GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Transmission Service Reminder on Start Up???

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-14, 08:37 PM
jegyed
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Transmission Service Reminder on Start Up???

I have an 08 350 AWD with only 52K. Today I noticed that a service indicator showed up on my screen for the Transmission. It says " ATF contact this dealer for Maintenance" The car shifts just fine. I did have to replace the oil pan and some fluid about 6 months ago and no issues since.
I can find not one drop of fluid in my Garage. Any ideas on what triggers the indicator?
Old 10-10-14, 05:13 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

fluid level is either too high or too low. There is a procedure you use when topping off the fluid. The car has to reach operating temperature in order to top it off. The fluid expands when hot.
Old 10-10-14, 07:48 AM
jegyed
Driver

I had the repair done by the dealer and they explained to me that the AWD version had to have all the shift points reset using some computer thing and the temp had to be in a certain range, Fairly cool at a certain range. The pan and the fluid cost about $800.

Its been six months so I wonder why now if its the fluid level? Believe me I am hoping that's all it is, they gave me a year warranty on the repair so I think this would fall under that but I hate to get there and have them tell me its something expensive that I have no clue about for
Old 10-10-14, 09:18 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

read this:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...iy-w-pics.html
Old 10-10-14, 10:16 AM
jegyed
Driver

Great link and info, and if I had not stripped the the drain bolt when doing this I would not have a new oil pan, I was so mad at myself. On the bright side I believe I got a full ATF change because of the pan removal.
Old 10-10-14, 10:46 AM
jegyed
Driver

Default Problem Solved / no problem.

I feel like a moron, It was a simple input date error on the touchscreen.
I read the manual and discovered that the date input in the maintenance information on the touchscreen was for the " next scheduled maintenance date" not the date of service. I assumed it was to record the date of the last service, just like the little stickers we are all used to. I have been doing it this way for some time and was puzzled why it is suddenly flashing up on the screen, but after I decided to look at all my inputs, Oil, Rotation, wipers, VVT Recall ( under personal)etc anything I entered a date for, and on the next start up,they all showed service due. The reason for this is that I recently must have pushed the "on" button at the top of the screen which activates the reminders on start-up, prior I must have had this turned off.

One anomaly:

The other stuff did not show up unitl I pushed the button to view the info, and then on restart all the other items suddenly showed up. I do not have an answer other than this observation as to why all the reminders did not show up at the same time. But when the ATF showed up, I did check a personal input I made to document the date my VVT recall service at the same time but that waited for several start ups to show , and when that flashed as needing service today, I knew something was up. I am still unsure why they did not show together. The other things I viewed all showed immediately after viewing on the next start up??
Old 10-10-14, 11:18 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by jegyed
Great link and info, and if I had not stripped the the drain bolt when doing this I would not have a new oil pan, I was so mad at myself. On the bright side I believe I got a full ATF change because of the pan removal.
Was there a filter/screen inside the tranny? Can you ask mechanics and report back?
Old 10-10-14, 12:00 PM
jegyed
Driver

Well the repair was six months ago and I did not think to inquire about that. I will ask next time I am at the dealer, but like most of us I try and avoid that place.
Old 10-10-14, 05:56 PM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by alchemist
Was there a filter/screen inside the tranny? Can you ask mechanics and report back?
This is what I want to know too! Been doing a lot of research on the AE760 transmissions but nothing concrete. I have a strong feeling it's attached to the bottom of the valve body. The 8 spd in the LS has one so why not ours. I am going to call a local repair shop in the morning that services the luxury Japanese imports because on their website they recommend changing the fluid and filters in all Toyota/Lexus transmission that are "non serviceable" in other words that use the WS fluid.
Old 10-10-14, 07:51 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't think you have to worry about filters, just do drain and fills of the WS for like $60-80 at decent independents with factory trained people every few years and you ought to be pretty safe. A lot safer than most people who will drive 150,000 miles not doing a thing to the transmission in the US because their service schedule doesn't tell them to think about it.