your errors resolve once you adjust the rear height control sensor.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ng-system.html

Old 11-02-21, 03:05 AM
Lead Lap

Received 741 Likes on 499 Posts

You need to re-calibrate the front facing camera used for Lane Departure, recalibrate VGRS. recalibrate Headlights.
The following users liked this post:
NJLEXES (11-03-21)
Old 11-02-21, 08:27 AM
Euphoric
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Neil64
This should help you with your headlight system error. See post #8 of the thread. I wonder if the rest of your errors resolve once you adjust the rear height control sensor.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ng-system.html
Looks like a pain. I'll adjust the headlights manually, and see if that helps before trying that. Thanks for the link and info.

Originally Posted by 703
You need to re-calibrate the front facing camera used for Lane Departure, recalibrate VGRS. recalibrate Headlights.
Yeah, but why though? What might have happened that would cause that from lowering the rear 1/2" more? There's plenty of these cars out there that are lower than mine, and none are having these same issues.

Headlight adjustment aside, would a broken ABS sensor cause all of that?
Old 11-02-21, 09:27 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,066 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Can you please post pics of the car? Just how low did you go...
Old 11-02-21, 10:20 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Stop ruining the car, back to stock lol.
Old 11-02-21, 12:13 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,256 Likes on 997 Posts

Originally Posted by Euphoric
Looks like a pain. I'll adjust the headlights manually, and see if that helps before trying that. Thanks for the link and info.

Yeah, but why though? What might have happened that would cause that from lowering the rear 1/2" more? There's plenty of these cars out there that are lower than mine, and none are having these same issues.

It could be just that yours was alighted finite to start with.
Old 11-02-21, 12:23 PM
Lead Lap

nope. Not the abs Sensor. The dynamic rear steering actuator needs to be re-initialised and off Center memory re-learnt after any steering parts or rear suspension are adjusted or replaced. It’s a normal procedure. Most GS out there don’t have DRS. This is done with the wheels off the ground as the actuators need to turn.

DRS is required to be functional for PCS, LKA etc to function.

Relax nothing is broken. Whoever did the lowering are clueless about these cars computer systems. Also takes 20 trips for the detection logic to trigger a malfunction, so probably the fault was already there the day you drove the car off.

Last edited by 703; 11-02-21 at 12:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Neil64 (11-02-21)
Old 11-02-21, 01:14 PM
Euphoric
Pole Position

Originally Posted by E46CT
Can you please post pics of the car? Just how low did you go...
It's not absurdly low or anything.

Originally Posted by peasodos
Stop ruining the car, back to stock lol.
#NeverRollsStockCrew

Originally Posted by 703
nope. Not the abs Sensor. The dynamic rear steering actuator needs to be re-initialised and off Center memory re-learnt after any steering parts or rear suspension are adjusted or replaced. It’s a normal procedure. Most GS out there don’t have DRS. This is done with the wheels off the ground as the actuators need to turn.

DRS is required to be functional for PCS, LKA etc to function.

Relax nothing is broken. Whoever did the lowering are clueless about these cars computer systems. Also takes 20 trips for the detection logic to trigger a malfunction, so probably the fault was already there the day you drove the car off.
Now that there makes sense. And now that you said that, after that final alignment, I remember the guy saying that he did not initially check the box in the system for the car having the DRS before taking it out for a spin. When he got back from the test drive he went back in and ticked the box for it. Maybe that's where, and what f'd it up. Thanks a lot for that info.

Is this something I can fix with Techstream myself or more of a dealer thing?
The following 4 users liked this post by Euphoric:
byungkuk (11-02-21), Im2bz2p345 (11-03-21), initial (11-02-21), Neil64 (11-03-21)
Old 11-02-21, 03:03 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Yeah that's not crazy low at all. Man that looks really good actually!
Old 11-02-21, 04:07 PM
Lead Lap

#NeverRollsStockCrew

yes you can do it yourself with Techstream as long as you can lift the rear wheels up off the ground. But don’t do other calibrations other than DRS as your car wont be level.
Old 11-02-21, 10:06 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,256 Likes on 997 Posts

#NeverRollsStockCrew

Now that there makes sense. And now that you said that, after that final alignment, I remember the guy saying that he did not initially check the box in the system for the car having the DRS before taking it out for a spin. When he got back from the test drive he went back in and ticked the box for it. Maybe that's where, and what f'd it up. Thanks a lot for that info.

Looks really good. What Wheels are those?