Emergency brake - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Notices
GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Emergency brake

Old 02-07-19, 02:37 PM
topnycdog
Driver School Candidate

Default Emergency brake

Hello when I am park on a slight incline. I put my car in neutral, with parking brake on. The car would start moving. The parking brake do not hold at all. I never had this problem on any other vehicle. What can be the problem ? 2010 GS 350
Old 02-07-19, 03:20 PM
tghw
Pole Position

Your parking brake probably needs to be adjusted. Why would you put your car in neutral when parking on an incline? That is not a smart thing to do.
The Following User Says Thank You to tghw For This Useful Post:
topnycdog (02-08-19)
Old 02-07-19, 06:21 PM
topnycdog
Driver School Candidate

Not leaving it in neutral. I put it in neutral to turn off engine, but leave car in acc mode, to continue listening to music.
Old 02-07-19, 06:30 PM
RXGS
Lexus Fanatic

You can turn the engine off in park and leave the car in acc mode.......you know that right?
The Following User Says Thank You to RXGS For This Useful Post:
topnycdog (02-08-19)
Old 02-07-19, 06:43 PM
topnycdog
Driver School Candidate

No I am not . But will test it later. I assume it turn everything off, then you need to push a 2nd time just to turn back on in acc mode, which I tried to avoid. The reason is then I must wait until bluetooth reconnect.
Old 02-08-19, 01:07 AM
RXGS
Lexus Fanatic

So you would rather risk your car rolling into something/someone/somewhere, rather than wait 5 seconds for the bluetooth to connect? I mean a reason is better than no reason
The Following User Says Thank You to RXGS For This Useful Post:
sha4000 (02-08-19)
Old 02-08-19, 01:34 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Champion

In northern snowy states the snow and salt effects the emergency brake cable and other components. Probably rusted out or stretched out the emergency cables. Try lubing and adjusting!
The Following User Says Thank You to ibidu1 For This Useful Post:
topnycdog (02-08-19)
Old 02-08-19, 08:18 AM
topnycdog
Driver School Candidate

Why are you taking things so far, A question was asked. You going with car rolling and hitting people and things. Obviously I am still seating in the driver seat, so how hard is it to put foot back on brake. My car, I can do what I want and how I want. Either Just answer the initial question, which was about the parking brake. Everything else is unnecessary .
The Following User Says Thank You to topnycdog For This Useful Post:
MX73 (02-08-19)
Old 02-08-19, 09:20 AM
mcomer
Lexus Test Driver

OK back to the accessory feature, touch the Start/Stop button While you are still in gear and then put it into Park.
You are now in Accessory Mode to listen to the tunes. Please remember to touch S/S again with your foot Off
the brake before exiting the vehicle to really shut it down.
The Following User Says Thank You to mcomer For This Useful Post:
topnycdog (02-08-19)
Old 02-08-19, 01:34 PM
vincewchan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mcomer View Post
OK back to the accessory feature, touch the Start/Stop button While you are still in gear and then put it into Park.
You are now in Accessory Mode to listen to the tunes. Please remember to touch S/S again with your foot Off
Perfect answer.

Now does anyone have a DIY or instructions on how to tighten the ebrake? Iíve done them many times on a hand brake type but never a foot brake type.

Old 02-08-19, 02:49 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by vincewchan View Post

Perfect answer.

Now does anyone have a DIY or instructions on how to tighten the ebrake? Iíve done them many times on a hand brake type but never a foot brake type.

I think there kinda hard to get to, I believe you got to remove the whole rear brakes to reach the adjuster and there usually inside the drum of the rotor.
Old 02-08-19, 03:18 PM
MX73
Lead Lap

You don't have to remove the whole rear brake. There is a rubber plug on the hat of the rotor. Take that out and adjust like a drum brake system. You will need both rear wheels off the ground, e-brake will need to be disengaged and car in neutral so you can turn the rotor to find the adjuster. Make sure you block the front wheel and place on a couple of jack stands.

FYI, I put my car in neutral, press the power button, and then shift into park if I want to listen to the radio.
Old 02-09-19, 04:50 PM
topnycdog
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mcomer View Post
This is exactly what I do.
Old 02-09-19, 04:51 PM
topnycdog
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MX73 View Post
You don't have to remove the whole rear brake. There is a rubber plug on the hat of the rotor. Take that out and adjust like a drum brake system. You will need both rear wheels off the ground, e-brake will need to be disengaged and car in neutral so you can turn the rotor to find the adjuster. Make sure you block the front wheel and place on a couple of jack stands.

FYI, I put my car in neutral, press the power button, and then shift into park if I want to listen to the radio.
Yes this is how I do it.
Old 02-10-19, 01:32 PM
potatomon
Driver

My parking brakes were completely worn down to the metal. And the inside of rotor(drum for the parking brake) was worn too. The hardware was old and rusty.

What I did was installed new parking brake pads($10) and new hardware ($5).

The key is to adjust the pads(make em spread more) until they start dragging on the drum. I guess you can make them a little too tight, then use the parking brake to stop the car a few times. In theory it will shave off excess pad material and let your pads make the most contact. Just make sure it's not dragging when you're done.

There is also an adjustment for the cable at the parking brake pedal. Feel free to tighten that too until the brakes start dragging. You should get 7-9 clicks of the pedal to hold the car. But it should be tight enough to get 10-12 clicks without feeling like you will snap the cable.

And unless you install new rotors it won't be like new, but you can make it work well enough.

Last edited by potatomon; 02-10-19 at 01:41 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: