GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

3GS transplants

Old 12-18-16, 05:11 PM
LUX2006
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 3GS transplants

Hello all CL, just wanted to know(and sorry if I'm repeating could not find info) if anyone attempted to swap parts from a 2008 GS to 2006 GS. Like turn signal mirrors and the main gps touch screen unit? Why? Well the 2008 has a new gps interface with a 3.5 aux jack. Of course the whole center console would have to be swapped. Or if technically inclined just take apart center console and insert the inner plastic tub with aux jack. Too much trouble you ask? Otherwise is there an after market gps unit that will appear stock and work with factory interface(i.e. vehicle maintaince info). See my last personal vehicle was an 87 gm Buick Regal and those cars can swap most parts off other years as well as other g-body gm cars. Btw sorry for mentioning another non Lexus vehicle on here. lol! in addition to that can f-type brakes be installed on a 3gs? it has great stopping force however I would like some stronger factory available options. Thanks all and happy holidays.
Old 12-19-16, 05:34 PM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts

I see from your profile you have a 2006 GS300, so I would say it is not worth it. Just get out of the GS300 and get a GS350. I may be somewhat on board if you had a GS430. Way to much of a hassle and you'd spend $1000s to convert
Old 12-19-16, 06:53 PM
YxUxMADDDD
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

If you can source your parts cheap or don't mind spending the money, go for it. The forum is not like it use to be for asking these types of questions. The help isn't there. It's more criticizing and "you should sell this to get that" bs. *ahem* It's your car and your money. I'm sure once you do it, these flakes would shut their mouth and do it too AND some are just scared to ask due to the replies they'll get. They were all here asking the same questions at one point but decide to join the douchebag bandwagon. I'm all for it bro. In the end, we're all car enthusiast with different backgrounds and different taste. They're mom/dad just wasn't in their lives to teach them when they were younger. I don't mind being their dad and say, "if you have nothing nice to say or contribute positvely, then don't say anything at all." I have a 2007 gs350 and sourced a 2009 side mirror for the turn signal it comes with. Should I sell my 07 and get an 09? Or maybe for those who has an 08+ wanting the 06-07 front bumper because it has more aftermarket lip options. Should they sell their 08+and get an 06-07? Or perhaps for those that did a rearview mirror swap with the ES350. Should they have sold their GS to get an ES? Anyways, do as you please and post pics of your conversions. Happy modding. It's the "never-done-before" modding that keeps us TRUE car enthusiast and new comers intrigued and amazed!

Take a look at this thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-3rd-gen-2006-2011/814568-how-to-identify-3gs-options-with-pictures.html

It's MINOR changes for the 3GS models if you're swapping within the 3GS. The reason why I say MINOR is because it is for me. Some are not inclined to do it themselves hence why it's not minor for them. But to each their own. Hope that link helps.

Last edited by YxUxMADDDD; 12-19-16 at 07:08 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by YxUxMADDDD:
LUX2006 (12-19-16), MX73 (12-20-16)
Old 12-19-16, 07:56 PM
RayN
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can purchase an aftermarket side mirror with turn signal cover for 06 and 07 but it's larger than the OEM. I purchased the mirror cover with turn signal for 07 and end up selling it.

When I get a chance, I will add a turn signal on the existing puddle light using a relay or replace the bulb and socket with a 3-way or add LED's and current limiter on the puddle light housing.
The following users liked this post:
LUX2006 (12-19-16)
Old 12-19-16, 08:27 PM
YxUxMADDDD
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I've seen those but sourced the oem ones for a hefty $50 for the pair. I was thinking the same as it looked bigger than the oem. But hey, you tried and know. Now others will know. Thanks for sharing the info. Let us know how that turns out with pics!! If I didn't get it that cheap, I would want to wonder how you would've done it now lol
LUX2006 (12-19-16)
Old 12-19-16, 08:52 PM
LUX2006
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks a Bunch

Originally Posted by YxUxMADDDD
If you can source your parts cheap or don't mind spending the money, go for it. The forum is not like it use to be for asking these types of questions. The help isn't there. It's more criticizing and "you should sell this to get that" bs. *ahem* It's your car and your money. I'm sure once you do it, these flakes would shut their mouth and do it too AND some are just scared to ask due to the replies they'll get. They were all here asking the same questions at one point but decide to join the douchebag bandwagon. I'm all for it bro. In the end, we're all car enthusiast with different backgrounds and different taste. They're mom/dad just wasn't in their lives to teach them when they were younger. I don't mind being their dad and say, "if you have nothing nice to say or contribute positvely, then don't say anything at all." I have a 2007 gs350 and sourced a 2009 side mirror for the turn signal it comes with. Should I sell my 07 and get an 09? Or maybe for those who has an 08+ wanting the 06-07 front bumper because it has more aftermarket lip options. Should they sell their 08+and get an 06-07? Or perhaps for those that did a rearview mirror swap with the ES350. Should they have sold their GS to get an ES? Anyways, do as you please and post pics of your conversions. Happy modding. It's the "never-done-before" modding that keeps us TRUE car enthusiast and new comers intrigued and amazed!

Take a look at this thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-pictures.html

It's MINOR changes for the 3GS models if you're swapping within the 3GS. The reason why I say MINOR is because it is for me. Some are not inclined to do it themselves hence why it's not minor for them. But to each their own. Hope that link helps.
Thanks so much for the positive enthusiasm. I got your kinda support when I used to be a part of the "g-body" community. However older cars are much easier to mod. And parts are in an excessive abundance at the junk yards. For those who are will to spend there weekends as a junk yard dog. Which happened to be an old hobby of mine. I spent most of my pay check on parts I ended up selling and not using. And yes I refuse to listen to the negative ideas of hateful people. I knew what I was getting into bed with when I did days of research getting a car I was planning on holding onto until I get the means to get a Tesla. Yes my GS is my last fossil fuel vehicle and I plan to keep it. So any money I'm willing to put into it is for the long haul. I got this car practically brand spanking new. One owner always serviced at the dealer and kept it in pristine condition. Yes there were some tiny things like missing clips and of course scratches and dents, paint chips, curb rash. However for a car this old it looks new. The original one I was gonna purchase on Black Friday was an abused beater. Taking it for a test drive told me everything. Warning lights on car handled like it had hateful owners. Battery cable was repaired by some "Jose mechanic" with cheap inferior auto zone parts and Mickey Mouse work. Spare tire tools were missing and tires didn't look to properly fit the oem rims correctly. Yes I'm glad I didn't end up doing business with them. Anyway so far all I did was get all those missing clips and had a ravelco installed. Trunk struts are shot and rear view mirror is in bad shape however still functions. Oem wheels have a lot of curb rash which could be the previous owners bad parking jobs. Yeah really just wanted an easy way to get my iPhone music/podcasts through the sound system. the options available are kinda restrictive. Its not a rush my iPhone 7 speakers are so loud I can just listen to my podcasts that way. and using my old Doves cds I can just make use of the 6 disc changer. However in the future I look to some mods for the gps/sound system.
Old 12-23-16, 05:33 AM
Sodium
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by LUX2006
in addition to that can f-type brakes be installed on a 3gs? it has great stopping force however I would like some stronger factory available options. Thanks all and happy holidays.
I'm guessing by "f-type brakes" you meant F-sport brakes, not brakes from a Jaguar F-Type.

GS350 F-sport brakes should fit on the '06 300, but you may have to get bigger wheels to clear the calipers. Also, they ain't cheap – around $2800 for fronts and $2600 for rears. Much less expensive would be to swap your 2-piston front calipers with a pair of 4-pot calipers that are stock for the GS350, and you'll still get substantially better braking.

Honestly though, if you want better brakes, you should just get out of the GS300 and get into an LFA – it comes standard with superlative brakes, and buying one is less of a hassle than installing new brakes on your GS will be

Last edited by Sodium; 12-23-16 at 05:36 AM.
LUX2006 (12-23-16)
Old 12-23-16, 05:29 PM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

I think the f sport brake upgrade kit works on all 3GS, it's expensive though, myLparts.com has the full kit and if you enter in CL5 as a code you'll save an extra 10% I'd like to upgrade mine as well but it's fairly pricey
LUX2006 (12-23-16)
Old 12-23-16, 08:45 PM
LUX2006
Driver School Candidate

Default Lfa?

Originally Posted by Sodium
I'm guessing by "f-type brakes" you meant F-sport brakes, not brakes from a Jaguar F-Type.

GS350 F-sport brakes should fit on the '06 300, but you may have to get bigger wheels to clear the calipers. Also, they ain't cheap – around $2800 for fronts and $2600 for rears. Much less expensive would be to swap your 2-piston front calipers with a pair of 4-pot calipers that are stock for the GS350, and you'll still get substantially better braking.

Honestly though, if you want better brakes, you should just get out of the GS300 and get into an LFA – it comes standard with superlative brakes, and buying one is less of a hassle than installing new brakes on your GS will be
Lol! thats a really nice super car however thats more Lexus then I can Handle. However If I get a windfall Maybe after I get my fully load Tesla Model S and A model X and have the extra space maybe Ill get an LFA. Or Ill just get the newest/fastest version of the GS. Also someone somewhere on this forum mentioned swapping the mentioned brake calipers. Thanks.