GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

How to remove plastic trim piece above rear view mirror?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-19, 04:45 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
Default How to remove plastic trim piece above rear view mirror?

Hey guys. Does anyone know how to remove the plastic trim piece that sits directly above the rearview mirror? I have some water coming in through that area and I want to take a look behind it to see what’s happening.

Old 07-17-19, 05:07 PM
e-man
Pole Position

And by the way, I checked my drain tubes and they are functioning properly. So I’m not sure why water that’s getting in through the moonroof weatherstripping is coming into the car under the plastic piece.
Old 07-23-19, 07:01 AM
e-man
Pole Position

Anyone? You can actually see in that picture where the water is coming in through the seam where the plastic trim piece directly above the rear view mirror meets the overhead console. I tried removing the overhead console but after removing the two screws inside the sunglasses holder, I realized that it’s also held in by two clips in the front of the unit so I stopped because I didn’t want to break anything.
Old 07-23-19, 08:00 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Could this be residual water from leaving the sunroof open on a rainy day? Try cleaning out the sunroof area and not use the sunroof for awhile to see if thats the case.

Even if your sunroof seal was bad, the drains in the sunroof catch all the rain. Im thinking you have a leaky windshield, has your windshield ever been replaced?
Old 07-23-19, 08:09 AM
e-man
Pole Position

Thanks ibidu. Lately this has been happening every time it rains hard. I run my fingers on the inside front part of the moonroof tray and while I do feel some moisture in there, any water should drain out through the tubes in each corner.

I’ve checked the drain tubes and all four are operating correctly. With the moonroof open, I’ve poured a cup of water into each corner of the moon roof and the water drains out through the bottom of the car. Also, I’m just not seeing how water from the moon roof even if it weren’t draining correctly could end up in that spot.

The windshield is the original Lexus windshield. Have you ever heard of a situation where an original windshield will spring a leak? I agree with you that that seems to be the most logical culprit, but I would also think that if the windshield was leaking I would get wetness on the inside of the glass, and I am not. It’s just draining into that one spot.
Old 07-23-19, 09:33 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

The tricky issue with water is that when it drips it can gravitate and travel to other areas. More likely you will need to pull off that overhead console completely, if youre paranoid on breaking clips, looks for used parts on ebay and see where exactly those clips are located, that should help pulling it off without damaging your parts. You may need to pull off half the front of the headliner if you do not find anything that shows a leak.

A windshield even though it is original can still leak, sometimes rust builds up internal inside the channel of windshields. Or the glue used to bond the glass can crack overtime, allowing moisture.

Heres one on ebay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-LEXUS-...temCondition=4
Old 07-23-19, 07:34 PM
e-man
Pole Position

That’s really helpful looking at the part on eBay. I didn’t realize the overhead console was connected to the plastic trim piece that sits above the rear view mirror. I’m still not sure where the water is coming from or why it is trickling out from that seam, but now that I know what this thing looks like on the backside, I have a fighting chance of taking it out without breaking anything.

Thanks again ibidu.