GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Jerk/jolt/clunk when coming to a stop

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-15, 06:36 AM
hawaz123
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jerking when slowing down

Thanks for the respond, once in a while when I use the manual shifting going up-and-down with gears I get a check engine light check the code comes out to be P0756 which is solenoid B there calling S2 what kind of problem am i looking at now
Old 11-25-15, 05:17 PM
monkeyRX
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just got back from dealership and did the engine and transmission ECU flash to the latest program versions.

Experienced one clunk as I was leaving the dealership, but have not experienced one since. Drove around my neighborhood at 35 mph and slower, coasted, slowed to a stop, and its all super smooth. Engine braking works fine, downshifting works fine, and NO CLUNK!

After 5 rounds of transmission fluid changes, this has been the fix i was looking for. Best $147 dollars spent at the dealership.

Last edited by monkeyRX; 11-26-15 at 09:05 AM.
Old 11-26-15, 10:38 AM
ez12a
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by monkeyRX
Just got back from dealership and did the engine and transmission ECU flash to the latest program versions.

Experienced one clunk as I was leaving the dealership, but have not experienced one since. Drove around my neighborhood at 35 mph and slower, coasted, slowed to a stop, and its all super smooth. Engine braking works fine, downshifting works fine, and NO CLUNK!

After 5 rounds of transmission fluid changes, this has been the fix i was looking for. Best $147 dollars spent at the dealership.
Good to know flashing/updating the ECU works in lieu of spending over a grand on a replacement! I wasnt entirely convinced that replacing the ECU entirely was the most cost efficient fix (as it probably has the latest firmware).
Old 12-15-15, 03:03 PM
hawaz123
Driver School Candidate

Default Trans problem

Hello again just want check with you again about the shifting how is yout vehicle doing any problem with shifting i called thr dealer took the car there they told me we can not reflash the ecm because its to the latest software and the service writer was telling me that its not the ecm. Now canni get a used ecm and install it what chances am i taking here need help please thank you
Old 12-19-15, 07:35 PM
ta1972
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hawaz123
Hello again just want check with you again about the shifting how is yout vehicle doing any problem with shifting i called thr dealer took the car there they told me we can not reflash the ecm because its to the latest software and the service writer was telling me that its not the ecm. Now canni get a used ecm and install it what chances am i taking here need help please thank you
If you buy a used computer, you have to match the serial numbers that is on your current ecu. You cannot use a different number gs430 ecu. Also, no dealer or shop will install and program it for you unless you know someone in there. The used unit is not a "plug&splay" type.
Old 07-08-16, 10:37 PM
jbclark3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you ever find the root to your problem?
Old 07-11-16, 06:50 AM
hawaz123
Driver School Candidate

Yes it was ecm bought one from wrecking yard programmed it everything super
Old 07-11-16, 09:44 AM
pbxcomm
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello all,
In reference to the post regarding disconnect the battery and ECU fuse. Did this work? I'm wondering if this is all is required to fix this downshift issue.
Old 07-11-16, 02:45 PM
Gs3500
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No... Apparently it didn't but it's still worth a try
Old 09-14-16, 08:24 PM
zamri767
Driver School Candidate

My dealership just back to me on the jerking problem. they qouted me a bill of 12k USD. 6k was just for the ECU and the rest for full servicing of the transmission. I see this as an extortion. Is there a site where i can check the official price for original parts or even a site where i can complain this.

for those who have replaced their ecu from their dealer, how much was it exactly?
Old 09-16-16, 11:22 AM
Sodium
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by zamri767
My dealership just back to me on the jerking problem. they qouted me a bill of 12k USD. 6k was just for the ECU and the rest for full servicing of the transmission. I see this as an extortion. Is there a site where i can check the official price for original parts or even a site where i can complain this.

for those who have replaced their ecu from their dealer, how much was it exactly?
Wow $6,000 for just the ECU? Sounds like there was a miscommunication somewhere – either you got the number wrong, or the service advisor looked up the wrong part. Or maybe Brunei has a 500% tariff on ECUs. I haven't had my ECU replaced, but I recall that others in the US have paid around $1000 for theirs. In fact, over here you could get a new ECU and a new transmission for around $6000.

To look up prices, you can use lexuspartsnow.com

Good luck!
Old 09-27-16, 12:35 PM
couch2k4
Driver School Candidate

Swapped out the ECU and remarry the replacement ECU with the car's immobilizer seemed to fixed my car's harsh downshift 2nd to 1st and jerking when coming to a stop...my car is now driving like a real Lexus again . Thanks all for your inputs and advice.
Old 11-10-16, 08:51 AM
Wendyloo70
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by couch2k4
Swapped out the ECU and remarry the replacement ECU with the car's immobilizer seemed to fixed my car's harsh downshift 2nd to 1st and jerking when coming to a stop...my car is now driving like a real Lexus again . Thanks all for your inputs and advice.
Did you buy a used ECU? Who replaced and remarried it? I found a used one with the same part # and have a mechanic who says he can reprogram it.
Old 11-10-16, 02:28 PM
wickedtaco
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was about to comment on the fan clutch. Glad to hear u fixed the issue.

Last edited by wickedtaco; 11-10-16 at 02:34 PM.
Old 12-30-16, 06:20 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I thought my car was cursed but it just seems like all of our cars are cursed not only with this but the dreaded carbon build up amongst others.

Its silly how Lexus can't even diagnose their own problem, I wonder how many people in the US got ripped off by the dealer saying they must change the transmission only having to be something much cheaper in the end.

Anyway, I guess I have to look for someone to get me an ECU and install it. I may try Lexus customer care first and see what they can do.

My transmission jerk (coming to a stop under 10mph) just started happening recently I believe, I'm at about 103k miles.

Quick Reply: Jerk/jolt/clunk when coming to a stop