GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Xpel ultimate paint protection film

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-14, 05:47 PM
xRYD3Rx
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Xpel ultimate paint protection film

Anyone on CL got expel on their car?
I got Full bumper/hood/fender/mirror/headlights/fogs covered for $1300 comes with 10 year warranty

Question- Whats the best way to maintain the film? Can the film be waxed?...
Old 06-02-14, 05:45 AM
uberEJ
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

film can be waxed. but, after awhile your car's paint will not match under the film to the spots that aren't covered. There's a g35 around my area using it and he has had in on for awhile id say about 2 years, and with it on after awhile you can see which areas aren't covered. after removed it he had to repaint the car to get it all back to the same hue because you can see where the film used to be.

If your going to wrap those areas make sure its the full area not just the areas towards the front of the car. just take into future reference that you can only prevent sun damage for so long.

maintaining it I would say wash, light claybar, wax regularly, try and park little as possible under the sunlight during the time you have it on.

Last edited by uberEJ; 06-02-14 at 05:54 AM.
Old 06-02-14, 12:14 PM
xRYD3Rx
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by uberEJ
film can be waxed. but, after awhile your car's paint will not match under the film to the spots that aren't covered. There's a g35 around my area using it and he has had in on for awhile id say about 2 years, and with it on after awhile you can see which areas aren't covered. after removed it he had to repaint the car to get it all back to the same hue because you can see where the film used to be.

If your going to wrap those areas make sure its the full area not just the areas towards the front of the car. just take into future reference that you can only prevent sun damage for so long.

maintaining it I would say wash, light claybar, wax regularly, try and park little as possible under the sunlight during the time you have it on.
Cars mainly parked under the shade. I only got the full front done but the people that did it they tucked in the edges that its not visible when looking at it.
Old 07-12-14, 06:22 PM
Raidin
Advanced

Received 205 Likes on 122 Posts

As I understand it, the reason why some cars show different paint discoloration between areas protected by film and areas that aren't, is because the film being used blocks some UV light, which causes the paint to fade slower.

If you want to use film on your car but only on some of the painted surfaces, make sure you use a film that doesn't block any UV light.
Old 07-14-14, 04:48 AM
uberEJ
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

hmmm good to know.... ill have to look into that now. my front bumper getting rock nicks and I hate it =(
Old 07-14-14, 08:49 AM
Asav
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Wow, this would be a deal breaker for me. Having to repaint a vehicle because of the negative impact of having the paint protection film seems too costly and burdensome. I will just deal with the the rock chips and respray the bumper when it becomes intolerable if that happens before i'm ready to ditch the car. I don't do much highway driving anyway these days.
Old 07-14-14, 10:29 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Just keep a few coats of a good paint sealant on it and you won't notice much of a difference. I'd rather have slight discoloration, over nasty, white chips all over the front of my SGM paint. Then again, UV damage here in WA isn't that big of a worry :/ haha.