GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
View Poll Results: Which is the most reliable?
GS300
6.67%
GS430
60.00%
GS450h
33.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

GS450h VS GS430 VS GS300

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-19, 11:20 PM
lexeu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question GS450h VS GS430 VS GS300

Hello everyone, I am new here and I am coming with a dilemma about purchasing a Lexus GS MK 3 car (before lift). After lots of time spent on reading the forums, here and my local ones, I am still not sure about a few things which are important for me and I really wish you could help me out with choosing the right model. Also, I am sorry if I chose the wrong section.

First things first, from my research, it looks like the most reliable engine in this car is the GS430 model and I could not find a thing about it having issues with the VVTI actuators/cam shafts (I mean the few seconds noise after cold engine start caused by the oil not being stored properly after the car stayed unused for some time), which is the main issue that scares me out from the other models such as the hybrid or the normal GS300. I could not find whether this issue can cause any serious damage to the engine or its parts such as timing chain, etc. or driving with it even for a long time is harmless. I only read that many people, especially on this forum, have replaced these faulty things at the dealer under warranty (which, by the way, does not cover this problem in my country - Poland, even if the warranty period wasn't over yet). Some people claim that changing the oil helped and the noise never came back, some say that even after replacement the issue came back after XX thousands miles, and some say that they drive with it because it's just a noise and will not harm the engine. Even when I called the dealer, they told me that they have customers with such issue reported, but they haven't done any replacement and nothing happened, but you know how the dealers are, so I don't trust them fully.
What I would like to know is:

1. Whether driving with this cold start noise issue is safe or if I hear such a thing when buying, I must say good bye to the seller and search for another one?
2. What are the consequences of not replacing these VVTI stuff?
3. Can this issue happen to gs430 model too or this one is really reliable and the only one without this problem at all?
4. Which one would you recommend out of these 3 models if it comes to reliability? I am pretty sure you'd say the 430, but is GS450H also worth checking out in a scenario that it has had the battery replaced or regenerated lately (otherwise I am automatically rejecting it)?
5. If I were to buy the hybrid or GS300, they both have timing chains - of course, the dealer claims that the chain shouldn't be changed. Could you tell me the interval for replacing it or maybe it really does not need to be changed?
6. If I were to buy the GS430, this one has a timing belt (which I find kind of better, because it would be cheaper to replace), what's a safe interval for changing this one?

I will be really grateful for an answer of some experts or people who own these car models and e.g. drive with the aforementioned noise for a long time. I have read a lot and could not find any detailed and specific information whether it's harmless or not and this crap is the most expensive thing if it comes to replacing something when I asked at the dealer.

Last edited by lexeu; 01-07-19 at 11:24 PM.
Old 01-08-19, 01:04 AM
Lead Lap

Received 750 Likes on 504 Posts

Gs460 is the most reliable.
Old 01-08-19, 01:19 AM
lexeu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 703
Gs460 is the most reliable.
Sadly you cannot install LPG system into the 460, thus asking for these 3 models only :/
Old 01-08-19, 04:53 AM
Lwerewolf
Instructor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by lexeu
Sadly you cannot install LPG system into the 460, thus asking for these 3 models only :/
Depending on where you are, the GS300 may or may not be direct injection. I haven't heard of a non-direct injection gs450h (2gr-fse). The gs460 is sold without DE (edit: DI) only in the middle east, to my knowledge. So, unless somebody developed an LPG system for these...

Most reliable from what I've read - gs350 with non-AVS shocks. Watch for the water pump, and that's about it, I think.

GS430, 460, 450h - drive-by-wire brakes, potential problems with the actuator, expensive (about $1500 new) to fix. Brakes must be bled with techstream too.
450h - be prepared to replace the battery, should be around $4000. If you're feeling like having a project, you can rehydrate the cells on the 3rd gen - look up rehydration threads (mostly on priuschat and greenhybrid). 3rd gen 450h has the same modules as the prius - I have cells from a 2018 salvage in mine, in my case it was way cheaper than buying new from the stealer here. At any rate, it's not a simple swap and go procedure.

Haven't read of chain-related failures just yet. Haven't heard of a failure related to the vvt-i startup noise either. From what I've read it's either oil starvation at some point, water pump failure, or "problem with the 5th cylinder" on v6's, mostly discussed in the Russian Lexus club forum. Supposedly if the intake sucks in dust from somewhere (broken airbox, bad filter, etc), the 5th cylinder gets most of it, hence gets worn down fast. Also sucking in ceramic dust from the catalytic converter if it starts disintegrating... but all those are problems with just about any engine I think.

Any reason you're looking for a pre-facelift model?

Last edited by Lwerewolf; 01-08-19 at 01:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
lexeu (01-08-19)
Old 01-08-19, 05:09 AM
lexeu
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for your information, let me refer to it.

As for LPG, I only meant to install it in case of buying GS430 due to pretty high fuel consumption, as for the rest (hybrid and gs300), I do not intend to do that because it's reasonable for me there.

GS350 - I heard it also has a GR engine which suffers from these VVTI things. Other than that, it would be a good choice if not the fact that it is really really hard to find such a version with a good maintenance history (even harder than with 430 which is the most wanted by people here, so e.g. today there is only one for sale in whole Poland). Even if there is one for sale, it's usually coming from the USA which often means it was after some accidents and even if not, it will need to go through lights replacement and gauges/navi system update, it's not a big deal, but I'd still prefer something with better history, from EU.

What do you mean by drive-by-wire brakes and brakes to be bled exactly? I heard the brakes can go fast on these cars but it's not that much of an issue if that's the case. Also, most sellers have the brakes elements replaced lately as I browse through the offers.

GS450h - I know that the battery must be replaced if it hasn't been done since the release, but I only look at models which have had such a replacement, either at the dealer or at some other service. Eg. there's one or two offers right now in Poland which have had the battery replaced and have a 2-year warranty for that (I doubt the batteries were changed to new, but still with a warranty I think it should be okay), so let's skip the battery replacement issue. Other than this, are there any hybrid-specific issues, like the CVT transmission for example? I heard it's quite good provided you regularly replace the oil in it. As for transmission oil, how often do you recommend replacing it? Is it required for other engines as well (430, 300) ?

Why pre-facelift? Money, sadly my budget only allows me to get a pre-lift model in a decent condition but it's fine for me.

Last edited by lexeu; 01-08-19 at 05:14 AM.
Old 01-08-19, 05:43 AM
Lwerewolf
Instructor

Originally Posted by lexeu
Thank you for your information, let me refer to it.

As for LPG, I only meant to install it in case of buying GS430 due to pretty high fuel consumption, as for the rest (hybrid and gs300), I do not intend to do that because it's reasonable for me there.

GS350 - I heard it also has a GR engine which suffers from these VVTI things. Other than that, it would be a good choice if not the fact that it is really really hard to find such a version with a good maintenance history (even harder than with 430 which is the most wanted by people here, so e.g. today there is only one for sale in whole Poland). Even if there is one for sale, it's usually coming from the USA which often means it was after some accidents and even if not, it will need to go through lights replacement and gauges/navi system update, it's not a big deal, but I'd still prefer something with better history, from EU.

What do you mean by drive-by-wire brakes and brakes to be bled exactly? I heard the brakes can go fast on these cars but it's not that much of an issue if that's the case. Also, most sellers have the brakes elements replaced lately as I browse through the offers.

GS450h - I know that the battery must be replaced if it hasn't been done since the release, but I only look at models which have had such a replacement, either at the dealer or at some other service. Eg. there's one or two offers right now in Poland which have had the battery replaced and have a 2-year warranty for that (I doubt the batteries were changed to new, but still with a warranty I think it should be okay), so let's skip the battery replacement issue. Other than this, are there any hybrid-specific issues, like the CVT transmission for example? I heard it's quite good provided you regularly replace the oil in it. As for transmission oil, how often do you recommend replacing it? Is it required for other engines as well (430, 300) ?

Why pre-facelift? Money, sadly my budget only allows me to get a pre-lift model in a decent condition but it's fine for me.
The 350 and 450h use just about the same engine, I think the intake cams are slightly different on the 450h (forgot where I read that, but it makes sense). And yes, 2GR-FSE, combined port and direct injection so carbon buildup ought to be fine. Quite unfortunate that the 350s are rare in Europe...

The mechanism which builds pressure for the brakes can fail over time (no it's not vacuum-based, on my 450h it works even if the car is completely off). To my knowledge, nitrogen leaks past the seals. Haven't researched the topic much.

The 450h transmission doesn't really have much in it - it's like a prius transmission with a two-speed auto at the back to make sure that the electric motors run at adequate RPMs (since they have to fit in the transmission between the front two seats, space constraints). Pretty much bulletproof. The ls600h has just about the same setup, look at the oak ridge national lab ls600h article (can't post links yet, sorry).
When you change the oil, make sure it's done by the manual instructions. When I got mine, I fried the inverter during hard acceleration one month into ownership. Inverter water pump and coolant were fine. The transmission was taking 2-3 seconds to up/downshift and my research was telling me that the transmission oil pump bearings are most likely going... replaced the inverter and decided to have a go at the bearings and guess what - they were fine. The transmission was about 2 liters low on oil though, I guess that might've caused something to overheat at some point. Previous owner did say that he had all oils changed.. I'm guessing whoever did that was not quite competent. I've done all except for the techstream bleed, and it still doesn't up/downshift as fast as it should (basically imperceptible), waiting for a VIM that can do this (VCX nano hopefully, tactrix openport if not, mongoose is last resort).
I have no clue what oil intervals are, I'm guessing 50 thousand KM or miles ought to be good enough. Lexus says lifetime, but we all know what that means
If you do fry an inverter, LHD inverters are a bit harder to come by in Europe. RHD are plentiful.

Other than that... had to look for a month here in Europe to find wheels from a gs300 for a winter set of tires, but I was picky :P (wanted OEM wheels)
Old 01-08-19, 06:52 AM
lexeu
Driver School Candidate

Yeah it's unfortunate, I also wish there were more 430's but well, considering what's available right now. It's good to know about those brake system issues, haven't read about it anywhere - any idea how to check it when inspecting a car (without techstream or any other tool) or it cannot be seen on the go?

I know that the CVT is not a typical transmission for a man who likes cars, but at least I read that it's pretty reliable like you mentioned and it gives quite a good comfort while driving (except for the noise). On the other hand, the normal transmissions in the other versions are also called reliable if I remember well - the dealer doesn't advise changing oil in any transmission, but yeah, like you said it's better to do so because everything has its lifetime. It's a pity that there aren't any safe intervals provided for these types of gear boxes. The only information I heard/read is that some changed the CVT oil after 100k KM, some after 200k KM and they never had an issue, before or after replacement. As for 430's, I heard from two men that the oil should not be replaced at any time, which I highly doubt but that's why I am looking for some advise on everything before buying.

My current search criteria and priorities are:
1. 430 with replaced timing belt, new or regenerated suspension (AVS shocks) - really hard to find especially with just one offer of this model being currently sold. In this one, I'd like to install LPG system or preferably find it with one installed already.
2. 450h with replaced battery, timing chain and vvti actuators + suspension if lucky, however, finding this car with replaced timing chain is already that hard that I have never even seen anyone selling such a car (even for much more than my budget, cause I checked it out of curiosity), so that's why I am trying so hard to find out whether these problems can be harmless to the engine or timing chain, but if you claim that it will be okay then maybe I will not be looking at that this much ? :/
3. The least wanted by me is the GS300 model, mostly due to the performance which is much better in the above models. However, if I get an opportunity with the things from point 2 replaced, I would surely go for it.

I am still looking forward to some other experts sharing their opinion about their lexuses or their knowledge, maybe someone who worked at a dealer too. I'll really appreciate every piece of information because I don't want to drown in a deep water when buying this car, I really fell in love with it when I drove it (gs430) for the first time, but I know I cannot buy by heart because that would end in getting a car and spending the same value for repairs 450h with replaced battery seems a considerable and reliable choice, but for sure I'd prefer the 430 due to V8 and most likely lack of vvti problems with that cold start noise (I really could not find any post relating to that issue with this car model, all the posts were either gs300/350 or hybrid). I also wonder if it's important to buy a car with replaced timing chain or not, because maybe they are in a good condition and don't need a replacement if driven well?
Old 01-08-19, 07:24 AM
Lwerewolf
Instructor

Meh, the CVT has one issue - there's no "keep revs at maximum" mode. The closest you can get is to put it in "sports mode" at a low simulated gear - it will reach top speed in first gear, don't worry about it. Throttle response becomes electric :P

I don't think you'll find many advertised as having the timing chain done. Belts are another story. Not claiming anything about the chain, I just haven't read about any issues with it... seems like unless you're getting timing-related DTCs or chain-related noises, you shouldn't worry. Again, your mileage may vary, it's just what I've read.
GS300 - beware of carbon buildup

AVS suspension - I'd go aftermarket if I had to replace them again... non-rebuildable gas-charged monotube shocks yuck (people have made them rebuildable, but I have no more info beyond that). Getting a Tein EDFC setup won't cost much more than what a full OEM replacement will. Only reason I haven't done that is that here (Bulgaria) the roads tend to be worse than a rally course... I really want to avoid any ride height drops. If you want cheap, simply substitute for aftermarket KYB struts for the model.

Inspecting the accumulator - no clue.

Last edited by Lwerewolf; 01-08-19 at 07:27 AM.
Old 01-08-19, 09:20 AM
lexeu
Driver School Candidate

Yeah I can imagine it can be awkward at first to drive a car with CVT, especially a 300+ HP car, but I will have to find it out myself. Maybe I'll dislike it, maybe I'll enjoy it more, who knows.
Exactly like you say, I also doubt I'll quickly find an offer with timing chain replaced mentioned, but two 430's I saw last month had belt replacement mentioned so it might be easier here which can be another advantage for gs430. Anyway, it's good to hear (at least from you, wondering what others think too) that there aren't any serious issues with the chains, however, I recall some people saying they tend to stretch out or something like this, not sure though.

I can say the same thing about our polish roads, they are just a disaster in some places, I know from people at polish forums that the AVS in these cars can reach up to 150k KM max - for me it's still a good result, even if I had to replace them to OEM's, but you know, it's better to get a car which already had that replaced or at least refurbished so that I could be calm for another XX thousands kilometers.
Thank you for your helpful information and hope to hear from you and others soon!
Old 01-08-19, 09:20 AM
MX73
Racer

Received 288 Likes on 223 Posts

Depends on where you are at. The GS300 can be reliable if it does not have the DI system, so you're not facing the carbon buildup issue. Without knowing, the GS430 would the most reliable off the list.
lexeu (01-08-19)
Old 01-08-19, 01:26 PM
Lwerewolf
Instructor

Oh one more thing about the 450h - if you want to ummm "have fun with it", you can disable VDIM by entering maintenance mode but the consequences are largely unexplored. The "can damage the transmission" (well, the inverter) part probably refers to the back-EMF effect which can happen when one of the electric motors changes speed very quickly (i.e. spinning out, brakes lockup, high gear burnout which the CVT will happily do). The procedure is the same for all hybrids (look it up if you want to).

I guess the LPG 430 is looking better and better
lexeu (01-08-19)
Old 01-08-19, 02:00 PM
lexeu
Driver School Candidate

I'd only like to do some quick start ups from the traffic lights and have enough power to do over taking, also having some fun by seeing other people in the rear mirrors from time to time roaming in the city, I guess I don't need any extra steps to do that with either of these two :P Here definitely the sound of V8 would make me even happier, like then when I drove it first time.

So far the 430 seems the most reasonable choice, although I am really going crazy without knowing how long it will take for a good offer to appear and it makes me even madder when I think about 2 offers I missed which had everything I wanted (everything replaced, etc.) for an affordable price and they were even close to me, one even had an LPG already installed. Sadly, I called the first guy too late, the second one - not sure if he lied or what, he was supposed to be out of town till the first days of the new year (he said that on two phone calls) and boom, car sold on the last day of December, made me really pissed. Except for these two offers, I cannot see anything for a few months, so guess I'll have to be patient and wait... I already heard two guys claiming they searched for their lexus for a half year, which isn't making me happy, especially after losing these two opportunities I mentioned, with one of them not being my fault... Just worried that even when a car appears, it will be sold that quickly again that I won't even manage to call and ask for more details or it will be far far away from me like most of the others.

Last edited by lexeu; 01-08-19 at 02:05 PM.
Old 01-08-19, 05:02 PM
Lwerewolf
Instructor

Don't jump the gun. Better wait half a year (or more) than make a purchase that you might regret for whatever reason. More time to do research. These cars can get very expensive really fast, if anything's wrong. After all, it's just a car...
lexeu (01-09-19)
Old 01-27-19, 11:51 AM
lexeu
Driver School Candidate

I am wondering if anyone at this forum has some kind of access to the Lexus/Toyota service history if provided with VIN? Does anyone know such a person who could help with getting such a service report (or at least tell me if some things were done in a car)? Not sure how it looks in your countries, but here you cannot just ask a dealer to provide you with this information unless you are at their place with the car's owner, and the problem is that the car is far away and the owner is "busy" to get such a report and email it, so I am thinking about some alternative ways to check it. It'd also be very useful in the future, so I'll be really grateful for any details.

Besides that, I've got two more questions for GS430 owners:
1. How many miles/kilometers does your suspension (shocks) last on your roads?
2. The same question about brakes.