GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Look what just came home. My new modern navigation screen.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-18, 10:24 AM
ez12a
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by aristo1987
Lmao...some of you guys are so inpatient. The boot time isn't that lone. I say for the 3rd gen gs the boot time 25-30.

​​​​
Factory Lexus system boots in 7 or less for the maps. Even less for audio.
Old 01-20-18, 11:34 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Finally heard back from seller, he said they are considering cancelling the unit due to (1) not showing the a/c temperature, (2) not showing the gas consumption and (3) lack of compatibility with factory rearview camera BUT despite this I proceeded to order the unit as my car has no factory rearview camera, the gas mileage can still be displayed in the speedometer information screen, and I guess I'll just have to tolerate the lack of AC display. The plus is I was able to get a significant discount on the unit due to proceeding with the order.

If you are willing to live with these quirks, then the unit may be for you. It was the case for me due to a lack of a factory nav and backup camera, BUT if you have factory nav and backup camera, and you are simply doing it for the iphone mirroring or something of the like, a Nav-TV unit or Grom V-Line may be better suited for your needs and a few hundred dollars cheaper.

As with anything aftermarket, there are bound to be a few quirks, but I guess for me it was weighing the cons and plusses. Maybe the seller made the cons seem worse than they were as OP seems to really like his, so hopefully my experience is the same
Old 01-20-18, 12:20 PM
MX73
Racer

Received 288 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by 02SDGS
Finally heard back from seller, he said they are considering cancelling the unit due to (1) not showing the a/c temperature, (2) not showing the gas consumption and (3) lack of compatibility with factory rearview camera BUT despite this I proceeded to order the unit as my car has no factory rearview camera, the gas mileage can still be displayed in the speedometer information screen, and I guess I'll just have to tolerate the lack of AC display. The plus is I was able to get a significant discount on the unit due to proceeding with the order.

If you are willing to live with these quirks, then the unit may be for you. It was the case for me due to a lack of a factory nav and backup camera, BUT if you have factory nav and backup camera, and you are simply doing it for the iphone mirroring or something of the like, a Nav-TV unit or Grom V-Line may be better suited for your needs and a few hundred dollars cheaper.

As with anything aftermarket, there are bound to be a few quirks, but I guess for me it was weighing the cons and plusses. Maybe the seller made the cons seem worse than they were as OP seems to really like his, so hopefully my experience is the same

Shoot. I may have to jump on this before they discontinue the unit. How much discount did they give you?
Old 01-20-18, 12:27 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

^My answer is message the seller and ask for one and see what they say. The unit will still be pricey, but its notable
Old 01-20-18, 01:16 PM
aristo1987
Pole Position

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

Trust me it's not as bad as it sounds. I love this unit. You guys better jump on this before its gone. Grom audio doesn't even come close to this bad boy.

let me clear somethings up.

1- the ac functionality works totally fine. Nothing wrong with it. It doesn't show the temp besides lo and hi. Other than that the ac, heather, seats, defroster etc works fine. Even the fan speed is fine.

2- the gas trip information is not a big deal we have that on our dash.

3- backup camera works fine. Just buy an aftermarket one like i did.

4- this is not factory unit so dont expect it To load up within 7 sec LMAO..... IF YOU CANT WAIT 20+ SEC YOU MIGHT AS WELL JUST COMPLAIN ABOUT EVERYTHING IN LIFE. LOL.

anyways if u guys have anymore questions or concerns lmk...i might not respond right away due to family and work.​​

Last edited by aristo1987; 01-20-18 at 07:45 PM.
Old 01-20-18, 01:21 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for posting OP, I was just going by what the seller told me, but I have no direct experience with the unit. Is it possible that I am getting a unit different than you? I doubt it, but you never know.

For the rearview camera, did you have to connect it to a reverse light to trigger it to turn on, or just the inputs to the unit? Also, which camera did you end up getting?

Also, does this come with an OBDII plug? which i assume is how the car registers something like when the car is in reverse.

Also, for those in the extreme cold, I read on the GX forum that that unit is not a fan of the extreme cold (-10 to -20) as the screen was semi responsive, but after a bit the screen is fine. Can't say for sure its the same for this, but I'd have to assume this may be semi-true for this one as well.
Old 01-20-18, 01:50 PM
aristo1987
Pole Position

Yes, i connected the wire to the reverse trigger behind the unit. The obd2 is Bluetooth. You will just buy a Bluetooth obd2.

so far no problem with the ui. Its fast and smooth unlike grom audio laggy *** **** lol. Also grom audio doesn't have a vline for 2006 gs300

Thanks for posting OP, I was just going by what the seller told me, but I have no direct experience with the unit. Is it possible that I am getting a unit different than you? I doubt it, but you never know.

For the rearview camera, did you have to connect it to a reverse light to trigger it to turn on, or just the inputs to the unit? Also, which camera did you end up getting?

Also, does this come with an OBDII plug? which i assume is how the car registers something like when the car is in reverse.

Also, for those in the extreme cold, I read on the GX forum that that unit is not a fan of the extreme cold (-10 to -20) as the screen was semi responsive, but after a bit the screen is fine. Can't say for sure its the same for this, but I'd have to assume this may be semi-true for this one as well.

Last edited by aristo1987; 01-20-18 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-20-18, 07:30 PM
tghw
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts
Thumbs up

When you have the time, could you please provide more details regarding the HD/IR camera that you purchased i.e.; brand/model/specs. and what else was involved with the install? Did you have to route wiring from trunk to dash etc.

Thanks for providing the details of this unit for the rest of us.
Old 01-21-18, 02:43 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

OP, ones last question. In regards to the TPMS computer, did you just remove the original and attach it to his new unit, or does this new one include one? I’m just not looking to have to repay to reprogram my sensors again. Thanks in advance
Old 01-22-18, 04:39 AM
aristo1987
Pole Position

The tpms computer module i removed it from the unit and transferred it over to the new one.

OP, ones last question. In regards to the TPMS computer, did you just remove the original and attach it to his new unit, or does this new one include one? I’m just not looking to have to repay to reprogram my sensors again. Thanks in advance

Last edited by aristo1987; 01-22-18 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-22-18, 12:16 PM
scrmnws6
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by aristo1987
Lmao...some of you guys are so inpatient. The boot time isn't that lone. I say for the 3rd gen gs the boot time 25-30.

​​​​
I live in Dallas, TX and the last thing I want to do is wait 30 seconds before I can change the AC setting. One work around this is to change it prior to turning off the vehicle, but since we're all creatures of habit and comfort, nah.
Old 01-23-18, 12:28 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Finally got a tracking number, so we'll see how long it takes to get here.
Old 01-23-18, 04:30 PM
aristo1987
Pole Position

Took it this morning.
The following users liked this post:
YorkField (01-25-18)
Old 01-25-18, 08:13 PM
YorkField
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Apparently there are 1gb and 2gb units. I'm keen on getting one installed but not sure if it supports factory park assist and factory reverse camera. Could anyone who got these units check and see how they go with that? Would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 01-25-18, 08:45 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

I know for a fact it doesn’t support factory backup camera
The following users liked this post:
YorkField (01-26-18)

Quick Reply: Look what just came home. My new modern navigation screen.