GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Starter issue?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-15, 01:12 PM
b00stedk20
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Starter issue?

Hello. I'm new to the forum. I have a 2007 GS350 which i've own for 2 years now. The car is currently sitting at 102k miles. For the last few days i've been hearing this weird noise after a cold start up but it would go away. I didn't really think of anything. On my way home from work I stopped to get gas and when I try to turn my car on, all I hear is a whirring noise. It sounds like the starter is spinning but no engaging. I've searched the forum to see if this is a common issue and I haven't ran across a post about starter issues for the 3rd generation GS models. I've replaced the alternator about 3 months ago and the battery just 2 weeks ago. Any input would be great before I proceed to take out the starter and stuff. Thanks.
Old 11-12-15, 02:27 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I have not seen a single post on a starter issue with this model. curious to follow this thread.
Old 11-12-15, 02:38 PM
tatumjonj
Rookie

It sounds like the starter is turning but not engaging. Starters typically have a toothed gear that when the starter solenoid is powered, the gear springs forward, engages the flywheel, starts the car and then returns to it's normal position so the gear is clear of the teeth of the flywheel while the car is running. The "whirring" noise you hear is likely the starter spinning but it either isn't engaging the flywheel or the gear of the starter is stripped. The most likely scenario is either the starter is bad, the starter solenoid is bad, or possibly you have a bad cable running to the starter. I'm not super familiar with this particular setup, but starting a vehicle requires a tremendous amount of current. It's possible that if that current isn't being delivered at the appropriate amperage that the gear isn't springing out to engage the flywheel.

It's pretty easy to bench check. You need to remove the starter and clamp it into a bench vise so it won't fly around and then use jumper cables from a known good battery to quickly engage it. You can ground the negative of the battery directly to the casing/mount and then quickly tap the positive to the post. It should spring forward and spin like crazy. I can't stress enough to have the starter held firmly when you test it.
Old 11-12-15, 03:46 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

What's strange is I just started noticing my GS460 having some starter issues. Every once in a while it'll take 1.5-2 times longer on the cranking before it finally fires. Only happened a handful of times, but still something I'm keeping an ear out for.
Old 11-12-15, 08:27 PM
b00stedk20
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tatumjonj
It sounds like the starter is turning but not engaging. Starters typically have a toothed gear that when the starter solenoid is powered, the gear springs forward, engages the flywheel, starts the car and then returns to it's normal position so the gear is clear of the teeth of the flywheel while the car is running. The "whirring" noise you hear is likely the starter spinning but it either isn't engaging the flywheel or the gear of the starter is stripped. The most likely scenario is either the starter is bad, the starter solenoid is bad, or possibly you have a bad cable running to the starter. I'm not super familiar with this particular setup, but starting a vehicle requires a tremendous amount of current. It's possible that if that current isn't being delivered at the appropriate amperage that the gear isn't springing out to engage the flywheel.

It's pretty easy to bench check. You need to remove the starter and clamp it into a bench vise so it won't fly around and then use jumper cables from a known good battery to quickly engage it. You can ground the negative of the battery directly to the casing/mount and then quickly tap the positive to the post. It should spring forward and spin like crazy. I can't stress enough to have the starter held firmly when you test it.
Yeah that's what I'm assuming at this point. Im going to pull out the starter tomorrow and test it. I'm just hoping it's the solenoid because I would love to keep my OE starter. I'll keep this post updated.
Old 11-13-15, 12:54 AM
pdiddy594
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a 08 GS 460...similar issue!

Originally Posted by b00stedk20
Hello. I'm new to the forum. I have a 2007 GS350 which i've own for 2 years now. The car is currently sitting at 102k miles. For the last few days i've been hearing this weird noise after a cold start up but it would go away. I didn't really think of anything. On my way home from work I stopped to get gas and when I try to turn my car on, all I hear is a whirring noise. It sounds like the starter is spinning but no engaging. I've searched the forum to see if this is a common issue and I haven't ran across a post about starter issues for the 3rd generation GS models. I've replaced the alternator about 3 months ago and the battery just 2 weeks ago. Any input would be great before I proceed to take out the starter and stuff. Thanks.

At 110,000 miles my car wouldn't start either! Actually, it wouldn't try to crank the engine. I had a neighbor come over and look at it. What he discovered was that it was indeed the starter was bad. He went old school method and used a wire to engage the starter & was able to recreate that whirling motor sound you were talking about. The flywheel wouldn't engage thus, for me resulted in a no start situation! Dealership wanted $1340.00 to fix! I found a good remanufactured starter for $300-$60 core charge($240) & towed the car to a repair shop for $350. Will pick it up this morning! Total ($590) beats $1340.00 any day!
Old 11-13-15, 01:42 AM
LexLova
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by pdiddy594
At 110,000 miles my car wouldn't start either! Actually, it wouldn't try to crank the engine. I had a neighbor come over and look at it. What he discovered was that it was indeed the starter was bad. He went old school method and used a wire to engage the starter & was able to recreate that whirling motor sound you were talking about. The flywheel wouldn't engage thus, for me resulted in a no start situation! Dealership wanted $1340.00 to fix! I found a good remanufactured starter for $300-$60 core charge($240) & towed the car to a repair shop for $350. Will pick it up this morning! Total ($590) beats $1340.00 any day!

$350 for a tow 😁😁
Old 11-13-15, 05:13 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Anyone have a DIY on replacing the starter? Where is it on the GS350?
Old 11-13-15, 06:06 AM
b00stedk20
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by pdiddy594
Wow $350 for tow? And I was complaining $75 tow lol. But dealership price is ridiculous. Luckily I work at Advance Auto Parts part time job so I can get employee discount. Bad thing is that I have to second source the starter so it won't arrive until next friday. =/

Originally Posted by burny
Anyone have a DIY on replacing the starter? Where is it on the GS350?
I couldn't find a DIY on replacing the starter on the 3rd gen GS models but I do have mechanical background and I was able to find the starter. Luckily it's not behind the intake manifold like the previous models. Its actually located right under neath the car. If you remove a cover where it's covering the transmission, the starter is very much visible. I will try and make a DIY.
Old 11-13-15, 09:05 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

I would first check the easy stuff first before swapping out starters.

1: Check the battery, a weak battery can give you the same symptoms you're having.
2: Check the battery terminals
3: Check the wire from the battery to the starter
4: Check the power going to the starter.
Old 11-13-15, 02:57 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

If it is the starter, you can buy the solenoid with the brushes intact for around $75. part number 28226-22061
Old 11-16-15, 05:58 AM
b00stedk20
Driver School Candidate

UPDATE: So I was finally able to get the starter out Saturday. Getting that thing out was a pain in the @$$. Got the starter out and tested it. Starter spinned and engaged perfectly fine. Inspected the gear on the starter and there were slight wear on the teeths but nothing major enough where it wouldn't let it catch. Inspected the flexplate and no wear on them either. So I'm going to try and put it back in today and replace the starter relay and test the voltage at the power cable on the starter and hopefully it works. If not, ignition push button is next. I'll keep ya'll updated.
Old 11-16-15, 06:15 AM
tatumjonj
Rookie

Least likely culprit is the switch. If it spins the starter it's fine. The switch itself is a very low current device that powers a relay which in turn powers the starter solenoid. Likely culprit, solenoid or the main power wire that goes to the starter solenoid.

Is the solenoid located on the starter in that application? If not, then there will be another wire from the solenoid to the starter lug.
Old 11-16-15, 07:21 AM
b00stedk20
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tatumjonj
Least likely culprit is the switch. If it spins the starter it's fine. The switch itself is a very low current device that powers a relay which in turn powers the starter solenoid. Likely culprit, solenoid or the main power wire that goes to the starter solenoid.

Is the solenoid located on the starter in that application? If not, then there will be another wire from the solenoid to the starter lug.
Yes the solenoid is located on the starter. I inspected the terminal and there were no corrosion or anything that could look defective at all. I'm going to check voltage signal when attempting to start the vehicle to see where it's at.
Old 11-16-15, 07:30 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

I'm interested in following this. Thanks for keeping us updated.

Quick Reply: Starter issue?