GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Intermittent Starting Issue

Old 03-11-17, 01:11 PM
Dizzle843
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent Starting Issue

I have been having this issue for a few weeks now. It started about a month ago when I was leaving the gym and I got in my car to leave. I pressed the brake and the push start button like normal, but the car did not even attempt to crank. All of the lights on the dash board illuminate and the green light comes on the start button. It just doesn’t crank. I don’t have any warning lights or anything on my dash. It even runs the test and comes back completed as if nothing is wrong. I have already replaced the battery in the key fob and the battery in the car. I have also left the car running and removed the connections to the battery to rule out the alternator (car stayed running). I had my car sitting at a shop this week for 3 days and the mechanic said that he was unable to replicate the issue. In disbelief I went down and started the car over 50 times and it started up fine every single time. I leave the shop and later that day go to the gym and again the car doesn’t start. I am beginning to lose hope. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I will attach some videos shortly.... Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: mpeg
3546.mpeg (3.21 MB, 291 views)
File Type: mpeg
3548.mpeg (1.05 MB, 110 views)

Last edited by Dizzle843; 03-11-17 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-11-17, 03:31 PM
SILENTM
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Maybe your starter is going out
Old 03-11-17, 03:38 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Sounds just like when my starter went, unfortunately it was around $700 out the door at the dealer for a replacement with an aftermarket part
Old 03-11-17, 07:36 PM
Dizzle843
Driver School Candidate

That's what I recommended that the mechanic replace, but he said it would be a lot and he wasn't sure that would fix the issue since it started every time. I made a video and created this post to get some feedback and show the mechanic just in case.
Old 03-11-17, 11:55 PM
Robertcave
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

It may be coincidental as the car wont start at the gym, but i had a similar experience a while back i was parked on a parking lot near a new mercedes and my car would not start when i came back so i left car got my brother to come round and see if he could shed light on it we tried car and it started instantly and the merc was gone 2 weeks later i was parked near same car as its near my wifes hairdressers were i pick her up and lo and behold it would not start again but the owner came out and said she had a perimeter device fitted to her car that stops the immobilser so no one can use one of those gizmos to stop getting the code so they can steal car she left and my car then started is that weird or what
just saying you may be in same boat
Robert
Old 03-12-17, 12:33 AM
Dizzle843
Driver School Candidate

That is pretty weird, but I dont think that is the case with my vehicle because it has also not started at home, gas stations and other places as well. I guess I'll just go ahead and get the starter replaced Monday to see if that resolves the issue.
Old 03-14-17, 11:55 AM
Deves
Driver School Candidate

I'm also having the same issue with my (06 Gs430) It starts fine many times then when you least expect it .....foot on brake push button, engine turns over, lights come on dash but fails to start. Push button again and it acts like a dead battery, push button again and turns over a few times but won't start. Wait a few moments then try again and vroom it starts up. Took it to the dealer and they kept it for a couple days but could not replicate the problem. They did install a new battery though. Last Thursday night took the wife out to dinner and the car started fine when we left. Went to the store and after 20 minutes or so went to leave and s%$* it won't start again tried 7 more times then finally vroom she starts. Friday afternoon leaving work it won't start again but Friday morning started right up like it was made to. So I took it back to the dealer again and the service guy called me last nigh and says they can't replicate the problem again but they will try again today. Everytime they try it starts perfectly. ARRGGGH I know when I pick it up I'm going to have the same problem. Maybe not today Maybe not tomorrow but soon.....
Ok A couple of things ....first..I really enjoyed driving the loaner cars they gave me. last month it was a brand new RX350, then this week I have a brand new NX200T.. gotta love Lexus dealers!
Now I've been all over the internet searching for problems like mine and the only thing I can come up with is a possible ground issue? What do you think?..

Old 03-14-17, 11:57 AM
Deves
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dizzle843
That is pretty weird, but I dont think that is the case with my vehicle because it has also not started at home, gas stations and other places as well. I guess I'll just go ahead and get the starter replaced Monday to see if that resolves the issue.
Dizzle did you change the starter yet?
Old 03-14-17, 02:41 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Dealer gave me an RC350 for 3 days when they replaced mine, that alone was worth the extra $100 versus an independent
Old 03-14-17, 02:47 PM
Dizzle843
Driver School Candidate

Default Haven't changed starter yet.

Mechanic was still having issues replicating the issue. And when he did. He was unable to find the cause as to why it only doesn't start some of the time. He advised me that he doesn't think I should replace the starter because he doesn't think that is my Issue. At the same time he cannot tell me what the problem is. Closest Lexus dealership is 3 hours away. Guess I'm gonna have to deal with Toyota for now. Not sure what to do but I'm definitely gonna need a rental for the weekend. In don't wanna replace the starter if it doesn't fix the issue. Gonna go pay the $100 bucks at Toyota to see if they can locate the issue.
Old 03-19-17, 04:08 PM
Rdubz
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has there been a update on this issue? My 06 gs430 just started doing this same thing 2 days ago. It's more of the battery click, but if you hold the button down it eventually does a hard start after about 8 seconds. Just don't want to start throwing money at parts I don't need and hoping I can take care of the problem myself as my nearest lexus dealer is over 3 hrs away. Thanks
Old 03-19-17, 08:15 PM
guzzy92fs
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Car battery going out or starter going out. Try to keep pushing the button when green not simply push and leave and see what it does.
Old 03-20-17, 05:37 PM
Rdubz
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well for me it looks like it was the battery going bad. Thanks for the advice
Old 03-21-17, 09:25 AM
Dizzle843
Driver School Candidate

Took vehicle back to Toyota dealership and they were able to get it to where it wouldn't crank. They reinitializeed ecu with key and that seemed to fix my issue. I paid $105 diagnosis fee and that took care of that. Simple and not to expensive fix.
Old 08-27-17, 08:52 PM
Deves
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dizzle843
Took vehicle back to Toyota dealership and they were able to get it to where it wouldn't crank. They reinitializeed ecu with key and that seemed to fix my issue. I paid $105 diagnosis fee and that took care of that. Simple and not to expensive fix.
Dizzle, hows the car? anymore starting problems?

Mine is acting up again after a few months of no problems. Mechanic thinks it's the starter solenoid. So it's back in the shop. he's gonna run some tests and let me know tomorrow.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Intermittent Starting Issue