GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

What your next car would be?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-17, 10:35 PM
tayslexus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What your next car would be?

I searched but didn't find this thread for 3GS so I thought I'd start it.

I've had my car for almost a year now and still feels like I got it yesterday. I can't get enough of the car, I love it so much. Anyway, my next car I think would be a 2015 GS 350 AWD F-sport Black on Red interior that I'd buy in 2020.

How about you?
Old 06-23-17, 01:27 AM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Still debating between an LS460, ISF, or a 2013-2015 GS, the 2013 GS350s have already gotten really affordable and I love the interior and handling. The ISFs have stayed pretty expensive. My girlfriend thinks I should get the new Camry that's coming out don't think I could see myself driving something so common but the panoramic roof/360 camera/ red leather interior and quad exhaust do make it look a lot less bland, and it's as fast as a gs350 roughly.
Old 06-23-17, 09:45 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I'm probably going to get a 2016 GS350 in 2019 when I'm done with law school. Figure by then even F-Sports will be around 30k. Although I have been considering other cars such as the Gulia, the Volvo s90, and the Jaguar. I've always liked cars that were less common.
Old 06-23-17, 02:52 PM
Brabusx2
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

me too, i love driving my GS450h every day, average gas milages for the performance, super comfy, AC is a bit way too cold,

was going to get a 4th gen RX450h F sport but end up getting it for my mom,

next car might be a Tesla 3 or a 2018 LS F or base (tbh base look better than F for the upcoming LS)
Old 06-23-17, 03:12 PM
Propulsion
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

I would love to stay within the Lexus family but the newer interior designs aren't very appealing to me. Having spent time with my 06 GS300, I'm hooked on a quiet silky smooth ride with a pleasing interior. So the short answer is I have no idea what my next car will be
Old 06-23-17, 04:32 PM
Gs3500
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i find the 4th gen exterior ugly... esp the bland back. Interior is a different story.
Old 06-24-17, 11:10 AM
Sodium
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 57 Posts

Interesting question. Regarding new/newer cars, I don't really see any significant improvements over my 3GS, or cars of a similar vintage – the improvements (and i use the term loosely) that have been made since 2008 seem to mostly fall into one of three categories: marginal improvements that are nice, but not really good enough to justify the purchase of a new car (e.g. 8-, 9-, 10-speed trannies, radar cruise, pano moonroof, large nav displays); marginally annoying features (digital instrument cluster, except for the LFA-style cluster which is a legitimate improvement on analog gauges); and profoundly useless features which probably help the marketing department tremendously, but in reality just give bad drivers a false sense of security and diminish the driving experience for people who enjoy driving (e.g. Blind spot monitoring, cross-traffic alert, 360° cameras, lane keep assist, lane departure warning, self-driving features in general, social media apps on the infotainment system, connected car systems/wifi in the car, etc.).

I don't plan on getting rid of my GS, so I would get something fun like a Gran Turismo, a 2005-2013 Quattroporte (the duoselect QPs are great to drive and quite cheap), an E92 M3, a 911 of some kind, an LC500, or an LFA if things go well in the next few years
The following users liked this post:
ReLexing (08-08-17)
Old 06-25-17, 09:37 AM
achip5188
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Good question! I purchased my 09 GS350 for almost 2 years and still debating about getting rid of it or not. What makes me want to keep the 3GS is strong & fast engine, smooth tranmission & suspension, awesome Mark Levinson system and reliability. What makes me want to get rid of it is anything else. Voice recognition & Navigation on my 2009 MDX is so smart and easy to use (10/10). 3GS's voice recognition is simply a joke, navigation and other functions locked out while driving (1/10). TPMS is also useless which cant even tell psi on each tire or indicated which tire gets lower pressure. Manual mode transmission is a cool feature, but why the hell it always switches to 4th gear. Lexus Personalized Setting? Really? I have to bring my car to dealer just to set up my LOCK/UNLOCK button? Well, sure I have option to set up at home, if I purchase a $5,000 cable from TechStream.
Bottom line: 3GS is strong and fast machine but stupid daily driving. Good thing is I just purchased GROM Vline and still enjoying some of its features. But in the next 2 years I will have to say goodbye to Lexus and consider a CPO 2015-2016 535i.
Old 06-25-17, 10:00 AM
MX73
Racer

Received 288 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by achip5188
Good question! I purchased my 09 GS350 for almost 2 years and still debating about getting rid of it or not. What makes me want to keep the 3GS is strong & fast engine, smooth tranmission & suspension, awesome Mark Levinson system and reliability. What makes me want to get rid of it is anything else. Voice recognition & Navigation on my 2009 MDX is so smart and easy to use (10/10). 3GS's voice recognition is simply a joke, navigation and other functions locked out while driving (1/10). TPMS is also useless which cant even tell psi on each tire or indicated which tire gets lower pressure. Manual mode transmission is a cool feature, but why the hell it always switches to 4th gear. Lexus Personalized Setting? Really? I have to bring my car to dealer just to set up my LOCK/UNLOCK button? Well, sure I have option to set up at home, if I purchase a $5,000 cable from TechStream.
Bottom line: 3GS is strong and fast machine but stupid daily driving. Good thing is I just purchased GROM Vline and still enjoying some of its features. But in the next 2 years I will have to say goodbye to Lexus and consider a CPO 2015-2016 535i.
What are you trying to do with your lock/unlock? Most of it can be done without techstream.
The Manual mode on the 3G GS is not a true manual mode like on the 4G GS.
Old 06-25-17, 10:34 AM
achip5188
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

LOCK/UNLOCK is just an example, I personally have nothing to do with it. I was comparing 2 Japanese brand (Lexus & Acura) from same year model with approx price tag and found the user interface and personalized setting from Lexus is so unfriendly and annoying (to me). I can set up my door lock functions, head light sensibility, time to shut off headlight, etc... on my Acura which I cant do it at home for my Lexus. I have to take it to dealer and that is really annoying. Again, I am not comparing 3GS with 4GS, I am just wondering why whenever I'm on 6th gear auto and switch to manual, the car automatically downgraded it to 4th gear. Is this how a non-true manual mode car acting? If it is, then I bet my MDX has a true manual mode because it wont down shift like that.
Old 06-25-17, 02:11 PM
tayslexus
Driver

Originally Posted by Lukas99GS
Still debating between an LS460, ISF, or a 2013-2015 GS, the 2013 GS350s have already gotten really affordable and I love the interior and handling. The ISFs have stayed pretty expensive. My girlfriend thinks I should get the new Camry that's coming out don't think I could see myself driving something so common but the panoramic roof/360 camera/ red leather interior and quad exhaust do make it look a lot less bland, and it's as fast as a gs350 roughly.
Ahhh the ISF is a dream car to me, it's crazy expensive and has a true V8. I don't mind sacrificing the space but my only issue with it does not come AWD.

The new Camry is a killer, Toyota is definitely heading towards sporty rather than comfort and I believe it'a a hint of the next-generation ES that will have the same power if not more because it might replace the GS for good

Originally Posted by 02SDGS
I'm probably going to get a 2016 GS350 in 2019 when I'm done with law school. Figure by then even F-Sports will be around 30k. Although I have been considering other cars such as the Gulia, the Volvo s90, and the Jaguar. I've always liked cars that were less common.
The 16 GS is a good car but I really prefer the rear end of the 15 GS

Originally Posted by Brabusx2
me too, i love driving my GS450h every day, average gas milages for the performance, super comfy, AC is a bit way too cold,

was going to get a 4th gen RX450h F sport but end up getting it for my mom,

next car might be a Tesla 3 or a 2018 LS F or base (tbh base look better than F for the upcoming LS)
Yeah the 18 LS is definitely a perfect choice

Originally Posted by Propulsion
I would love to stay within the Lexus family but the newer interior designs aren't very appealing to me. Having spent time with my 06 GS300, I'm hooked on a quiet silky smooth ride with a pleasing interior. So the short answer is I have no idea what my next car will be
I assume you drove all the new Lexus cars. IMO the interior of all of them looks better than the old models.

Originally Posted by Sodium
Interesting question. Regarding new/newer cars, I don't really see any significant improvements over my 3GS, or cars of a similar vintage – the improvements (and i use the term loosely) that have been made since 2008 seem to mostly fall into one of three categories: marginal improvements that are nice, but not really good enough to justify the purchase of a new car (e.g. 8-, 9-, 10-speed trannies, radar cruise, pano moonroof, large nav displays); marginally annoying features (digital instrument cluster, except for the LFA-style cluster which is a legitimate improvement on analog gauges); and profoundly useless features which probably help the marketing department tremendously, but in reality just give bad drivers a false sense of security and diminish the driving experience for people who enjoy driving (e.g. Blind spot monitoring, cross-traffic alert, 360° cameras, lane keep assist, lane departure warning, self-driving features in general, social media apps on the infotainment system, connected car systems/wifi in the car, etc.).

I don't plan on getting rid of my GS, so I would get something fun like a Gran Turismo, a 2005-2013 Quattroporte (the duoselect QPs are great to drive and quite cheap), an E92 M3, a 911 of some kind, an LC500, or an LFA if things go well in the next few years
You have interesting points here and I agree with some but I care so much about the exterior than the interior that's why I'm still in love with my GS despite of the long list of the bad. And the 4GS even looks more sexier.

You got some interesting choices here
Old 06-25-17, 02:15 PM
tayslexus
Driver

I hear your points but I guess all these small things are updated with the new models. I never value a car based on the technology rather how it delivers it purpose which is driving it.
Old 06-25-17, 02:27 PM
justYnG
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i would to get into a tesla and or stay in the lexus family for sure. i would stick with the GS models or move up to the LS models. the main issue i have with newer vehicles is that it becomes more and more difficult to perform your own repairs to avoid a trip to the dealership or local mechanic. one of my older vehicles is a 1995 (the glory days!) acura integra that is turbo charged and its a breeze to work on. everything is easy to get to with plenty of room in the engine bay. my is300, is somewhat easy to work on BUT my GS430...forget!
Old 06-25-17, 03:02 PM
Sodium
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 57 Posts

Well, sure I have option to set up at home, if I purchase a $5,000 cable from TechStream.
Well think about it this way: buying techstream will save you money after it allows you to not go to the dealership to change your settings only 20-30 times!

Haha for real though, you can buy a fully functional techstream cable with the software for $20 on eBay or amazon
Old 06-26-17, 09:11 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Whenever I think of purchasing another car, I always stop myself and ask why. For a daily, I'll keep my GS460 for the next 8-10 years, easily; however, I've always had my heart set on a 911, specifically the 991 body. The only thing that's truly holding me back from getting something like a 2012 911 4S now, is the fact that my fiancee has a 2014 Cayenne S, and my god... That thing is a disaster. Burns a quart of oil every 4,000 miles (which is supposedly "normal"), tire pressure sensors are going haywire, even after being replaced, transfer case went out at 30k, now the second is on its way out at 45k. I know Porsche makes a great car, and the 911 is a totally different beast from the Cayenne, but when comparing them to my GS.... Man... I dunno if I can leave my safe zone, haha. With that all said, I'm still going to say a 991 911 4S.... Maybe a GS-F....

Quick Reply: What your next car would be?