GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

TPMS Issue and nobody can find out what or why

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-15, 07:49 PM
Cwiok71
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default TPMS Issue and nobody can find out what or why

Hey guys, anybody have this issue with their GS?

Last year oddly enough, around this same time my TPMS light came on saying check system (NOT check pressure) I figured it was a bad sensor so I went ahead and ordered a Doorman replacement from Amazon. When it arrived I went to my local Americas Tire here in SoCal. The technician put a hand held scanner to the wheels to find out which sensor is bad and his computer could not get any to read.
After 45 min to an hour of messing with things the tech came back and said he got it. He suggested that somehow the second set of rims button was pressed under the passenger kick panel. I was skeptical at first but the light was off so who cares.

Fast forward to yesterday-

Driving around the same time last year on the same stretch of road (within a couple of miles!!!!!) my light came on again.
The day before I plugged a nail hole and had my rim off for maybe 20 minutes and the ignition was never on.

I just got back from the same Americas Tire and again- Tech couldn't get any sensors on my car to read. tried all different frequencies, models and years.
He even tried to read the new replacement that was sealed in the box from Amazon I bought a year ago.

Nothing

Thinking it might be the stores reader he went a got a Toyota sensor from his stock and it scanned in just seconds.

We tried messing with the second set button and nothing would work.

Anybody have any suggestions?

The Tech was at a loss and agreed with me that is doubtful that 4 car sensors (I have a 450H with sway bar, so no spare) and the NIB Amazon sensor would all be bad with in a day.

***EDIT*** When my light turned on (both times) I was 60/70 miles outside of LA almost to Santa Barbra. I went all the way so San Luis Obispo and back yesterday so I put on well over the 15 or 50 miles people talk about here before the computer resets

Any advice or suggestions would be helpful
Thanks

Last edited by Cwiok71; 05-22-15 at 08:24 PM.
Old 05-22-15, 07:59 PM
SILENTM
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

You may have to re-register them first with techstream
Old 05-22-15, 08:06 PM
Cwiok71
Driver

Re-register what?

Nothing has been replaced, installed or moved.
Old 05-23-15, 07:19 AM
Othic
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Your best bet is to go to Lexus and let them look on the data list in the Techstream for the TPM system to see what's going on.
Old 05-23-15, 10:08 PM
LoveThatV8
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you've noticed I got a 1 on my iTrader points, that's cause I got the TP sensors and I gave him points to for that, when it came to installing it... It was shot to shat. So my next option was to buy a whole set ($240) to install and sync it to the car.

Moving on to your OP, you said scanned but nothing mentioned about syncing it to the brain.

Did he sync it to your car? Some of these dudes think you can scan it and tell you to run 50 miles for it to have the car read it, total BS. I've had a number of noobs tell me this, I was a bit skeptical myself cause I've told them it should be connected to the cpu but they were thinking I didn't know shat and ignored me. Long story short... Make sure to sync new sensors after it has been scanned.

Last edited by LoveThatV8; 05-23-15 at 10:15 PM.
Old 05-24-15, 05:50 AM
acer0611
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A couple of months ago I bought a set of used tire pressure sensors on ebay to have installed on my summer rims so I wouldn't have to be swapping out the ones in my winter tires. After they were installed the tech at my local tire shop scanned them and then connected his scan tool to the cpu connection under the drivers side dash. As LoveThatV8 stated, If they scanned the sensors and never synced them into the tmps brain then they never completed the job, so the cpu will never recognize the sensors. Either take the car to your Lexus dealership or go to a competent shop. If it turns out that the sensors are faulty for some reason the you can find a good set on ebay. Mine only cost me about 40 dollar for the set and they are the exact model as the OEM ones. Best of luck resolving your issue.
Old 05-24-15, 08:37 AM
lexo98
Racer

Received 263 Likes on 226 Posts

The ECU needs to be scanned for codes. That will tell you why or what sensor is causing the light to come on. If you don't have that done your going to keep going in circles. The sensors shouldn't need to be reprogrammed to the vehicle.
Old 05-24-15, 09:45 AM
Othic
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by lexo98
The ECU needs to be scanned for codes. That will tell you why or what sensor is causing the light to come on. If you don't have that done your going to keep going in circles. The sensors shouldn't need to be reprogrammed to the vehicle.
Every sensor needs to be programmed. The only sensors that aren't programmed are the SC430 sensors.
Old 05-24-15, 09:50 AM
chinatown
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SILENTM
You may have to re-register them first with techstream
SILENTM is correct. Many aftermarket TPMS readers and coders are unable to reset the ECU. This is where Techstream is required as it is in the OEM tool. You do however need a TPMS reader to pull the ID to be Inputted into Techstream for each set of sensors.

From there, you can get readers of what the PSI is in each tire as well what the lowest PSI is set at before the TPMS monitor kicks in.

With that being said, even though the GS can store 2 sets of sensors (summer/winter) I still will randomly get a "check system" relating to the TPMS and after a couple miles of driving or restart the car the system resets itself. I am using OEM sensors (all 8)

System has flaws but i doubt there is a permanent fix IMHO.
Old 05-24-15, 10:03 AM
alredxiii
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default sensors

My tpms light comes on once in a while pressure is good.It seems that if I reset the seat memory the light goes away a few minutes after.I don't have any idea why this happens but it does?????
Old 05-26-15, 11:25 PM
Cwiok71
Driver

Originally Posted by LoveThatV8
If you've noticed I got a 1 on my iTrader points, that's cause I got the TP sensors and I gave him points to for that, when it came to installing it... It was shot to shat. So my next option was to buy a whole set ($240) to install and sync it to the car.

Moving on to your OP, you said scanned but nothing mentioned about syncing it to the brain.

Did he sync it to your car? Some of these dudes think you can scan it and tell you to run 50 miles for it to have the car read it, total BS. I've had a number of noobs tell me this, I was a bit skeptical myself cause I've told them it should be connected to the cpu but they were thinking I didn't know shat and ignored me. Long story short... Make sure to sync new sensors after it has been scanned.
PM sent

The guys at Americas tire connected my car to their computer to scan the tire computer and a code came back- waiting for scan to complete. Or something along the lines of that.

The code started with a CXXXX

Anybody have Techstream and would want to / could help me out here in SoCal?

Thanks guys
Old 06-04-15, 06:46 AM
vascogamma
Driver School Candidate

mine does the same thing. it has to be registered with a scan tool. like the OTC TPR so that the vehicle recognize the new tpms. If the vehicle does not recognize it, the light will always comes on after 20 min of driving. This is not the same as resetting the tpms on the kick panel, those are to reset pressure not the sensor.

Btw, the tpms light might reset itself should there be changes in tire pressure (reduce the tire pressure, reset the tpms on the kick panel and inflate it again a lil bit) , but it will come back after 20 min of driving, if you drive for a couple of min and turn engine off, and drive again, it might not come back coz it hasn't gone through the 20 min drive cycle.

you need to register the tpms sensor every single time you change your wheels that has a new sensor, so if you have summer and winter tires with different set of wheels then you need to have it registered every single time you switch your tires.

Here's a link that might help:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLm1dGSbvOE

Last edited by vascogamma; 06-04-15 at 06:54 AM.
Old 06-05-15, 10:25 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 446 Likes on 283 Posts

Did you check you spare tire?? Maybe it's the sensor on that one!!
Old 06-07-15, 07:34 AM
alredxiii
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tpms

My spare tire does not have a sensor?????
Old 06-07-15, 08:04 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its a bad sensor in the wheel, go to a shop that has a snap on tool to scan your sensors.

Quick Reply: TPMS Issue and nobody can find out what or why