GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Want to upgrade HIDs and DRLs

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-17, 12:27 PM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I read that some LED DRL/high beam bulbs work for DRL but when you go to the high beam they will not light up. What causes this and how do you know which ones will function as driving lights and for high beams? Currently I have LED’s in all of my 06 GS 430 front light locations except the DRL/HB’s Which are SYLVANIA zXe 9005’s... Very bright bulbs but are yellow when used as DRL’s. Any affordable suggestions? Thanks guys.
Old 10-12-17, 12:32 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

The bulbs appear to be dimmer in DRL mode because they are just flickering extremely fast (milliseconds)l; they are not actually operating at two levels of intensity.

Steve
Old 10-12-17, 03:27 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

So XenonDepot verified with me that the DRLs can work with a CANbus, but it will act like the lights are fully powered rather than half power.

That is an option, if anyone is interested.

I used that same option, combined with a relay kit to keep my HIDs on for the highbeams/DRLs.
The following users liked this post:
XenonDepot (10-13-17)
Old 10-13-17, 07:01 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Correct - With our optional DRL module the 9005 Xtreme LED bulbs will operate with no flickering in DRL mode. Here is a picture of them installed:

Steve
Old 10-13-17, 07:30 AM
LOLjasonW
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by XenonDepot
Correct - With our optional DRL module the 9005 Xtreme LED bulbs will operate with no flickering in DRL mode. Here is a picture of them installed: Steve
now that's something i'm considering
Old 10-13-17, 07:43 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Xtreme 9005 LED bulbs in action (HID in the lows):

Old 10-13-17, 12:31 PM
LOLjasonW
Driver

you can immediately see the difference (i know its obvious) but as compared to my current lights, that is a hell of a difference
Old 10-13-17, 01:06 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by LOLjasonW
you can immediately see the difference (i know its obvious) but as compared to my current lights, that is a hell of a difference
Thanks

Remember... You're seeing a difference when the low beams are HID. There would be more of a noticeable difference if the low beams were halogen

Steve
Old 10-13-17, 01:09 PM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Hi Steve-Which DRL module and 9005 lights from your company would you recommend for my 2006 GS430? I just hate the yellow DRL lights and would love to have a pure white DRL while driving and really bright high beams at night. I just want to make sure I order the correct lights from Xenon depot. Thanks for your help.
Old 10-14-17, 08:02 AM
LOLjasonW
Driver

Originally Posted by XJSFan
Hi Steve-Which DRL module and 9005 lights from your company would you recommend for my 2006 GS430? I just hate the yellow DRL lights and would love to have a pure white DRL while driving and really bright high beams at night. I just want to make sure I order the correct lights from Xenon depot. Thanks for your help.
Also wondering what would be recommended for my 06 GS300
Old 10-14-17, 09:45 AM
Propulsion
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
Unfortunately these bulbs are not carried by XenonDepot. They're a whole different company.

This bulb worked on my cousin's 2017 Accord's DRL/high beam setup, it SHOULD work on yours.

My car's DRLs have been disabled from the dealer because I don't like lights on during the day (that's just me). However, with high beam mode on I literally light up a whole neighborhood. (I wish I could capture the photo of the difference but pictures don't do anything justice, especially when you have an auto-dimming camera like the newer samsung galaxy series phones).

EDIT: I'd like to reiterate my post, as these bulbs MIGHT NOT work on our GS. I've done some deep reading in the customer reviews and it seems that ALL toyotas (ranging from the avalon to the sienna to the tacoma) have had flickering problems. One of them said to use a CANBUS adapter to the bulbs. Here is the post below:

If this is the case, and it may work, I've PMed XenonDepot, hopefully they can chime in with a resolution to the problem.
Glad I read this before hitting the order now button on Amazon. I’m not very enthusiastic about having the sounds of a bumble bee under my hood, nor am I’m looking forward to flickering in DRL mode. I wanted a “plug and play” option but it appears it would come with some trade offs I’m not prepared to sign off on.

Are the LED kits from XenonDepot easy to install? They may be the option I can live with if it means functionality without the trade offs of flickering and loud fan noises.
Old 10-14-17, 09:50 AM
Propulsion
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
So XenonDepot verified with me that the DRLs can work with a CANbus, but it will act like the lights are fully powered rather than half power.

That is an option, if anyone is interested.

I used that same option, combined with a relay kit to keep my HIDs on for the highbeams/DRLs.
Can you tell me more about this? As you know, I wanted plug n play but XenonDepot didn’t offer those. They only offered kits. The LEDs you recommended on Amazon are indeed plug n play but the reviews suggests fan noises and flickering in DRL mode. Are the kits DIY from XenonDepot? I want minimum worry about these DRLs after the install. Give me your honest opinion.
Old 10-15-17, 07:37 PM
Jdub82
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

hahaha your just a few steps ahead of me, I'm right there with ya tho them yellows gotta go
I got the LED 360 from xenon depot. I purchased the white and blue although ithink the blue was too blue so i put them in the mirror puddle lights and they look amazing when the door unlocks.
Old 10-16-17, 05:42 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by XJSFan
2006 GS430 - I would go with our 9005 Xtreme LED Pro Kit for the high beams and your DRL. You want to get the canbus option here, which allows the LED to work in your Daytime Running Lights without flickering but will cause the DRL to be on at full power since the LED bulbs can't dim.

Originally Posted by Propulsion
Can you tell me more about this? As you know, I wanted plug n play but XenonDepot didn’t offer those. They only offered kits. The LEDs you recommended on Amazon are indeed plug n play but the reviews suggests fan noises and flickering in DRL mode. Are the kits DIY from XenonDepot? I want minimum worry about these DRLs after the install. Give me your honest opinion.
Also wondering what would be recommended for my 06 GS300
We have two plug n play LED options for your 9005 bulbs, one is the 9005 Xtreme LED Pro Kit which will be a brighter solution for the high beams and the other option is the 9005 Xtreme LED CMB Bulbs which is a cosmetic light since they don't produce much light.'

- Danny
The following users liked this post:
XJSFan (10-16-17)
Old 10-16-17, 09:20 AM
LOLjasonW
Driver

Originally Posted by XenonDepot
We have two plug n play LED options for your 9005 bulbs, one is the 9005 Xtreme LED Pro Kit which will be a brighter solution for the high beams and the other option is the 9005 Xtreme LED CMB Bulbs which is a cosmetic light since they don't produce much light.'

- Danny
I assume the pro kit eliminates the drl? or does it allow for high and drl?

Quick Reply: Want to upgrade HIDs and DRLs