GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

lost power steering and electronics while driving.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-17, 04:54 AM
OptimusSam
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default lost power steering and electronics while driving.

Hi, i bought a GS 350 AWD 2008 used last year, no problem since, but this week i got a major problem. I got stuck in traffic (highway exit) in a big winter storm for about 1 hour without moving, my radio was ON, heat seat ON on max, heating on max and snow control ON and then after 1 hours (more or less) the electronics start to flicker and got a red steering wheel with an ''!'' code, battery code too, the steering was stiff, so before the car turn down, i just turn off everything, pull over and go back on the highway full speed and all code disappear and everything got instantly back to normal. I assumed that i drain to much for too long...but this morning i was driving normaly, normal speed on city road, (my seat heat was on, heat and radio), the steering wheel got hard,my AWD turn off too. i turn off everything, push the gaz to go faster and all code disappear and everything go back to normal.

Before calling a garage, i want to know what's happening?
Old 03-20-17, 05:06 AM
OptimusSam
Driver School Candidate

Is it possible that the battery can't keep its charge long enough when a lot of electronics is on? since it looks to charge well when a drive faster?
Old 03-20-17, 05:09 AM
93SCMax
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Sounds to me like your multi-belt is slipping or your alternator/alternator pulley is going bad. Check your belt condition and tension, and also check if there is "dust" on the outside of your alternator pulley.

Clearly electrical.
The following users liked this post:
OptimusSam (03-20-17)
Old 03-20-17, 05:12 AM
93SCMax
Intermediate

Originally Posted by OptimusSam
Is it possible that the battery can't keep its charge long enough when a lot of electronics is on? since it looks to charge well when a drive faster?
It's not likely the battery when you are driving since the alternator generates the electricity when your motor is running.

Of course, it never hurts to have a new or fully charged battery.
OptimusSam (03-20-17)
Old 03-20-17, 05:23 AM
L's TLS
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Same thing happened to me it was the alternator.
Old 03-20-17, 05:25 AM
OptimusSam
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the heads up, ill check it out as soon as possible! I read on an older post that it may be the lower splash guard who is maybe broken or missing (never think to check this out), ill check this out in the same time! thanks again for the info!
Old 03-20-17, 05:30 AM
OptimusSam
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by L's TLS
Same thing happened to me it was the alternator.
I hope not! but it happens only 2 times in maybe 12 days interval since a was stuck in the storm and got no problem at all starting the car or when using all electronics options. But I'll check it out too in the same time tho, just in case.
Old 03-20-17, 06:33 AM
guzzy92fs
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I give my first bet to alternator, then the belt third battery. Sometimes if water splashes to the serpentine it will slip and cause that symptom.

Anyway if it helps, had same symptoms with my RX when the alternator was about to say bye bye, the A/C was going off and power inside dimmed from time to time
OptimusSam (03-20-17)
Old 03-20-17, 06:45 AM
OptimusSam
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by guzzy92fs
I give my first bet to alternator, then the belt third battery. Sometimes if water splashes to the serpentine it will slip and cause that symptom.

Anyway if it helps, had same symptoms with my RX when the alternator was about to say bye bye, the A/C was going off and power inside dimmed from time to time
For now, the A/C works fine and nothing dim inside, i hope its not the alternator, but since i'm there, ill go give a look too. thx
Old 03-20-17, 02:12 PM
GORIFTW
Driver School Candidate

I had the same thing happen to me when I first got my car. I replaced the battery the first time and it was fine for about a week and then it happened again, ended up being the alternator. Your battery needs replacing if it drained like that.
OptimusSam (03-21-17)
Old 03-20-17, 02:40 PM
93SCMax
Intermediate

Just a hint, sometimes everyone (and the dealer) says it's the alternator. These cars use an alternator pulley that is not like the old-time, standard pulley. These pullys rotate in both directions. Sometimes the pulley goes bad and everyone replaces the whole alternator, at a much higher cost.

Double check the alternator pulley, but your original symptom sounds like a slipping multi-belt. either a worn belt or the tension is too loose.

Good luck, and report back your solution to the problem.
The following 2 users liked this post by 93SCMax:
Farqui (03-21-17), OptimusSam (03-21-17)
Old 03-21-17, 09:45 AM
OptimusSam
Driver School Candidate

this morning it get worse, each time i stop more dans 1-2 minutes, the red stering wheel code and the battery code lights on and lost my radio and screen. My car is at the garage right now, im waiting for the final diagnostic, after all im still on warranty , they will do a full scan and look for alternator, the multi-belt and battery. I'll keep you inform as soon as i am, thx for all the help.
Old 03-21-17, 11:26 AM
L's TLS
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Good luck! And let us know the prognosis. Hopefully just the belt. I got a used alternator with 60K on it from the junk yard for $100 since a new one was too expensive at the time. But since you have a warranty, nothing wrong with a brand new alternator
OptimusSam (03-23-17)
Old 03-23-17, 09:37 AM
OptimusSam
Driver School Candidate

Well, got my car back from the garage, was the alternator and my belt (it was old but not dead, still they changed it anyways since they on it), Thankfully it was all on Warranty

They check also my battery and it was allright

Thanks all for the help, really appreciated !
L's TLS (03-24-17)
Old 03-23-17, 10:17 AM
93SCMax
Intermediate

Thanks for the update. Glad you were able to get it resolved. Even better that it was covered under warranty!

Quick Reply: lost power steering and electronics while driving.