GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

The unicorn that is changing the tranny fluid...

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-16, 07:41 PM
Steve2424
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The unicorn that is changing the tranny fluid...

Some sarcasm to the title, but I've asked my local Lexus dealer (Bay RIdge) if they can perform a drain & fill of my transmission fluid. My car is approaching 75,000 miles and this has never been done. The service manager basically said it "may cause more harm than good" which signals to me they do not do this often (enough) to warrant me risking taking it to them to do at all at this point. Has anyone within New York had this performed at a reliable shop or other Lexus dealer that they can recommend? It's pretty frustrating that this is like a lax ideal when I'm actually asking to have it done, and they turn down my request.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 05-25-16, 01:30 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

The few places i called, one shop that specializes in imports, and the other two shops that deal in transmissions all told me to leave the fluid be as Mercedes and BMW also have "lifetime fluids" and they rarely if ever change those. That being said, I asked the dealer, and I was quoted $350 for a flush and the Canadian spec cars have a service interval of around every 50k miles, so someone is obviously changing the fluid. There was a post in the IS forum where someone sent their fluid into blackstone with 109k on the same fluid, and the test showed that the fluid was fine as is, but I'd like to see who else has had this service done as I feel like my 300 could shift smoother with 100k on the clock
Old 05-25-16, 02:40 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

I had mine done at around 30k (just because of the age, not the mileage), and haven't had any issues. Dealer did the drain and fill for around $125, if I remember correctly. Don't notice any difference, probably because the old stuff was fine, but my OCD kicked in and I wanted the old stuff out. The flush could cause more harm than good, but a drain and fill is pretty safe to do.
Old 05-25-16, 04:36 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

So I emailed a mechanic very familiar with lexus and this is what he said. I'm getting it done Monday
Attached Thumbnails The unicorn that is changing the tranny fluid...-image.jpg  
Old 05-25-16, 05:32 PM
tcr101
Lead Lap

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I had a flush done ~120k - Night and day difference. Ive put on 10k-15k with no issues *knock on wood*. Also had a tranny flush on my 2001 ls430 with 240k (swapped the fluids at 190k) and never had any issues until it was totaled.

Is it better to flush vs drain and fill? Not sure, but most people will recommend a drain and fill compared to a flush.
Old 05-25-16, 06:43 PM
brucelee1
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

My Lexus did a flush. No issues at all.
Old 05-25-16, 07:00 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

How much did they charge you if you don't mind me asking?
Old 05-25-16, 07:31 PM
wickedtaco
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

would a drain and fill be better than a drain and flush? The Toyota dealer in P-cola is asking $230. for a drain and flush.
Old 05-25-16, 08:06 PM
Steve2424
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 02SDGS
So I emailed a mechanic very familiar with lexus and this is what he said. I'm getting it done Monday

Where is this guy? Lol

I would prefer to have a drain & fill done versus a flush as I would imagine the fluid being passed thru the unit via a flush would create sediments and metal shavings to lodge themselves in crevices/corners and become stuck, then dislodge upon the unit being used and creating issues down the road (my $.02). Plus the drain & fill only removes a portion of the fluid (about 3 quarts) so the 2 fluids mix thus eliminating a used transmission from having a too viscous fluid in it which I would imagine leads to accelerated wear on it. I'm probably being OCD about this analogy,.

A member within the 3GS community sent his transmission fluid fo testing as well and the results did show the original fluid had lost it's viscosity over time as one would expect and cause the tranny unit to work harder as it ages.

As it stands my car drives fine. Pulls strong and downshifts with no hint of aging so far.
Old 05-26-16, 05:07 AM
brucelee1
Racer

Originally Posted by 02SDGS
How much did they charge you if you don't mind me asking?
$280; $112 for fluid, the rest, labor.
Old 05-26-16, 06:00 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Steve2424
Where is this guy? Lol

I would prefer to have a drain & fill done versus a flush as I would imagine the fluid being passed thru the unit via a flush would create sediments and metal shavings to lodge themselves in crevices/corners and become stuck, then dislodge upon the unit being used and creating issues down the road (my $.02). Plus the drain & fill only removes a portion of the fluid (about 3 quarts) so the 2 fluids mix thus eliminating a used transmission from having a too viscous fluid in it which I would imagine leads to accelerated wear on it. I'm probably being OCD about this analogy,.

A member within the 3GS community sent his transmission fluid fo testing as well and the results did show the original fluid had lost it's viscosity over time as one would expect and cause the tranny unit to work harder as it ages.

As it stands my car drives fine. Pulls strong and downshifts with no hint of aging so far.
Closer to Toronto. I split my time between Buffalo and Toronto a lot, so between the experience and the exchange rate, I don't mind making a trip over.
Old 05-26-16, 03:36 PM
tcr101
Lead Lap

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve2424
Where is this guy? Lol

That's what I've read as well as heard from multiple mechanics. The only downside to a drain and fill is you should be doing it 3-4 times to have the fluid look new. I.e. drain and fill, drive X miles, drain and fill again, drive X miles, drain and fill again. I believe there is a DIY that shows how to do this, but I did not attempt the DIY due to ensuring the right temp is achieved and letting the fluid "drain out" as it was being cycled.

I think i paid 2/300 for a flush at the dealership. Some dealerships I called would not offer the flush and would only do a drain and fill.
Old 05-26-16, 04:02 PM
brucelee1
Racer

Over the years, I have done it both ways. No problems either way.
Old 05-26-16, 05:40 PM
jasonnast
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

True you don't need to change fluid on these that often.
Old 05-26-16, 06:00 PM
PoppFlyy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did mine at 70K miles, which was about 5K miles ago.
I asked for the Transmission fluid to be done, and my guy at the dealership who has earned my trust, recommended to replace the differential fluid as well.

My care ran like butter again afterwards.
Noticeable difference, though it wasn't in any way clunky before.
Just extremely smooth like new feel again.

Recommended.

Quick Reply: The unicorn that is changing the tranny fluid...