GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

couple things...

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-14, 03:24 PM
mstrsltr
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default couple things...

what the F happened with Lexus between 2006 and now?!?!

I owned a 2002 IS300 SportCross, and a 2006 RX400h, and am SUPER disappointed in my 2010 GS350. I've always bought my cars used, and have always had really positive experiences with Lexus. But this one is just a disappoinment.

I bought the 2010 GS350 in November 2013. Here are my major gripes:

1.) This car is damn noisy. The engine noise is whiny and annoying, like a sewing machine. Something around the steering column creaks constantly, with every seam in the road. There is some crazy high pitched squealing coming from underneath the glove box when the climate is on. And when the crazy high pitched squeal isn't there, an overly loud fan motor seems to be running.

2.) Performance wise, this car is no match for my 2002 IS300. Sorry, but it's not. IS300 acceleration was much sportier, handling was much snappier, and it didn't sound like a little RC Car. Yeah, the GS350 has 75hp more than my IS300 did, but it's hamstrung by weak-***, noisy, jerky acceleration. Maybe I was misinformed when I bought this car...

3.) What is the deal with the USB connection and the iPhone?!?! I could really actually use some help with this. While using the AUX input (because I can't get the bluetooth to work for music) it will inexplicably stop playing sound. I have to disconnect the iPhone, reselect the AUX input AND reselect the source on the phone. SUPER annoying while driving. Do I need a firmware upgrade or something to get this to stop happening?

Generally just bummed that I'm now essentially stuck with a car that in my opinion (and experience!) falls short of the Lexus legacy that I thought I could rely on.

Last edited by mstrsltr; 04-09-14 at 03:28 PM.
Old 04-09-14, 04:05 PM
Schmexus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wrong section, but there is absolutely no way your is300 is faster than ANY gs350. It might feel faster or sound faster, but it's not. There is something incredibly wrong with your particular gs350 if its not faster than a stock is300.

That "sewing machine" sound is the direct injection. All 2grfse have that noise.

If you disable the album art that might fix your problem with it shutting off. A lot of the 4g guys have this issue and I believe it had to do with the album art.
Old 04-09-14, 04:09 PM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Well the 3GS had many issue's the creaks were the major issue's that many complained about, I would do a search as most of the questions or gripes you had are all answered. The reason the engine sounds like a sewing machine is the direct injection. Which has been covered as well. The GS had some negatives and positives. In order to get it to fell like a sporty ride lowering suspension and sway bar will def help, power I think is sufficient I also wish there was more hp. Although the new GS is way better, hope you find some of this useful.
Old 04-09-14, 04:35 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

I'm personally very happy with my 2008. Sell it and move on if it's not right for you.
Old 04-09-14, 06:38 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
I'm personally very happy with my 2008. Sell it and move on if it's not right for you.
Ditto for my 2009. However, I also wasn't impressed with the handling when I first purchased it (especially after coming from a slightly modded '06 IS350). I installed the F-sport sway bars and Tanabe lowering springs and it was a HUGE improvement. My only gripe has been some of the dash rattles but I had that same issue with my IS so no surprise there. Bluetooth wise (and a '10 may be different than a '09) I use the Blackberry Bluetooth Music Gateway plugged into the AUX port to stream music from my iPhone. Works flawlessly. OP, as far as the humming noise from the glove box, you may want to check to make sure the cabin air filter is installed correctly. There's a panel in the back of the glove box to access it.
Old 04-09-14, 07:32 PM
Schmexus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by anthrax144
OP, as far as the humming noise from the glove box, you may want to check to make sure the cabin air filter is installed correctly. There's a panel in the back of the glove box to access it.
Good call. I'd bet that's the issue.
Old 04-09-14, 10:31 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

You bought a GS, not another IS.... Can't complain about handling when you're talking about two different purposeful cars .

As for the sound, you should have known this upon purchase. It's something I see and hear about every once in a while, and to be honest. It's your fault if you didn't do your light reading and research before purchasing the car.

Either way, I still love my GS and wouldn't trade it for anything tbh >
Old 04-09-14, 11:34 PM
3gsJaayyyy
Driver

Was it just me, or did everyone read the OP with an angry voice? Have you tried taking it to a lexus dealership to have it checked out? Also, you cant compare an IS to a GS. That sewing machine sound is your direct injection...ohh someone already said that.
Old 04-10-14, 07:38 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Also, I noticed you're from NY - do you live in the city? Those streets could be causing the majority of those dash rattles.
Old 04-10-14, 07:59 AM
uberEJ
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

BRO.... this isn't a 2j like an is300.

the is300 is a lower car, lighter, and smaller. which means it will pull different. i can tell you right now that an is300 with intake, exhaust, coilovers, and street tune will not beat my gs350. i know this because ive tested it with a buddy of mine. we even switched cars to see if it was the driver. from a dead stop gs pulled, from a 40 roll it was a a very very small pull for the gs. and IMO i feel the response is better in a straight 6 than a v6

the is300 is more suitable for the sportier side of lexus. and when i say sportier i mean on track. not saying the gs can't be tuned to "track status" but don't hate on lexus for making a completely different car where someone has to go and compare them. go to the lexus dealership and get your car looked at... simple. to save you some money.... read the forums... a lot has been covered here. did you even get your car from a legitimate dealership?

I've put spring recently and already, it drives and handles a lot better than before.

im with... XxGoKoUxX... i love my gs i have that engine ticking noise and it irritates me but the functionality and comfortability just beats it. i don't feel like the engine is loud, i don't have any creeks or cracks, my blower motor sounds normal. i would never trade it for anything.... maybe for another gs350 rwd still its in the gs fam.

sorry but this kind of comparison grinds my gears.

Last edited by uberEJ; 04-10-14 at 08:09 AM.
Old 04-10-14, 07:39 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 3gsJaayyyy
Was it just me, or did everyone read the OP with an angry voice? Have you tried taking it to a lexus dealership to have it checked out? Also, you cant compare an IS to a GS. That sewing machine sound is your direct injection...ohh someone already said that.
That I did lol.... Seems like he just outright hates his GS and wants to get rid of it....

I'll trade you a cheeseburger and the few bucks left in my pocket for it OP!

Originally Posted by uberEJ
BRO.... this isn't a 2j like an is300.

the is300 is a lower car, lighter, and smaller. which means it will pull different. i can tell you right now that an is300 with intake, exhaust, coilovers, and street tune will not beat my gs350. i know this because ive tested it with a buddy of mine. we even switched cars to see if it was the driver. from a dead stop gs pulled, from a 40 roll it was a a very very small pull for the gs. and IMO i feel the response is better in a straight 6 than a v6

the is300 is more suitable for the sportier side of lexus. and when i say sportier i mean on track. not saying the gs can't be tuned to "track status" but don't hate on lexus for making a completely different car where someone has to go and compare them. go to the lexus dealership and get your car looked at... simple. to save you some money.... read the forums... a lot has been covered here. did you even get your car from a legitimate dealership?

I've put spring recently and already, it drives and handles a lot better than before.

im with... XxGoKoUxX... i love my gs i have that engine ticking noise and it irritates me but the functionality and comfortability just beats it. i don't feel like the engine is loud, i don't have any creeks or cracks, my blower motor sounds normal. i would never trade it for anything.... maybe for another gs350 rwd still its in the gs fam.

sorry but this kind of comparison grinds my gears.
Ha, couldn't agree with you more ej! If your 350 AWD blew the doors off the IS, imagine the RWD .

At the end of the day OP, consider that you bought a boat mobile made for the "older" folks driving
Old 04-10-14, 09:27 PM
dellexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree wigh GoKou...
I have always been a BMW fan but before purchasing my 06 GS430 i done my research and to be honest im very very impressed with my GS, it puts a smile on my face everytime i press the throttle and or enter the vehicle.

My previous car before the GS was a 745Li Project Kahn edition, it had more power then my GS and had all the possible options which were available on the 7er but realistically speaking I still think my GS outshines it in many ways.

Little creaks and rattles you would expect from any vehicle once all components start wearing in which I think is very standard on all vehicles after a few years.

Personally speaking I dont think I will be buying another German vehicle and I have already made my mind up and my next car is definately going to be the LS600h or LS460.

I dont know much about the GS350 as its not available in the UK but my GS430 is super quiet with no whining of any sort and trust me when I say it is more quiet then my 7er ever was and my 7er was well looked after.
Old 04-10-14, 09:31 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Why didn't you test drive the car before you bought it?
Old 04-11-14, 04:29 AM
uberEJ
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

... OWNED.

does anyone still say that? lol

but any who all I can say is research, locate, test, then buy.

took my almost 8 months before I bought mine.
Old 04-12-14, 05:50 AM
Ironman50
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I have been very pleased with my 2008 GS 350.

Suggestion - trade it for a BMW or Mercedes and then come back to us and whine.

Quick Reply: couple things...