GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Tesla Style Headunit with OEM Camera

Old 01-14-19, 09:09 AM
perdo518
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone have any updates on how the experience has been with them? any issues aside from like slow start up? is it reliable?
Old 01-27-19, 09:59 PM
vbolee1
Driver School Candidate

I'm sorry, i'm probably not reading this right but i dont understand step 3 where is the reverse wire you are referring about? Thx
Old 02-01-19, 04:38 PM
grdsman
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by perdo518
I know you mentioned that you have the ML system (like yours) NAV, Backup Cam and the parking sensors ... my main concern with this install is whether or not my ML system will still work and if the parking sensors will still work. I haven't really seen anyone with a clear answer on it. I would love to get one of these screens (I have seen another brand/screen a believe an inch bigger or so) but I don't want to lose the basic functions I like with the car now. Trying to have my cake and eat it too, I know smh
The amplifier and ML speakers still work just fine. The biggest thing to remember is to set your stock stereo to volume level 30 before disconnecting it. I truly don't understand the reason why, but it directly affects the quality of the sound after installing the new unit. You should not lose functionality of anything. My backup sensors still work.
Old 02-01-19, 04:41 PM
grdsman
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vbolee1
I'm sorry, i'm probably not reading this right but i dont understand step 3 where is the reverse wire you are referring about? Thx
There is a reverse wire coming off of the new head unit and there is a reverse wire built into the stock connector. You just have to put those two together.
Old 02-01-19, 04:56 PM
MX73
Racer

Received 288 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by grdsman
The amplifier and ML speakers still work just fine. The biggest thing to remember is to set your stock stereo to volume level 30 before disconnecting it. I truly don't understand the reason why, but it directly affects the quality of the sound after installing the new unit. You should not lose functionality of anything. My backup sensors still work.
If you forget to set the stock hu volume, you can always do it from the Console - AMP screen on the new head unit itself.
Old 03-12-19, 07:02 PM
Gargoyle
Driver School Candidate

Whats up guys. I'm 2008 gs350 awd owner, and i need some help with the tesla unit. I have the Pioneer Nav + Camera system. I am trying to figure out your instructions for my 2008 GS350, but get confused as to where the 3rd wire from the transistor goes! I understand the 1st part of the rca wires (Positive = K47 plug Pin 27) an (Negative = K47 plug pin 28) and RCA plug side to New radio. Now same K47 plug pins (13 is CB+) and (14 says CGND). Transistor has 3 wires, left to right are 1(Input with fuse) 2(Ground) 3(Output). So my question is does pin 13 go to input and pin 14 to ground or output? Then where does the 3rd wire go to? And last i understand that the reverse wire from headunit taps into K46 plug pin 13! Any help is gladly appreciated as i got the new headunit and dying to install correctly. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 03-14-19, 01:56 AM
lasem99
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gargoyle
Whats up guys. I'm 2008 gs350 awd owner, and i need some help with the tesla unit. I have the Pioneer Nav + Camera system. I am trying to figure out your instructions for my 2008 GS350, but get confused as to where the 3rd wire from the transistor goes! I understand the 1st part of the rca wires (Positive = K47 plug Pin 27) an (Negative = K47 plug pin 28) and RCA plug side to New radio. Now same K47 plug pins (13 is CB+) and (14 says CGND). Transistor has 3 wires, left to right are 1(Input with fuse) 2(Ground) 3(Output). So my question is does pin 13 go to input and pin 14 to ground or output? Then where does the 3rd wire go to? And last i understand that the reverse wire from headunit taps into K46 plug pin 13! Any help is gladly appreciated as i got the new headunit and dying to install correctly. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Hi,
The transistor job is to convert 12v to 6v to power the camera.
Transistor input pin connect to 12v from ACC (Accessory power) K46 pin 2 (Gray wire). Confirm with multimeter, you should get 12v when the car is running and 0v when the car is off.

Both second pin of the transistor and K47 pin 14 you connect them to car ground(a nut or bolt on the car).

Then you should get a 6v from the transistor output, it will be the input positive power to the camera K47 pin 13 (double check the output of the transistor with multimeter before connecting).

Last edited by lasem99; 03-14-19 at 03:07 AM.
Old 03-15-19, 05:04 PM
Gargoyle
Driver School Candidate

Default Thank you

Thanks, thats what i needed to know. By the way has anyone bypassed the factory amplifier completely using this headunit with an aftermarket amp?
Old 03-27-19, 09:22 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

I am planing on getting this for my ES350 2007 model but not much info on here for peopled installing this in there ES350 so i figured i would ask questions in here
are there any options to change the readout from Celcius to Farienhieght? C to F ? that is one of the biggestg pet peeves i have when i get cars that are usualy from canada so much trouble ot change those settings lol
so wondering if this is only set up for that or will it work for F in the usa ?
Originally Posted by lasem99
I didn't understand exactly what you mean by ventilation temp. Both the outside temp and a/c temp settings for both sides are showing.
Old 03-27-19, 10:38 AM
lasem99
Driver School Candidate

Hi,
It depends on your car. If your car comes with Celsius from manufacturer then it will show the a/c temperature settings. But if your car is in Fahrenheit, it will just show HI or Low in the temperature set. The outside temperature will show in Celsius. This is as far as i know, because my car comes with Celsius and i can't test it for Fahrenheit . That is why you see the temperature in the photo. Other American cars shows Low and HI as people mentioned in the forum.
Old 03-27-19, 02:21 PM
MX73
Racer

Received 288 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by lasem99
Hi,
It depends on your car. If your car comes with Celsius from manufacturer then it will show the a/c temperature settings. But if your car is in Fahrenheit, it will just show HI or Low in the temperature set. The outside temperature will show in Celsius. This is as far as i know, because my car comes with Celsius and i can't test it for Fahrenheit . That is why you see the temperature in the photo. Other American cars shows Low and HI as people mentioned in the forum.
It depends on what unit you ordered. My unit shows the temp in either C or F. There is a setting to adjust the reading. It's in one of the other Tesla headunit threads.
Old 03-27-19, 02:32 PM
lasem99
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MX73
It depends on what unit you ordered. My unit shows the temp in either C or F. There is a setting to adjust the reading. It's in one of the other Tesla headunit threads.
I believe you are talking about the unit without the *****.
The one I have is T3 model. PX3 model has that option as you mentioned. I don't know if it is available for ES model anyway.
Old 04-23-19, 08:39 AM
Gargoyle
Driver School Candidate

Sorry lasem, but i tried the steps exactly how you wrote and my camera don't show but the car recognizes when in reverse. Says no input on screen. If you can help me. I'm not great with wiring unless i'm familiar with the work. By the way, did anybody get static noise thru their speakers when headunit is on? The noise goes away when i select radio or bluetooth music though!!! Very weird. Any knowledge is helpful. Although I have a theory that its a result of my RCA cables running along the same side as my amp wires. JUST FYI I BYPASSED THE FACTORY AMP USING THE RCA OUTPUT DIRECTLY TO MY AFTERMARKET AMPS!!! Thank you
Old 04-23-19, 09:03 AM
lasem99
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gargoyle
Sorry lasem, but i tried the steps exactly how you wrote and my camera don't show but the car recognizes when in reverse. Says no input on screen. If you can help me. I'm not great with wiring unless i'm familiar with the work. By the way, did anybody get static noise thru their speakers when headunit is on? The noise goes away when i select radio or bluetooth music though!!! Very weird. Any knowledge is helpful. Although I have a theory that its a result of my RCA cables running along the same side as my amp wires. JUST FYI I BYPASSED THE FACTORY AMP USING THE RCA OUTPUT DIRECTLY TO MY AFTERMARKET AMPS!!! Thank you
Did you double check the output of the transistor is 6v with multimeter?
Make sure your RCA cable is connected properly to the camera output pins (I recommend you solder them).
Old 04-23-19, 11:52 AM
Gargoyle
Driver School Candidate

When I setup the transistor I followed the directions and did soldered the connections. I did test it and got 5.9 volts. I think my error might be when I installed the transistor in the car behind the unit. I still don't know if the radio has an on/off switch in the advanced menu for the back camera. I did see toggle switches in the advanced menu for the front and side cameras. Or like I mentioned, I missed a certain connection or wired something wrong! I put the cut rca wire side to k47 plug pins (27=Positive) and (28=Negative), then transistor fuse wire to k47 plug pins (13=Positive) and (14=Negative which is grounded together with middle ground wire from transistor). I then did k46 plug pin 13 to brown reverse wire from headunit. I think my mess up is with transistor fuse wire not going to K46 plug grey wire pin 2!!!! When you put original brackets on radio, did all 4 bolts line up or just the 2 bottom ones? I only got the 2 bottom ones to line up!

Last edited by Gargoyle; 04-23-19 at 11:56 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tesla Style Headunit with OEM Camera