GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Car hesitated to start after pumping gas

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-18, 05:22 PM
sprtdsgnGS
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Car hesitated to start after pumping gas

Never had this issue but today when I finished pumping gas this morning the car hesitated to start. Finally started after two tries. Has not happened again since. Anyone else experience this issue? Thanks.
Old 11-26-18, 05:37 PM
pvsmith
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Sure sounds like a battery issue to me. Do the dash lights dim when it tries to start?
Old 11-26-18, 06:15 PM
sprtdsgnGS
Driver

Hasn't happened again but I do not think that they did. I am pretty sure the battery is fairly new but I will get it tested just to make sure. I feel like it may be something else though.
I would assume I would have the same issue again when I started the car if the battery was drained.
Old 11-27-18, 03:09 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

I dont think putting the new gas into the tank would cause it to give you issues on the first start. If it were something to do with bad fuel, then that would be plausible if you drove down the road a block or two and allowed the fuel to mix and enter the injectors.

I think you may have a dirty intake, it maybe coated in carbon/grime. Try these things, if you havent already.
A. Replace air filter (oem or denso filter)
B. Clean throttle body by removing 4 10mm bolts and cleaning inside and outside with wd40
C. Do an induction cleaning with a bottle of seafoam through the intake manifold port.
D. Replace spark plugs (use oem plugs)

I think your main issue is coming from a really dirt throttle body, because when you cold start the throttle opens and closes by electrical actuators
Old 11-29-18, 03:38 AM
Drcoffee
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

How low was your tank when you filled up. I once ran out of gas while waiting for a pump to free up. You may have had air in the fuel line. Or the engine was still in choke mode when you keyed off and the engine was flooded. But if it was a one off event, I wouldnt worry about it.
Old 11-29-18, 06:12 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Drcoffee
How low was your tank when you filled up. I once ran out of gas while waiting for a pump to free up. You may have had air in the fuel line. Or the engine was still in choke mode when you keyed off and the engine was flooded. But if it was a one off event, I wouldnt worry about it.
+1

Most likely some air in the line, causing a bit of a hiccup. If you're using premium gas from a reputable station, then I'm sure you don't need it, but you might want to consider a fuel system cleaner (Redline or Techron) the tank before your next oil change. If it hasn't been an issue since, then I'm sure it's fine.
Old 11-29-18, 09:56 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,064 Likes on 1,559 Posts

Lots of guess work here, some strange.

Would first have to know how the car struggled to start. Could be fuel, air, or electrical. Describe it better.

Did it crank slow? Could be battery.

Did it crank fast (like normal), but just take more time than usual? Could be low fuel pressure, or flow. Or it could be one of the brushes on your fuel pump just happened to be in the right spot at the right time. Or could be spark (but less likely)

If your car drives fine and starts normal now, don't panic. Like said couldve just been a momentary fuel interruption. Could be a soft-failing fuel pump. Could've been a sticking fuel pump relay. Just keep an eye on it. Many things can be tested.
Old 12-02-18, 10:19 AM
sprtdsgnGS
Driver

Thanks for all the replies everyone. And yes it attempted to crank as usual, not slowly. And it was a one off event, hasn't happened since. Still will clean the throttle body when I get some time. I always put premium fuel, and the tank was fairly low but not on fumes.