GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Ran over a huge piece of tar and it stuck to my tire............

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-07, 01:26 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ran over a huge piece of tar and it stuck to my tire............

I thought I had a flat at first, so I pulled over and discovered a huge piece of tar stuck to my right rear tire. It was so sticky that I could not pull it off. So, I decided to just drive it. The car shook really bad as the extra tar put the wheel very out of balance.

When I got home, I could not scape it off with a screwdriver. The stuff was so sticky and adhered to the tire. It flattened itself around about half the tire. It is amazing how a piece of tar like this will throw the car totally out of whack! Hopefully this stuff will wear off in a 100 miles or so.
Old 08-16-07, 02:19 PM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it interfering with traction? You may now have an excuse to lay some tread marks on the pavement to get the tar off.
Old 08-16-07, 02:40 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bushwack
Is it interfering with traction? You may now have an excuse to lay some tread marks on the pavement to get the tar off.
Actually, I think the stuff is so sticky that I probably have better traction. The most annoying thing is the vibration caused by the wheel being out of balance.
Old 08-16-07, 02:44 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

ouch, those tar is gonna be in ur wheel wells and maybe some body pieces, try gettin them off cuz it looks bad and it'll mess up ur car with the stains. maybe get a bottle of bug n tar remover and just pour it over the stain and maybe u can pry it off with a screwdriver. how big is "huge"?
Old 08-16-07, 02:49 PM
Aristo-cat
Driver

i'd say heat it up and pull it off
Old 08-16-07, 03:23 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

You should get it off as soon as possible. If you leave it on and drive around like that, it might make the tire wear funny. Heat it up with a blow dryer and pick at it with a screwdriver.
Old 08-16-07, 04:42 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2thfixr
You should get it off as soon as possible. If you leave it on and drive around like that, it might make the tire wear funny. Heat it up with a blow dryer and pick at it with a screwdriver.
i second that recommendation. you would be surprised how something like this could affect the rest of your tires and/or alignment and/or balance if it isn't taken care of soon enough... you certainly don't want to risk getting uneven wear on the other tires!
Old 08-16-07, 09:09 PM
AlBoston
Pole Position

if you have the advans just get new tires, hehe.
Old 08-17-07, 06:53 AM
noncom23
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try Goo Gone?
Old 08-17-07, 10:40 AM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 2thfixr
If I had to do what I did this morning again, I'd just buy another tire instead!

I pulled the tire off and started going at the gooey tar with a screwdriver. It did not scrape off as much as it moved around. When I would get a big pile on the tire it would finally stick to the screwdriver and break loose from the tire. Getting it off the screwdriver was another challenge. There was a 1/8 to 1/4 layer of tar on one side of the tire. After two hours of work and using every cuss work that I learned in the Navy, I had removed the majority of the tar (about the size of a baseball). Oh and have I told you yet about driving the screwdriver into my hand?

Anyway the car drives smooth now and the rest of the gooey stuff will wear off the tire. It is much softer than the rubber, but sticks like the dickens.

As much $$$ as you appear to have Robert, there is no doubt you'd just buy another tire. If this happens to me again, I know I'll buy a tire.
Old 08-17-07, 12:31 PM
sarge43
Driver

Good thing you finally got it off. Cold (using ice, etc.) may have caused it to become brittle and less sticky and easier to remove. Freezing works well with gum also.
Old 08-18-07, 05:21 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AlBoston
if you have the advans just get new tires, hehe.
No, these are Michelins that I put on when the car was new. Love them! They are the Energy MXV4 S8s. Ride smooth, quiet, all season grip road and snow as good as I could hope for.
Old 08-18-07, 06:42 PM
chocaholic
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sarge43
Good thing you finally got it off. Cold (using ice, etc.) may have caused it to become brittle and less sticky and easier to remove. Freezing works well with gum also.
Simply place wheel/tire unit in freezer for 4-6 hours. Chip off unwanted tar.

Yeah...right.
Old 08-19-07, 05:12 PM
gs9351
Rookie

Unhappy hey that happened to me too...

I feel for you. It didn't happen to my Lexus but rather on my daily driver. I had a huge lump of tar on the front right wheel; a patch of at least 1/4 circumference; you can imagine how badly the car shook and vibrated during braking and steering. It was the messiest job to remove all that gook, and yes the Navy cuss-words help deal with it. But the best thing when it was gone, I can now laugh about it, knowing I'm not the only one. Sorry for your troubles!
Old 08-19-07, 07:32 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
As much $$$ as you appear to have Robert, there is no doubt you'd just buy another tire. If this happens to me again, I know I'll buy a tire.
Nope, I'm cheap that way. I would have scraped it off and probably would have had a great time doing it. I get a kick out of little challenges like that.

Quick Reply: Ran over a huge piece of tar and it stuck to my tire............