GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

A Brand New Rattle (with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-14, 07:53 PM
anewname
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A Brand New Rattle (with pics)

So I now have some kind plastic retainer clip that seems to no longer be doing its job, allowing for some kind of bracket to rattle over small bumps.

If anyone knows the overall procedure for removing the plastic panels underneath the steering column (where the knee airbag is) or even just the steering column plastic itself, please let me know!

Here is the white plastic piece that I believe is the culprit. I think it is the small piece on the right that vibrates and causes the rattle. When I reach under there and press up on the white plastic, I am able to stop the rattle:
A Brand New Rattle (with pics)-v0azcvf.jpg

Here is a video of me manipulating the plastic with my finger wedged under the steering wheel:

HTML5 video link: http://gfycat.com/InfatuatedTallDog
GIF Link: http://giant.gfycat.com/InfatuatedTallDog.gif (huge file)
Old 06-05-14, 11:20 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

take a piece of paper, and wedge it inbetween there. Impactical but it should work.

GL!
Old 06-06-14, 05:45 AM
anewname
Rookie

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
take a piece of paper, and wedge it inbetween there. Impactical but it should work.

GL!
Actually I think that's the definition of practical! :P

I was thinking of cutting an old credit card into strips for the same purpose, but I would rather get in there and see why it's moving. There might be a little tab at the top that just needs to be re-seated (I'm hoping).
Old 06-11-14, 05:19 PM
anewname
Rookie

I guess no one knows the procedure to remove the steering column, or the panel under it?
Old 06-12-14, 05:51 AM
twylie
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

the panel under the airbag has 2 screws (one at each corner), and two tabs. Remove the screws and then insert a small flat screwdriver to release the tab. Once the screws and tabs are free, there is an L hanger that supports the back of the panel toward the front of the car. Slide the panel forward (further under the dash) to release this bit. There is just a slot in the panel that slides over the support piece. Once you remove everything, there are two wire clips and the OBDII connector that need to be release but you can likely reach the area shown without removing the wiring bits. If you need to remove the knee airbag, I believe it bolts in and can be accessed once you remove the lower trim.

I've used 3M foam tape to secure loose bits like this on my GS and other cars. If you get the weatherproof version (grey vs white for interior use tape), I found it to hold up well in heat and all my "fixes" are still working.
Old 06-12-14, 10:45 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Did I just witness my first lexus ****?
Old 06-12-14, 05:48 PM
anewname
Rookie

Originally Posted by twylie
the panel under the airbag has 2 screws (one at each corner), and two tabs. Remove the screws and then insert a small flat screwdriver to release the tab. Once the screws and tabs are free, there is an L hanger that supports the back of the panel toward the front of the car. Slide the panel forward (further under the dash) to release this bit. There is just a slot in the panel that slides over the support piece. Once you remove everything, there are two wire clips and the OBDII connector that need to be release but you can likely reach the area shown without removing the wiring bits. If you need to remove the knee airbag, I believe it bolts in and can be accessed once you remove the lower trim.

I've used 3M foam tape to secure loose bits like this on my GS and other cars. If you get the weatherproof version (grey vs white for interior use tape), I found it to hold up well in heat and all my "fixes" are still working.
Thank you so much! Going to give it a shot now.
Old 06-12-14, 08:19 PM
anewname
Rookie

Originally Posted by twylie

Sadly, removing that panel does not provide access to the piece of plastic that is rattling. I either need to disassemble the plastic surrounding the steering column (with the turn signals, etc.) or remove the knee air bag (which I am probably not prepared to do myself).

Any thoughts?