GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

'11 GS450h horrible smell in cabin, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-14, 01:24 PM
andynoel78
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default '11 GS450h horrible smell in cabin, HELP!

Hi all:

For the past month or so, i've noticed a rather unpleasant odor in the cabin of my '11 GS450h, which was brand new in April (it was a demo vehicle, never sold or titled). I've never had food in it, never spilled anything, and prior to a month ago, it still had the new car smell.

I can't tell where it's coming from. It isn't a moldy smell at all, but rather something like a dead mouse. Simply put, it smells like hot garbage that's been sitting in the garage for a few weeks.

I put my nose to every surface, to the rugs, leather, dash... can't find the source. I took out the cabin air filter in hopes of finding the source, but the filter was very clean and i didn't see any debris in there. I tried to stick my nose in, but i couldn't smell anything.

I "think" it's coming from the A/C/Heater vents, as when running if i put my nose up to the vent, i can really smell it.

What do you guys think i could do? I really need to find the source of this smell... Are there any schematics for the duct-work for the A/C inlet? Maybe there's something trapped.

I've always run it on "recirculate" mode, preferring to cycle inside air rather than take in outside air. So my "thinking" as that if there was a dead animal in the duct-work for the outside air, i wouldn't be smelling it, no?

Thanks in advance for any input!
Old 09-04-14, 01:40 PM
pwrusr
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmm, have you checked if the HVAC is blocked? I know there was a TSB on it but not sure if it fell under 2011
Old 09-04-14, 01:42 PM
andynoel78
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PWRSTEVE
Hmm, have you checked if the HVAC is blocked? I know there was a TSB on it but not sure if it fell under 2011
How do i go about checking that?
Old 09-04-14, 01:48 PM
pwrusr
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by andynoel78
How do i go about checking that?
file:///C:/Users/pwsng/Downloads/hva...kage%20(2).pdf

usually you'll notice under the rear carpets damp or wet
Old 09-04-14, 02:08 PM
andynoel78
Driver School Candidate

Hmm... I just felt around the carpets, and there's definitely no moisture. Put my nose up to them, and no smell at all.

The smell i'm smelling is definitely not a mold/musty smell. It's not the rotten egg smell either, or any "typical" A/C smell.

It smells more like a dead animal or rotting garbage. Very unpleasant.
Old 09-04-14, 02:58 PM
2008gs460
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turn off the A/C and see if the smell isn't there anymore. If it is, well, then buy that AC refresher kit from Toyota and see if that does anything for you.

If the smell is still there and is particularily obvious when the car is hot then look under the car and see what may have melted onto your exhaust. I have had a plastic bag fuse to my exhaust that was pretty bad.
Old 09-04-14, 02:58 PM
masboy
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

could it be a plastic burn smell? it possible a plastic bag got stuck around ur exhaust.
Old 09-04-14, 05:01 PM
andynoel78
Driver School Candidate

Damn, I just played around with the A/C switch and there's no difference ON or OFF. I've been playing with it for a few hours now and either my nose is getting desensitized or the smell is fading. I can smell the odor in the car, but at the moment i can't say it's coming through the A/C vents or not. I don't know which way is up!

And the exhaust is clear. The smell is definitely confined to the interior.

I'll do more playing around with it tomorrow after the car's been sitting in the sun. I notice it most in the evening after the car's been cooled down after being out in the FL sun.
Old 09-05-14, 04:37 AM
Stoodo
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 43 Posts

Have you changed the cabin filter? If not, you'll be surprised at the nastiness that has accumulated and could he stinking up your air.
Old 09-05-14, 06:08 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

if you use the AC, check the evap water drain tube. it might be clogged. if you use your ac, dont leave it on recirculate and turn it off before getting home. it might not be draining and building up
Old 09-05-14, 06:34 AM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

If it's that rancid, there could be a small dead animal stuck underneath your car. Wife had a squirrel bound up in her VW EOS that we nearly sold due to the same issue (we sold it for an RX anyway, but after I found the carcass). I feel your pain. You're not also missing a cat?
Old 09-05-14, 08:59 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

I would start with the cabin filter theres a secret trick to getting it out without breaking the flap door. Look inside, smell inside see if its coming near there. If theres hay or some sort of nest, know that you have some animal has visited your car. Find it and clean it out.

Next thing I would do after you remove the odor causing problem. Buy a can of dakota odor bomb (new car smells nice) from any detailer shop online. At night, place the can over cardboard and flip on the fogger and let the chemicals fogger abosrb until morning. Youll have a new car scent for a month or two. This is what used car dealers use to remove odors. The Dakota will remove it all!

Old 09-05-14, 11:36 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Have you had your hybrid system checked out lately? Back-up battery systems give off a terrible odor when they start to go bad at times.
Old 09-05-14, 03:34 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

You could always try the AC refresher kit that Lexus offers... start there,, if that doesn't work then head to dealer...
Old 09-08-14, 04:02 PM
LexLova
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I think it's just something with 3rdGen. I replaced my cabin filter with this and it def got a lot better but sporadically you can still smell the crazy odor.
Attached Thumbnails '11 GS450h horrible smell in cabin, HELP!-image.jpg  

Quick Reply: '11 GS450h horrible smell in cabin, HELP!