ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-4th-gen-2013-2020-237/)
-   -   Driver door handle leather wrinkled (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-4th-gen-2013-2020/845491-driver-door-handle-leather-wrinkled.html)

Dallasguy1 01-26-17 01:57 PM

Driver door handle leather wrinkled

1 Attachment(s)
I have noticed this on my driver side and had this similar problem in my last GS aswell looks like it's a problem with these cars. Any idea is this is covered under warranty.

JDR76 01-26-17 02:06 PM

I have the same thing on mine.

I haven't messed with it because I am certain a replacement one would be in the same condition in a short period of time, so the hassle of having my door taken apart and the piece replaced doesn't seem worth it to me.

You could try for a warranty repair, but I would assume they'll just label it was wear/tear and decline.

er34 01-26-17 02:47 PM

I've always wondered, is that actually leather?

Same question for the dash - though I'm more certain that is not real leather.

JDR76 01-26-17 06:13 PM

The dash and door panels are not leather.

Dallasguy1 01-26-17 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
Interesting... is this a location where constant pressure is applied? Somewhere you might lean against without knowing? Maybe where you grab the door on occasion? Seems odd for wrinkles to just appear where there is nothing rubbing, pushing or leaning against it. How old (year and or mileage) is your car?

Not sure about the material.

My car is 14" with 30k miles the one I had before this was 14" with 37k miles also had similar wrinkles and the foam underneath seems to be flat so I could actually feel the plastic.

Dallasguy1 01-26-17 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by JDR76
I have the same thing on mine.

I haven't messed with it because I am certain a replacement one would be in the same condition in a short period of time, so the hassle of having my door taken apart and the piece replaced doesn't seem worth it to me.

You could try for a warranty repair, but I would assume they'll just label it was wear/tear and decline.

How many miles and year on your car ?

er34 01-26-17 07:21 PM

Do you rest your arm there much while driving? Is the passenger side also wrinkling?

Another possibility could just be due to heat.

spoogenet 01-26-17 08:00 PM

My understanding is the door trim and dash are Lexus' "pleather."

That particular location I could see being driven by use of the elbow rest. In another CPO car I looked at, I had seen the entire panel having significant waviness/ripples. Not sure what would cause the whole thing to be so bad.

I would check with the dealer on warranty, as it certainly seems to me a defect in material or workmanship.

avs20 01-26-17 09:27 PM

It is wrinkling due to pushing the door open at that point. The previous owner of my car did that, and if I open it the same way, I can see it wrinkling. I use different areas to push the door open now and the wrinkling is slowly fading away but will most likely never completely disappear.

JDR76 01-27-17 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Dallasguy1 (Post 9751281)
How many miles and year on your car ?

Mine is a '15 with 9500 miles.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...ebb06a4d3c.jpg

Sevn86 01-27-17 07:55 AM

I have the same issue on my driver side door just like you OP. I don't rest my elbow on there or anything, it's just used to push open/ close the door.

57Strat777 01-27-17 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by er34 (Post 9751083)
I've always wondered, is that actually leather?

Same question for the dash - though I'm more certain that is not real leather.

From what I can tell on my 2016 F Sport GS350, only the F&R seat faces and steering wheel is leather.

mjeds 01-27-17 09:38 AM

nothing a hair dryer or heat gun on low can't fix..

Dallasguy1 01-27-17 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by mjeds
nothing a hair dryer or heat gun on low can't fix..

Yeah but these cars were bought for 50k+ not very long ago so I don't think hair dryer or heat gun should be applied when the car is still under warranty and it clearly looks like a manufacturing problem.