GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Hello, folks! New GS460 owner here...

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-14, 04:27 PM
twindham
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thomas GS4 - hope you dont park next to me somewhere because our GS4's appear to be indentical!! Nice ride - how many miles do you have on it? I got mine in Dec 2011 with 22K on it. I love this car. Currently at 66K miles and so far flawless other than the occasional hesitation which Techron cleared up.
Old 02-01-14, 04:47 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Hello, twindham! After today's drive to the Palo Duro Canyon here in the panhandle of Texas, she reached the 72k mark.

I absolutely love mine too! Where in Texas are you? I wouldn't mind a parking buddy!
Old 02-03-14, 01:03 PM
LexLeezard
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No jealous here, folks ...

This is for ThomasGS4 and twindham and designo and everyone else ...

So, here in S Alberta today, it's almost -20C (about -4F) with a strong N wind and blowing snow.

It's cold and miserable and we have had more snow here this year than in any year previous since they started keeping records in the late 1800s -- and winter isn't over yet. Oh yay.

Anyway, seeing your pics of trunk spaces and emergency spares and beautiful rolling countryside and warm weather motivated me to share the following, all taken just a short while ago ...

Cheers to February / best wishes to all / LexLeezard

PS -- those Sorels in the trunk are good to -80F. No joke. I've had them for years, and always carry them with me in the winter. Saved my bacon more than once. I don't usually carry a shovel unless I'm planning to travel a long distance or in the mountains. Not really necessary for commuting in the city. Scraper is always across the footwell in the back seat along with my heavy gloves, an extra sweater and tuque (that's "wool cap" in non-Canuck speak).
Attached Thumbnails Hello, folks! New GS460 owner here...-picture-17.png  
Old 02-03-14, 01:07 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

LexLeezard, it's never a bad idea to be prepared! I imagine you're an Eagle Scout such as myself?
Old 02-03-14, 02:52 PM
LexLeezard
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
LexLeezard, it's never a bad idea to be prepared! I imagine you're an Eagle Scout such as myself?
Nope, was never a scout -- but grew up in the Northern Ontario bush (decades ago now) with no phone, power, running water, etc. This experience started before skidoos, so you get the picture. Extended basic survival set up excellent preparation for just about anything! Escaped and became heavily urbanized and citified, a true denizen of the steel and glass canyons. Game trails were replaced by bus routes and subway tracks, but definitely involved more survival! Eventually returned to the bush in B.C. (this time deep in the mountains) to build the proverbial log cabin "off the grid". Then re-invented yet again and made a career in academe, then moved over again this time to business and industry. Until finding this GS460, have owned nothing but Toyota 4x4s (and a couple of Volvos) to help with the hunting and gathering on the way! So, yep -- for the most part, I'm pretty well always prepared, for whatever comes along. But, I also know being prepared isn't the whole story ... Cheers / LexLeezard
Old 02-05-14, 06:48 PM
twindham
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thomas GS4 - thats a great pic in Palo Duro. I am in Conroe - about 50 miles north of Houston. If your ever in Houston ping me and we can compare cars. I see one difference - wheels - mine are same as your but chrome.
Old 02-11-14, 08:07 PM
49erGS460
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
LexLeezard, for what it's worth, here's a mighty fine example of a 2011 GS460 for sale. They are out there, believe it or not!

http://www.lexusofalbuquerque.com/Ce...NM/vd/18176559

I appreciate the call-out; it's interesting to see the actual production numbers. Now if we could only get the 2011 PDF...
ThomasGS4 or anyone else: Thoughts on this vehicle in particular? Sold my 2010 GS350 and regretting it.. Seems like this one doesn't have the backup sensors or the Mark Levinson upgrade (my 350 didn't have either was well). However, I love the low mileage and fact that it only has had one owner (although in NM, would have preferred CA). If I re-join the GS family, it def would be a 3GS460.
Old 02-12-14, 07:30 PM
LexLeezard
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 49erGS350
ThomasGS4 or anyone else: Thoughts on this vehicle in particular? Sold my 2010 GS350 and regretting it.. Seems like this one doesn't have the backup sensors or the Mark Levinson upgrade (my 350 didn't have either was well). However, I love the low mileage and fact that it only has had one owner (although in NM, would have preferred CA). If I re-join the GS family, it def would be a 3GS460.
Go for it. Go for it NOW! The GS460 is one of the best kept secrets out there. Those of us in the club know that to be true. And a 2011? My god, man, you will never regret it -- especially with that low, low mileage. My only advice, if you acquire it -- give nothing but tender, tender, tender loving care. And, aim to keep and coddle it forever -- and ENJOY it! DRIVE it! Don't worry about going "green" or following Elon Musk, bless his cotton socks. Not with this rare gem being available. The GS460 is one of the most well-done car things in life that just will not ever, ever, ever come along again, 99.9999999% certain of that. And like I say, a 2011? How many are out there? On the whole planet? Three? Four? I would get it right now myself if I could do it, and ship it straight up to Calgary. Can't. Just can't do it! Damn! DAMN! Best wishes / Lexleezard
Old 02-12-14, 07:43 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

49erGS350, the only things that hold me back on that 2011 are lack of options, and the price. Other than that, you will not be sorry you got a GS460.
Old 02-13-14, 05:52 PM
TBone12
Rookie

Wow, reading this thread has really made me appreciate my car even more. I mean, I knew they were rare, but not ~1700 units rare. Thats awesome, I was really luck to pick up my 2011 gs460 last year with only 18K miles!
Old 02-13-14, 06:37 PM
RYKR
Rookie

I'm glad the 4GS was never offered a V8 or else I wouldn't have appreciated how rare and special my GS460 is. It has aged gracefully and is a joy to drive everytime. This one will be a keeper for a very long time and I'll be adding the upcoming GSF as a stable mate in the near future.
Old 02-17-14, 05:37 PM
49erGS460
Rookie

Originally Posted by LexLeezard
Go for it. Go for it NOW! The GS460 is one of the best kept secrets out there. Those of us in the club know that to be true. And a 2011? My god, man, you will never regret it -- especially with that low, low mileage. My only advice, if you acquire it -- give nothing but tender, tender, tender loving care. And, aim to keep and coddle it forever -- and ENJOY it! DRIVE it! Don't worry about going "green" or following Elon Musk, bless his cotton socks. Not with this rare gem being available. The GS460 is one of the most well-done car things in life that just will not ever, ever, ever come along again, 99.9999999% certain of that. And like I say, a 2011? How many are out there? On the whole planet? Three? Four? I would get it right now myself if I could do it, and ship it straight up to Calgary. Can't. Just can't do it! Damn! DAMN! Best wishes / Lexleezard
Thanks for the reply, Lexleezard! Test drove the GS450h and definitely ruled it out. Waiting for the right 460 to pop up. I would be sacrificing too much due (color combo, lack of options) with the one in NM. The search continues!
Old 02-18-14, 03:08 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Glad to hear you have your heart set on a 460. You certainly won't be dissatisfied!
Old 02-18-14, 03:13 PM
LexLeezard
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 49erGS350
Thanks for the reply, Lexleezard! Test drove the GS450h and definitely ruled it out. Waiting for the right 460 to pop up. I would be sacrificing too much due (color combo, lack of options) with the one in NM. The search continues!
Have you called the dealer in NM to find out if the options you want are on the car or not? Personally I wouldn't trust 100% what is listed on the advertisement -- I'd want to talk to a guy down there who knows the car, understands what to look for, and knows how to honestly describe things to anyone who is interested. Plus they should be able to instantly e-mail or fax you the full option list on that vehicle tied to VIN.

It's not very hard to extinguish the "presumptive close" of the usual "sales blitz" from a dealer if you, yourself, really know the vehicle (generically) to begin with. Again, personally, I'd shut down any sales guy who gives any evidence of being a bull**** hero, and I'm sure you along with just about everyone on this list would do the same.

Anyway, as far as colour goes, FYI I was followed by a GS350 a day or two ago while coming home, same bronze / tan colour as the GS460 in NM. The young lady driving it stayed right behind me for about 10 miles or so (16 kilometres in Canuck-speak) before I turned off, so I had a good look (at the car!) and thought it looked really classy. First one I've seen in that colour around here, and I have to admit I liked it.

Our 2008 GS460 is that deep metallic black mica that has a very subtle deep blue undertone that only shows up in direct sunlight. The metallic black mica is not as subtle as the bronze, and it's a bit more "in your face" if you want to put it that way. No matter how you cut it, it looks really good. BUT I have to say that the bronze / tan looks fantastic, and it's probably a lot easier to keep clean -- "black sapphire" (the colour name from Volvo, just about the same as the Lexus) shows the dirt and dust a lot more. And I don't mean to say that the bronze / tan looks like dirt!

So, I'm just thinking that there may be more to know about the NM car before you definitively say "ahhh, no, don't think so."

Looking fwd to hearing your thoughts,

Cheers / Lexleezard
Old 02-18-14, 04:12 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Lexleezard, the 2011 GS460 in NM unfortunately does not have parking sensors or Mark Levinson as indicated by the pictures. 49er and I discussed that these were his two desired options.

Quick Reply: Hello, folks! New GS460 owner here...