ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-4th-gen-2013-2020-237/)
-   -   Hell Lots Of Brake Dusts!!! (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-4th-gen-2013-2020/670723-hell-lots-of-brake-dusts.html)

ronfsp 12-27-12 08:05 AM

Hell Lots Of Brake Dusts!!!

I have to clean my rims everyday! The front brakes is giving out so much brake dusts! If i dun clean it for a few days my matt black rims will turn greyish & it's PITA to remove the dust! Thought of changing ot the front pads to other brands like Hawk HPS which give out much less dust...

Justin2JZ 12-27-12 08:11 AM

Ceramic pads help with dust a lot.

dseag2 12-27-12 08:08 PM

Yes, there is hella dust on the front wheels of the F Sport. I'm using Wolf's Rim Shield. It doesn't necessarily keep the dust off but it sure makes it easier to clean. I just went through a car wash today (only because it is 40 degrees outside) and the wheels were immaculate. Before Rim Shield, they would have been spotted with brake dust in various areas. It's worth a try, at least until you can get ceramic pads.

I'm used to brake dust from the Audi I traded in, but our G37 Vert has virtually none and has the big Brembo brakes that are part of the Sport package. Don't get it.:uh:

SW17LS 12-27-12 08:09 PM

Even on the premium/luxury cars there's a lot of brake dust.

sydtoosic 12-27-12 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by dseag2 (Post 7671409)
Yes, there is hella dust on the front wheels of the F Sport. I'm using Wolf's Rim Shield. It doesn't necessarily keep the dust off but it sure makes it easier to clean. I just went through a car wash today (only because it is 40 degrees outside) and the wheels were immaculate. Before Rim Shield, they would have been spotted with brake dust in various areas. It's worth a try, at least until you can get ceramic pads.

I'm used to brake dust from the Audi I traded in, but our G37 Vert has virtually none and has the big Brembo brakes that are part of the Sport package. Don't get it.:uh:

the Rim Shield definitely makes it easier to clean. i washed her the other day and hosed the wheels and cleaned with a wash mitt, no scrubbing , no dirt left over. be careful with those car grinders D... i am deathly afraid of them. the soap they use (don't care what they tell you) will definitely degrade the HB you have on the car. it's cold here also but i wait until it's 40/45 degrees, then i'll wash her.

SW17LS 12-27-12 10:00 PM

Do you guys park in garages? If so you need this:

Optimum No Rinse: http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-no-rinse.html

Lifesaver in the winter, all you need is a bucket of water, a microfiber sponge (what I prefer), and a waffle weave MF towel. I wash the car in the garage in the winter.

100% safe, look for e videos on YouTube.

ericg320 12-27-12 10:14 PM

Don't notice any more than normal.

1111GS 12-28-12 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by sydtoosic (Post 7671478)
the Rim Shield definitely makes it easier to clean. i washed her the other day and hosed the wheels and cleaned with a wash mitt, no scrubbing , no dirt left over. be careful with those car grinders D... i am deathly afraid of them. the soap they use (don't care what they tell you) will definitely degrade the HB you have on the car. it's cold here also but i wait until it's 40/45 degrees, then i'll wash her.

I saw my neighbor washing his car with his jacket on when it was about 40ish outside. I love my car but cant do it. He was washing with his naked hands too. Its too cold for me. On the other hand I agree with you on the car grinders esp. we have a black car. I saw a brand new black 4gs rolling into a shell grinder a few months ago when it wasnt even cold, my heart ached.:D;)

sydtoosic 12-28-12 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by bnlexus (Post 7672526)
I saw my neighbor washing his car with his jacket on when it was about 40ish outside. I love my car but cant do it. He was washing with his naked hands too. Its too cold for me. On the other hand I agree with you on the car grinders esp. we have a black car. I saw a brand new black 4gs rolling into a shell grinder a few months ago when it wasnt even cold, my heart ached.:D;)

when it's cold i'll wear a sweatshirt, hoodie and hat. on my hands i'll use thick blue latex gloves (powder free of course:p) the guy that went into the shell grinder... i'd hate to see what his car looks like in the sun.:egads:

bentleymp2 12-28-12 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by dseag2 (Post 7671409)

Would it safe or a good idea to use Wolf's on a forged aluminum wheel with a clear coat?

How about the polished lip?

Thanks!

mrpartsman 12-28-12 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by sydtoosic (Post 7672537)
when it's cold i'll wear a sweatshirt, hoodie and hat. on my hands i'll use thick blue latex gloves (powder free of course:p) the guy that went into the shell grinder... i'd hate to see what his car looks like in the sun.:egads:

I am just like u, it was 45 deg. yesterday I had to wash my car , and when its white, u can see the brake dust on it and also after a rain a good car wash is needed.but man it was worth it, it look so good in the sun.:thumbup:

1111GS 12-28-12 06:46 PM

It was low 50 today and I wanted to wash her because it rained this morning and I couldnt stand seeing dirt marks on her (knowing it may rain again on Monday!) I attempted but it was too cold for me because of the wind. I ended up giving her a bath inside the garage!:D Unlike you I dont like latex:p. Seriously though I always wash my cars with one naked hand same way as I would do when claying.

dseag2 12-28-12 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by bentleymp2 (Post 7672769)
Would it safe or a good idea to use Wolf's on a forged aluminum wheel with a clear coat?

How about the polished lip?

Thanks!

It should be fine on the clear coat. Not sure about the polished lip. Go to Detailers Domain and see what they say.

dseag2 12-28-12 07:48 PM

Yes, it rained again today, so my clean car got dirty again. We have a few days of clear skies expected so I got out and washed it by hand in 44 degrees. Followed up with another coat of Hard Body to make up for what the car wash had done.;)

JOELC 02-13-13 03:22 PM

Finally dustless brakes for the 4th generation!!

HOLD OFF ON BUYING THE PADS!!!!!

I was INITIALLY told by EBC in the U.S. that these will fit. However, based on HIZGSF's inquiry I did some more research. I then got Three different answers from three different people at EBC!! The U.S. office is telling me that there is no distinction in their specs so that usually means they are the same application. Another guy at EBC said the pads will work because pads and calipers are the same regardless of year. He did not know however if the rotors were bigger in the FSport. I then called the UK head office. They didnt know and could not confirm. I then called Lexus who said they have two different brake pad parts for the GS and the Fsport.

So now I am unsure myself.

I will probably cancel my order now based on this new info. What I need to do is find a shop that has them in and can compare the OEM pad with the EBC pad side by side as it seems even the manufacturer themselves don't know for sure if they will fit. I will continue my search and report back when I find more info.

Well, after a season of cleaning my wheels daily from the CRAZY brake dust from these OEM pads I am happy to announce that EBC RED STUFF has a Ceramic pad that will fit the front of the 2013 GS F Sport!! YAHOO!!!

These are great pads and will cut the dust 90%. I used an inferior pad on my last Beemer and found they cut the dust as advertised. They also stop the car great as well. They are sport pads used for high end street cars. I just ordered mine now!!

The part # for the front pads is here: DP-31589C. (These are also the same fit for the 2011 IS350 front as well. They tested and found that they are the same pad specs.)

However, they do not have a pad for the back yet. They are still producing the pads for the back which will be in distribution soon. That part # will be DP-31850C.

I bought mine at CARID.com. They have them listed for $102.00 free shipping. Great guys.
http://www.carid.com/2013-lexus-gs-b...s-4211185.html

They did a price match for me with a site I found called Partsgeek.com who had them for $83.00.
http://www.partsgeek.com/ss/?i=1&ssq=dp31589c&x=0&y=0

Partsgeek did not have great reviews on their shipping and their website sucked for communicating with them etc so I sent it to CARID and they matched it based on their Price Match Guarantee.

Happy shopping ladies and gents!