GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Rear muffler delete on 2006 GS430?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-15, 09:23 AM
KazF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Rear muffler delete on 2006 GS430?

Greetings,

As of last night I'm a proud new owner of a 2006 Lexus GS430 with only 70k miles on it!! Coming from a 1993 Lexus LS400 (this beast had 700k+ miles on it by the time the struts blew through the body panel from rust) and a little 2009 Mitsubishi eclipse GTV6

I've searched this forum but haven't gotten much info for this mod with this particular car. First off, the V8 reminds me so much of my cherished LS400. I don't know too much about this platform unfortunately so please forgive my ignorance.

But how does it affect the car if I were to attempt a rear muffler delete with standard tips (or maybe addon dual tips) ? Would it sound better or raspy? My goal is to have a better V8 "growl" as the car passes but I want to avoid cabin drone. I don't mind a louder cabin at all (I love engine sounds) but I dread the drone. So what would a wiser path be? Center resonator delete and keep the rear mufflers on ? Rear mufflers only? Or delete both the resonator and mufflers?

My goal is to preserve the stock performance and torque as much as possible and avoid the drone but have the car sound more "V8ighty" if that makes sense.

Also does anyone have any pointers to sound clips for each seup?

The reason I'm posting is because a lot of third gen GS300 and GS350 owners said the rear muffler delete is plain awful for the car but I'm curious how it translates to the GS430 motor.

Thank you and I look forward to being on the forum and I apologize if I failed at searching a glaringly obvious topic.
Old 11-28-15, 08:12 AM
LexLova
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Do some research & Weigh your options first

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...y-pleased.html
Old 11-30-15, 06:05 AM
KazF
Driver School Candidate

The Invidia sounds great but I wanted to just do a delete first since it would be free and then invest in true modifications a little later down the line that's why I wanted to know how the sounds and effects were.
Old 11-30-15, 11:51 AM
GS430NZ
Driver School Candidate

If you wish to avoid drone then I recommend staying away from a rear muffler delete.

I've personally done it to my '06 GS430 and it creates a bit of drone within the cabin, although only at certain times through the acceleration band. It definitely creates more of a V8 growl/rumble when idling and when you're flooring it but if you're driving/accelerating at a normal speed that's when the drone kicks in. It's at it's worst when I'm around 50% throttle through gears 4-6 especially when driving up hill.

It's kind of hard to explain and personally the drone doesn't bug me to much as its rather tamed compared to previously owned cars. But if it gets to a point where I want to lose the drone I'll just drop it down a gear or two until I get up to speed. Cruising along at 60mph in 6th the drone is rather minimal though, it's only through the acceleration that it really hits you.
Old 12-03-15, 08:22 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Another thing, and this could completely be my personal opinion coming out here, our cars just look funny when they're loud like a Camaro or Mustang :/ You'd be better off staying stock, or going with something mild. But hey, to each their own! If you do it, get a video up
Old 12-03-15, 08:44 AM
KazF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GS430NZ
If you wish to avoid drone then I recommend staying away from a rear muffler delete.

I've personally done it to my '06 GS430 and it creates a bit of drone within the cabin, although only at certain times through the acceleration band. It definitely creates more of a V8 growl/rumble when idling and when you're flooring it but if you're driving/accelerating at a normal speed that's when the drone kicks in. It's at it's worst when I'm around 50% throttle through gears 4-6 especially when driving up hill.

It's kind of hard to explain and personally the drone doesn't bug me to much as its rather tamed compared to previously owned cars. But if it gets to a point where I want to lose the drone I'll just drop it down a gear or two until I get up to speed. Cruising along at 60mph in 6th the drone is rather minimal though, it's only through the acceleration that it really hits you.

That doesn't sound too bad. It sounds like the drone happens less frequently enough that it isn't a constant headache.

Out of curiosity which rear muffler did you take out? The center or rear ones?

It sounds like just getting a proper exhaust would be the best remedy to this entire situation