GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Someone swiped my car from the side and damaged rear wheel, and insurance claim...

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-17, 06:15 PM
masboy
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Someone swiped my car from the side and damaged rear wheel, and insurance claim...

So i parked my car and while I was sitting inside the car, this lady try to drove off from behind me and got too close with my car where she ended up damaged my Nissan GTR copper wheels. We exchanged information ... long story short, I got an estimate from this reputable wheel shop nearby, they told me it's too risky to fix it so they gave an estimate to replace that 1 wheel, and powder coat all wheels so it will have the same color. total would be around $2900.

BUT THEN, the lady insurance company (progressive) keep insisting that they know a body shop that can just FIX the bent *without replacing the wheel* & powder coat that ONE wheel only in different state where it will take up to 4 weeks to get it done. They said they will try to match the color with the rest of the wheels and will keep trying it until it match the color.

My question to you guys, whats my option here ? I don't want them to just fix the bent, I want this to be replaced for a safety reason. What can I do to get that insurance company to pay this fix from that reputable body shop ?
Old 05-19-17, 09:38 PM
LoveThatV8
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That will not be an option for me especially on a bent/cracked/scratched wheel, that would be jeopardizing safety. It is unlike a body panel where it can be aesthetically fixed. I would continue to bicker and make it clear to them that you refuse to get the wheel refurbished, I would rather replace the wheel entirely with proof of receipt (I have proof of receipt of everything). When my G35 got totaled, I demanded to get compensated for the parts I've spent on that car and was granted maybe like two-thirds of it. I am currently with AAA so I don't know if that factors in being that you are with progressive. If this doesn't go your way, I suggest you get an attorney b/c your car insurance should not limit you with that one option. Good luck to you.
Old 05-20-17, 01:29 AM
Sodium
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 57 Posts

Isn't your insurance company supposed to deal with the other party's insurance company? Before you spend any time dealing with this yourself, call your insurance agent and tell him that you're not going to accept anything except what your wheel shop recommends, then let him work it out with the woman's insurance company.

Now if that doesn't work for whatever reason, ask your wheel shop to give you a written statement saying that the wheel cannot be safely repaired, then talk to an attorney and find out what your rights are in this situation in your state, then move forward based on the attorney's recommendation.

As a last resort, you could also just pay your shop for the work out of pocket and then take her to small claims court to recover the cost, as well as any other costs incurred from the accident (rental car, loss of wages if you missed work, any other damages you can prove). Of course, talk to an attorney before going this route!
Old 05-20-17, 02:57 PM
masboy
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah im just too naive, thinking the other party insurance will listen to body shop that i found. Im gonna let my insurance agent handle this, i didn't know that my insurance agent should deal with this instead of me. SMH!! Thanks all..

I'm located in Columbus. Ohio.
Old 05-20-17, 11:43 PM
Vooduguru
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think there are some universal nationwide rules when it comes to repairs, regardless of fault. An insurance company is not allowed to "force" you to use their resources to make a (****ty) repair. YOU have the right to choose where the repair is made. One thing to verify, is call you insurance company from a friends phone and speak with an agent regarding a new policy. Ask "Do I get to choose who makes a repair in the event of a claim?" If the agent indicates yes, then say thank you, and call you own agent and demand that YOU choose where the repair will be made and remind them that it was NOT your fault. Hope this helps.