GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

In an accident today,

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-14, 01:40 PM
d6lc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In an accident today,

So driving to work, crawling along at no more than 5 mph, was looking down at the fact my son had left the passenger heated seat on and CRUNCH….. went into the back of a Chevy Suburban.
Due to the fact that they have the high bumpers and tow package, his car has a damaged bumper cover and mine looks like I hit a wall at 60mph.
Clearly my bumper missed the impact and rode under his hitch, so his hitch went straight into my grill, shortened the hood 6 inches!, and smashed the lights on 1 side, no airbag deployment so that is one good point, no radiator damage but the hood is so crumpled it’s tough to see over it so I can’t really drive it.

Anyone had any experience of a light frontal in a GS, looks like it is going to cost a lot to fix, I am surprised for a 5mph impact,
Old 03-04-14, 01:40 PM
d6lc
Driver School Candidate

Default In an accident today,

So driving to work, crawling along at no more than 5 mph, was looking down at the fact my son had left the passenger heated seat on and CRUNCH….. went into the back of a Chevy Suburban.
Due to the fact that they have the high bumpers and tow package, his car has a damaged bumper cover and mine looks like I hit a wall at 60mph.
Clearly my bumper missed the impact and rode under his hitch, so his hitch went straight into my grill, shortened the hood 6 inches!, and smashed the lights on 1 side, no airbag deployment so that is one good point, no radiator damage but the hood is so crumpled it’s tough to see over it so I can’t really drive it.

Anyone had any experience of a light frontal in a GS, looks like it is going to cost a lot to fix, I am surprised for a 5mph impact,
Old 03-04-14, 02:42 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the hood is made to crumple so it won't take your head off in an impact. Oh ya, it will cost you... it's a Lexus. LOL Cost me over $200 to replace a sheet of plastic covering the engine under the car.

Either you were driving too close or you look down too long............or your 5mph is actually 100mph.

If U do have to drive that close, be super alert... which mean NO looking elsewhere.

If you do look down too long.......next time make sure you are NOT MOVING.

If you did go 100mph, SUPER ALERT would help.... same rule, do not look elsewhere.
Old 03-04-14, 03:52 PM
xRYD3Rx
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Post some pictures! I will give you an estimate.
Old 03-04-14, 03:56 PM
LADavidGS
Driver

Sorry to hear about your situation. I am glad to hear that you are well enough where you are able to share your story. First, it will cost some $$$. I hope you have a great insurance policy since fixing Lexus is quite costly. As mention above, the plastic housing is around $200 thus, I can't imagine the cost of replacing your precious Lexus. Second, call your insurance company to discuss about your policy. Last, seek professional opinion from your trust worth body shop around your area and always ask for OEM parts instead of cheap knock offs. Once again, sorry to hear about your situation but with some due diligent and time, hopefully you can revive your Lexus again. Good luck!

Last edited by LADavidGS; 03-04-14 at 04:07 PM.
Old 03-04-14, 09:28 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

That's unfortunate to hear.... Hood is pricey, your radiator mount might be needing replacement, either that or your front end needs to be pulled forward a little bit, since you say the hood's back quite a few inches. Headlights on our cars are pricey, be prepared
Old 03-04-14, 10:18 PM
Kuleaze
Intermediate

Hmm, I see a silver lining here... Can you say new aftermarket front clip, headlights, fog lights, fenders and hood, maybe even a full body kit since you have to have it paint matched anyway??? Air ride?? Hahaha... Go all the way since you're half way there!!

I probably shouldn't be posting, just got back from the Hawks game and have a few cocktails in me!!
Old 03-05-14, 09:55 AM
XxGoKoUxX

LOL.... I'm not sure if his insurance would be happy that it's his fault it happened .

GL to OP though! Same thing happened on my civic for a while..... The good part is ins wasn't involved and the front clip replacement, FULL front clip w/ radiator mount, all OEM parts, were $300 total (before paint)
Old 03-05-14, 10:54 AM
d6lc
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, when I say the hood is back a few inches I mean it is crumpled up, I think it is primarily cosmetic rather than structural, either way it will be expensive.
Cant get it assessed until the 18th, courtesy of the polar vortex and associated ice accidents in the Midwest
I really hope it is repairable, only had it 5 months and 450H’s are rare around here
Old 03-05-14, 11:43 AM
XxGoKoUxX

It's definitely repairable.... if your car's in moving condition you'll be fine.

GL!
Old 03-06-14, 01:13 PM
Majek
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hear about your story. I hope everything goes well.

However, I was under the impression that even if the passenger heated switch is set to on, it will not actually turn on until someone is sitting on the seat. Sort of like how the passenger seatbelt warning chime only comes on if someone is sitting there. I could be wrong.