GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2011 Lexus Gs350 Burning Smell

Old 06-28-18, 11:26 AM
FitDesiGuy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Lexus Gs350 Burning Smell

Hey all,

Purchased a 2011 Lexus Gs 350 and so far it's been a great car besides a few flaws. The dashboard rattle has been driving me insane but I will be shoving felt before winter so hopefully that helps, but my main concern is a burning smell coming from the front grille and billowing through the cowl vent after I drive it. I showed my mechanics thinking it was an oil leak and they cannot find any leaks whatsoever, I also check the oil level and after about 400 miles of ownership I haven't lost any oil either. I tried driving without the blower motor on as well and it still smelled. My mechanic did notice on the driver side brake rotor blue coloration but I'm not sure if that would lead to the smell in the cowl vent and front grille as well. On cold starts I'll get some white smoke but afterwards the smoke goes away when engine is at optimum driving temperature. One other thing I noticed was that in park after I rev the engine the revometer will spudder and the car will shake around 1000 rpms. I have an ES and it does not do that so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. Just trying to identify the issue without going to Lexus and paying an arm and a leg. Any input or personal experience would be appreciated.

Thank you!
Old 06-28-18, 01:05 PM
gs350fan
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by FitDesiGuy
Hey all,

Purchased a 2011 Lexus Gs 350 and so far it's been a great car besides a few flaws. The dashboard rattle has been driving me insane but I will be shoving felt before winter so hopefully that helps, but my main concern is a burning smell coming from the front grille and billowing through the cowl vent after I drive it. I showed my mechanics thinking it was an oil leak and they cannot find any leaks whatsoever, I also check the oil level and after about 400 miles of ownership I haven't lost any oil either. I tried driving without the blower motor on as well and it still smelled. My mechanic did notice on the driver side brake rotor blue coloration but I'm not sure if that would lead to the smell in the cowl vent and front grille as well. On cold starts I'll get some white smoke but afterwards the smoke goes away when engine is at optimum driving temperature. One other thing I noticed was that in park after I rev the engine the revometer will spudder and the car will shake around 1000 rpms. I have an ES and it does not do that so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. Just trying to identify the issue without going to Lexus and paying an arm and a leg. Any input or personal experience would be appreciated.

Thank you!
There are ducts that cool the front brakes, so it is possible the odor makes it to the front. The dealer put all new brakes on mine b4 I got it. They were pretty shot.

You could be due for a tuneup, I did plugs, air filer, throttle body clean and PCV on mine.