GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Car Alarm Issue / Draining battery!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-15, 01:57 PM
Kuleaze
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Alarm Issue / Draining battery!!!

Hey CL, I'm having an alarm issue that I didn't think much about until last night. Twice in the last three days I've come out to a completely dead battery because the alarm has been triggered. The first time it happen was at the gym and I thought maybe the car got bumped; I inspected it and found nothing out of place. Last night I was at friends playing Texas Holdem and again I came out and the car was dead. This time the car wasn't around any other vehicles and was in a place that no one should have had to go by it. Something is a miss here and was wondering if any of you might have experienced anything similar?? The first time it happen I was able to get into the vehicle using the key fob, last night I wasn't so lucky. I had to use a lock kit to get in so I could jump it. I had to do this cause I usually separate my fob from the physical key so I don't have to carry them. Until this is resolved, I'll have to stop doing that.

I'm planning on visiting the dealer, but thought maybe I could start here - so, can anyone arm me with info in preparation for my visit to the dealer?

One more thing, I noticed last night after getting the car jumped, I was able to drive home, park the car and when I went to set the alarm, my auto headlights would not shut off after hitting the "Lock" button several times on the fob. Every other time, hitting the lock button twice would always shut off the lights.

I called the dealer and asked if the car had a protection mode that would keep the alarm from draining the batter, they said no, which doesn't make sense to me, but maybe their right. I'm not sure. I've had the car for almost a year now with no issues!!

Thanks in advance for your input!!
Old 01-25-15, 08:36 AM
hanuman
Rookie

Well i had a similar experience with another car. A few questions.

How old is the battery. If weak the aftermarket alarm will drain it because it's constantly monitoring the car. If original then replace it.

How many sensors do you have glass break. Motion. Electrical scan etc. Check them and ensure they are working correctly. I had a bad sensor and it killed the battery.

Did you or the installer place the wires that are to be hot all the time vs. Key on in the correct spots. Could be on when suppose to be off.

Lastly may just be a bad unit.

My 2 cents.
Old 01-25-15, 10:41 AM
Kuleaze
Intermediate

Not sure how old the battery is; I purchased the car last April, so I'll definitely check it before my appointment. As for the alarm, it's not aftermarket, so I'm not sure how many sensors there are, but I don't think the factory alarm has all the sensors you mentioned. I guess I'll have to see what the dealer says if I don't find the battery to be faulty.

Thanks for the input hanuman!!
Old 01-26-15, 08:40 PM
Kuleaze
Intermediate

Update:

You were right about the battery! The car wouldn't start the following morning, and after sitting on a charger for 5 hours, the meter still read zero. I've replaced the battery and everything seems fine. Time will tell if the issue persists. Thanks again for the input.
Old 01-27-15, 05:39 AM
hanuman
Rookie

Hey that's great news. My bad I thought you had an aftermarket alarm. My apologies for rambling.

I bet it will be fine.
Old 01-27-15, 08:30 AM
Kuleaze
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hanuman
Hey that's great news. My bad I thought you had an aftermarket alarm. My apologies for rambling.

I bet it will be fine.
No worries, I appreciate the input!