GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2006 GS430 brake actuator

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-13, 12:51 PM
isbsalam
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2006 GS430 brake actuator

Hi
I just got a per-owned 2006 GS 430. After few days of driving started noticing some noise after brake pedal was pressed or foot lifted off of brake pedal. Took it to local Lexus dealership to check it. They say it is brake actuator making the noise. cost pf new part 3300.00 total cost to replace 4000.00. We have owned different Lexus in our family( sc400,GS 400, LS430) but never heard of this problem in any car. I am really bummed because car was purchased as is.
Dealer says I can keep driving the car without fixing and tolerate the noise.

Does anyone else have this issue with GS 430? and what do u do?

Bummed in California

Smakes
Old 12-22-13, 01:43 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

First off, welcome to the forums! Secondly. Could you record the noise? I'd love to hear it to let you know if ti's NORMAL or NOT.

You never having heard this problem is normal. The 1st gen SC you drive, the 1st/2nd gen GS you drive (unsure as GS400 came in 2 generations), the 3rd gen LS430 (correct me if I'm wrong here, as I believe there's 2-generations to the LS400). all have manual brake modules. It wasn't until these later years they started using electronic braking system. It helps adapt to your foot better supposedly and helps in braking in case of emergencies, prevents harsh braking, and the initiation of the ABS system is better. The downfall is you probably are paying an arm and a leg if anything breaks.

I doubt anything is broken though. Record the noise and come back with feedback. If you're feeling lazy and want to skip this step. Go to Toyota and pay for a brake flush. LMK if results improve!

GL
Old 12-23-13, 08:38 AM
isbsalam
Driver School Candidate

Hi GL
Thanks for reply to my post. I will have figure out how to record the noise. But Lexus dealer ship "exchanged" brake fluid but that did not make any difference..actually noise is more frequent than before. I read in LS forum someone saying there is a particular procedure to bleed the brakes and sometimes that fixes the problem. I do not know if tech. at Lexus followed any such special procedure.
Thanks again.
Smakes
Old 12-30-13, 11:12 AM
1STLXS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the same problem and the best way to describe it, it's like a clucking sound when you press the brake. I took mine to toyota and they state my Brake Actuator is starting to fail. They quoted me $2,300 to install a new one. I'm trying to find a used one but no luck on the 06 GS430. If I find anything else I will update you.
Old 01-06-14, 07:52 AM
isbsalam
Driver School Candidate

I took my car to a local foreign car expert repair shop. their ratings were so excellent for honesty and not over selling anything. They diagnosed the problem as caliper in front driver side brakes.According to them someone put new rotors and brake pads and did not adjust the caliper properly. now caliper is damaged and needs new one. They tell me ABS is fine,actuator is fine. I will get my car back today and see if problem got solved.
Much cheaper solution than replacing actuator. Lexus tech.'s paper work says they ran tests and found bad actuator and even gave an error code. I looked up that code and it means " low charge at +ve terminal" of battery.
error code was not even part of ABS system error codes. should I trust Lexus????
I will wait to see if my car is fixed today with caliper. will post the result tonight.
Old 01-06-14, 07:15 PM
isbsalam
Driver School Candidate

bad news; new caliper, pads installed correct way did not fix the problem. repair shop contacted Lexus factory and found out this is design flaw in braking system and they are aware of it. it is not dangerous or unsafe just annoying. but it is not actuator problem either.
Old 02-22-14, 09:50 PM
GS430GS430
Driver School Candidate

My 06 GS430 makes the same sound. I don't remember when or it has always been present. I have about 162k miles on my car and it still drive like new. I think the sound is very faint, but you notice it more when you depress the brake peddle quickly/suddenly.
Old 02-24-14, 06:09 AM
isbsalam
Driver School Candidate

I am learning to live with this annoying sound. sometimes when I have turned the engine off and standing out side the car taking stuff out...it makes this sound that seems louder outside than inside.
My car has only 82k and it runs perfect otherwise. thanks for the post.
Old 03-10-14, 08:35 PM
Bigtimmy
Driver School Candidate

i have 2001 with same problem repaled with used still same codes im stumped good luck
Old 05-22-14, 01:04 AM
tmw1960
Driver School Candidate

I have a per-owned 2006 GS 430 with 87K miles. About 7 months ago I had some brake work done at a certified shop. I had to take the car back several times because brake pads where sqeaking. Found out the pad where the wrong type and the mechanic changed them. Shortly there after the noise isbsalam discribed above started and it got louder. The VCT and ABS lights came on. I took it to lexus and was informed it was the ABS actuator. Then i got a second and third opinion and was told the same. This just doesnt seem right. Does anyone know if there was a recall on these units?
Old 04-11-16, 09:17 AM
LetsGo
Driver School Candidate

tmw1960, what did you find out? My 06 GS just had a rear brake job, there were some issues with the brake bleed and had to have a dealer reset the codes, but then two weeks later I started getting that brake "click or bark" when depressing the pedal....especially if i hit it quick.
Old 04-13-16, 01:09 PM
GSBigBody
Driver School Candidate

isbsalam - I have a 2006 GS430 also and mine makes the same sound if we are talking about the same noise. It sounds like there is a small compressor turning on right in front of the driver side of windshield. I have read many places that its only a noise issue and actually isn't failing at all.. Some times I actually hear it when the car shuts off and I walk away from it.

I just last weekend did all new rotors & pads "figured out both my rear calipers were toasted" so had to replace those also. After replacing those it required me to bleed the brakes due to opening up the closed system. What I found out was the noise turns on when its trying to push brake fluid to the calipers. This helps with a more evenly type of braking. But once I had them bleed, the noise is significantly less and only turns on randomly in traffic when pumping brakes frequently..

Also now for warranty/recall on this... There is nothing (unless I just haven't been able to find it)
Old 04-10-17, 03:24 PM
AbbasMalik
Driver School Candidate

Default 2009 gs460

I hear the same sound every now and then... specially in traffic, idle and even after the cars off... I guess I have just started noticing it more.. I was searching google for opinions, came across this thread.. If more GS owners can comment on this sound and if its normal, would appreciate. I am getting paranoid.
Old 04-11-17, 03:33 PM
Fausty
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't know if it covers the 430though.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...008-gs460.html
Old 07-28-20, 10:02 AM
Lihol182
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by isbsalam
Hi
I just got a per-owned 2006 GS 430. After few days of driving started noticing some noise after brake pedal was pressed or foot lifted off of brake pedal. Took it to local Lexus dealership to check it. They say it is brake actuator making the noise. cost pf new part 3300.00 total cost to replace 4000.00. We have owned different Lexus in our family( sc400,GS 400, LS430) but never heard of this problem in any car. I am really bummed because car was purchased as is.
Dealer says I can keep driving the car without fixing and tolerate the noise.

Does anyone else have this issue with GS 430? and what do u do?

Bummed in California

Smakes
Yes. I have a 2003 Lexus GS 430. It’s a beautiful car. Drives better than any new (Lower end) car I have driven recently. I’m paying $1030 For a used NO WARRANTY or $3500 for new warranty. I’m crossing my fingers and going no warranty. I’m starting a savings acct for future repairs on this car. It drives and looks as nice as any new car (I could afford) so I hope it’s worth it. I wish I’d have took the warranty for piece of mind. Still in the shop today so we shall see.