GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Transmission hard downshift from 2nd to 1st gear feels like getting rear ended

Old 01-06-18, 11:55 PM
ToneTham
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission hard downshift from 2nd to 1st gear feels like getting rear ended

Hello all, a quick background about my vehicle, 2006 Lexus gs300 with 208,000 miles and transmission rebuilt at 170,000 due to being stuck in 3rd gear. Well all is well until recently my vehicle all of a sudden starts to have this hard / harsh downshift. This does not happen right before i put it into neutral before 20 mph coming to a stop. I have done searching and some member on ClubLexus have replaced their ecu through the dealer with success however, money is tight for me as of now. I have also heard of individuals replacing their selenoid/fluid with success. I am contemplating on sending my ecu in for rebuild by a company on ebay that repairs and ships back the repaired ecu/ecm. Any comments or opinions on your guy's experience in regards to this issue is greatly appreciated.

How did everyone whom experienced this issue resolved it and what was the cost ? Thanks in advance

Also i would like to remove the ecu/ ecm, can someone let me know where it is located? behind glovebox from what i understand, would i have to remove that as well to get to it.

Last edited by ToneTham; 01-07-18 at 12:13 AM. Reason: more specific
Old 01-07-18, 09:26 AM
bsmith203
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need a new Ecu unfortunately. Just save your money and have a certified Lexus shop in your area perform the work. It has to be programmed to your car so unless you have Lexus software access leave it to the professionals. My wife' car was doing the same , and with the new ecu drives fine again
Old 01-07-18, 09:37 AM
Carheart
Driver School Candidate

I had the exact same issue on my 01' 430. See this thread_( https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...g-to-stop.html )
My tranny fluid was dark and beginning to smell burnt. I checked the fluid and it was pretty low so I added about 1/3 qt and MY problem went away. But there are still problems in my tranny I believe
Old 01-07-18, 01:58 PM
ToneTham
Rookie

Hello guys. So I have already started pulling out the ecu. I’m not too sure if it’s the ecm locates in the engine bay or not. What controls the transmission? Ecu? Located at the passenger side under glove box?
Old 01-07-18, 04:23 PM
ToneTham
Rookie

So after some more research, i have concluded that the ECM (located under the hood) is the one that will have to be sent in for repair not the ECU (located at passenger side). I will update everyone on the end result for the members and others if they happen to come across this problem. I will overnight the ECM for repair tomorrow on monday and notify my results. The ECM will not need to be reprogrammed its PNP. The repair will consist of fixing bad capacitors and what not. I am almost certain that this is the issue, after countless research therefore, i will be going with this route. WISH ME LUCK EVERYONE! Here are some links that i found was helpful. A member, GEEYES300, had the same issue and he had sent his ECM in for repair with success.

HOW TO REMOVE ECM
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...moval-diy.html

HELPFUL LINKS
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discus...16018_ds771423

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...61736-2273.pdf

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...0756-code.html

LINK FOR REPAIR

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexus-GS300...9ZJFbe&vxp=mtr
Old 01-08-18, 05:22 PM
kcgill
Driver School Candidate

I just had ecu fixed for $180..... SIA electronics. Don't go anywhere else. Save your money they're out of Illinois. It took about eight days of Having no car, but I only spent $180. Had it done last month.
Old 01-08-18, 06:11 PM
ToneTham
Rookie

Originally Posted by kcgill
I just had ecu fixed for $180..... SIA electronics. Don't go anywhere else. Save your money they're out of Illinois. It took about eight days of Having no car, but I only spent $180. Had it done last month.
thanks for the reply, may i ask why it cost 180? i saw an ad for 135. I used the same exact ebay link provide shown in the above post.
Old 01-22-18, 06:11 PM
rxmpvibes
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ToneTham
thanks for the reply, may i ask why it cost 180? i saw an ad for 135. I used the same exact ebay link provide shown in the above post.
Did you get your ECM back yet from SIA Electronics? Any updates?
Old 01-22-18, 08:47 PM
ToneTham
Rookie

Default ECM repair successful!

Hello all, just would like to update CL. My car is fixed! sent my ecm in to get repaired, and wow it is alot better than i had thought! I noticed my car drove smoother than before. There is no harsh downshift and my up shifts going from 3rd to 4th is a lot smoother compared to before. I do not know if there is a correlation due to the fix, however, i do notice a difference in performance. SIA have saved me thousands of dollars. I hope this post will help others if they happen to come across this issue.
The following users liked this post:
JetCat (04-07-18)
Old 01-22-18, 09:21 PM
rxmpvibes
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ToneTham
Hello all, just would like to update CL. My car is fixed! sent my ecm in to get repaired, and wow it is alot better than i had thought! I noticed my car drove smoother than before. There is no harsh downshift and my up shifts going from 3rd to 4th is a lot smoother compared to before. I do not know if there is a correlation due to the fix, however, i do notice a difference in performance. SIA have saved me thousands of dollars. I hope this post will help others if they happen to come across this issue.
That is great news!!! I'm glad that they fixed it and your car is driving like new again!!! I sent mine on Sat. and I believe they will get it by tomorrow. How long did it take them to fix it and get it back to you? Thanks for the update!
Old 01-26-18, 01:07 AM
majed1
Driver School Candidate

Thanks a lot ToneTham!
I followed your advice.
SIA got my box on Wednesday and Shipped it back to me the next day on Thursday.
UPS says I will get it Wednesday January 31.
What a sweet solution.
Hopefully thats all.
Thanks again ToneTham!
Old 01-30-18, 07:20 AM
Haitham
Driver School Candidate

I am having the same issue with my 07 GS350 (136k miles), but haven't check that yet with the dealer or any mechanics.

Should I check it first before I send to SIA ? Any recommendations?
Old 01-31-18, 12:18 AM
ToneTham
Rookie

Originally Posted by Haitham
I am having the same issue with my 07 GS350 (136k miles), but haven't check that yet with the dealer or any mechanics.

Should I check it first before I send to SIA ? Any recommendations?
hello, I’m not too sure, in my case I did my own research and sent my ecm in for repair. Money was short so I did not have any mech or dealership take a look. I know its not much help but I can tell you that my ecm was repaired and vehicle no longer has the issue. I would try not to drive the vehicle in case further damages may occur. Sia did tell me that this was a very common problem and they get a lot of these ecm repaired so if you have the money try that first. If you really have money take it in to get an opinion however in my case, I did not because I’m short on cash.
Old 01-31-18, 12:19 AM
ToneTham
Rookie

Originally Posted by majed1
Thanks a lot ToneTham!
I followed your advice.
SIA got my box on Wednesday and Shipped it back to me the next day on Thursday.
UPS says I will get it Wednesday January 31.
What a sweet solution.
Hopefully thats all.
Thanks again ToneTham!
hey, glad ya did. I hope it will work out for you. Please update us on how the results.
Old 01-31-18, 12:24 AM
ToneTham
Rookie

Originally Posted by rxmpvibes
That is great news!!! I'm glad that they fixed it and your car is driving like new again!!! I sent mine on Sat. and I believe they will get it by tomorrow. How long did it take them to fix it and get it back to you? Thanks for the update!
sorry I have been really busy with school. I shipped on Monday, got there Friday, sat and Sunday was closed. They worked on it on Monday and shipped on Tuesday. Got the part back on Monday I believe so almost two weeks roughly. Please update us on your results.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission hard downshift from 2nd to 1st gear feels like getting rear ended