GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

06 GS300 w/ CREE LED

Old 12-07-13, 05:56 PM
YaMomma
Driver

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

I started with an LED from VLED and recently switched to HID from KB. There is a substantial difference in light output between the two options. With LED I could barely tell a difference when turning the fogs on and off. If I turn off my HID fogs I'm surprised by how dark the road becomes.

I've read about HID kits melting housing and its a fear I use to have. What I read gave me the impression the melting issue is related to the kit providing to much power. I've ran my lights for hours and it doesn't seem any hotter than the stock bulb. Therefore I don't think I'll have any issues (knock on wood) but if I do I'm putting HID back in.

I purchased the Xtreme Digital HID Conversion Kits With Philips Bulbs from KB with a CL discount and love them. There are different kits and bulbs but I wanted the Philips Bulbs because they seem problem free.
Old 12-07-13, 09:18 PM
audis886
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by YaMomma
I started with an LED from VLED and recently switched to HID from KB. There is a substantial difference in light output between the two options. With LED I could barely tell a difference when turning the fogs on and off. If I turn off my HID fogs I'm surprised by how dark the road becomes.

I've read about HID kits melting housing and its a fear I use to have. What I read gave me the impression the melting issue is related to the kit providing to much power. I've ran my lights for hours and it doesn't seem any hotter than the stock bulb. Therefore I don't think I'll have any issues (knock on wood) but if I do I'm putting HID back in.

I purchased the Xtreme Digital HID Conversion Kits With Philips Bulbs from KB with a CL discount and love them. There are different kits and bulbs but I wanted the Philips Bulbs because they seem problem free.
that's true if you using the regular LED, but the new LED kit from vleds has 2000 lumens compare to regular LED which provide around 500-600 lumen, that's a big difference, HID is my second option if the vleds is not bright enough
Old 12-07-13, 11:08 PM
mr. tetsuo
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

a bit too much glare and overkill imo
Old 12-07-13, 11:29 PM
alSpeed2k
Driver

Originally Posted by audis886
that's true if you using the regular LED, but the new LED kit from vleds has 2000 lumens compare to regular LED which provide around 500-600 lumen, that's a big difference, HID is my second option if the vleds is not bright enough
The 2000 lumen kit should be awesome! The biggest problem with LED bulbs is most of the manufacturers don't list the lumens & I think a lot of the bulbs are considerably less than 500 lumens.
Old 12-07-13, 11:58 PM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by YaMomma

Are you running these in the standard fog light housing? Any output pics?
Old 12-08-13, 12:06 AM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by alSpeed2k
The 2000 lumen kit should be awesome! The biggest problem with LED bulbs is most of the manufacturers don't list the lumens & I think a lot of the bulbs are considerably less than 500 lumens.
I'm willing to bet that many manufacturers are completely making up, or exagerrating their lumen ratings, how many consumers are going to have the equipment to accurately measure the ouput?
Old 12-08-13, 02:48 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

There's no such device really, and if there is, it's most likely a gimmick, they use these "lumens" to put their lighting systems on a scale, comparing one next to another and just shooting out #s
Old 12-08-13, 08:32 AM
audis886
Driver

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
There's no such device really, and if there is, it's most likely a gimmick, they use these "lumens" to put their lighting systems on a scale, comparing one next to another and just shooting out #s
well, there is similar set of LED kit at ijdmtoy, i'm gonna go there to ask them if i can test out the kit before i purchase the 1 from vleds,
Old 12-08-13, 12:26 PM
YaMomma
Driver

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by SaigaX
Are you running these in the standard fog light housing? Any output pics?
I'm using the standard housing, its plug and play just choose the 9006 bulbs. The pictures don't do them justice and its an uphill shot.

HID Off:

HID On:
Old 12-08-13, 12:54 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

So do you guys REALLY see a significant difference in light output when the fogs are on and off from cockpit view? That's all that should matter because the foglights are for what they are, ground and fog output so you don't go flying off the road
Old 12-08-13, 01:46 PM
audis886
Driver

well of course LED can't compare to HID output, my current 50 watts CREE high power LED can barely see the light output, even tho it claim as 50 watts..... but it is brighter than those regular 68 SMD LED.... I'm going to ijdmtoy tmr to test out their 1600 lumen LED kit tmr, and see the result before i decide if i should get the 1 from VLEDS
Old 12-09-13, 12:08 PM
alSpeed2k
Driver

Originally Posted by SaigaX
I'm willing to bet that many manufacturers are completely making up, or exagerrating their lumen ratings, how many consumers are going to have the equipment to accurately measure the ouput?
I find most manufacturers don't bother listing the lumen ratings on their bulbs. The ones that do (VLeds, etc,...) are probably pretty accurate (despite the technique they use to guess the lumen rating).

So do you guys REALLY see a significant difference in light output when the fogs are on and off from cockpit view? That's all that should matter because the foglights are for what they are, ground and fog output so you don't go flying off the road
FWIW, you probably don't remember since I think you've had your HIDs for a while, the output of the stock fog lights is BAD. Driving a long a pitch black highway last night I turned the fogs off & on, there was barely any discernible difference on the road because the stock HIDs are so bright. So changing to an LED bulb with a stated Lumen rating (if the rating is fairly accurate) of 700-900 you won't be losing much light. A 2000 lumen kit would kick-***, like an HID kit; but like an HID they can get quite pricey.
Old 12-09-13, 12:25 PM
audis886
Driver

Originally Posted by alSpeed2k
I find most manufacturers don't bother listing the lumen ratings on their bulbs. The ones that do (VLeds, etc,...) are probably pretty accurate (despite the technique they use to guess the lumen rating).

FWIW, you probably don't remember since I think you've had your HIDs for a while, the output of the stock fog lights is BAD. Driving a long a pitch black highway last night I turned the fogs off & on, there was barely any discernible difference on the road because the stock HIDs are so bright. So changing to an LED bulb with a stated Lumen rating (if the rating is fairly accurate) of 700-900 you won't be losing much light. A 2000 lumen kit would kick-***, like an HID kit; but like an HID they can get quite pricey.
Well, actually there is LED that's as bright as HID, look at BMW 6 Series, and MB E350, they have standard LED headlight now, so if the LED kit from VLEDS actually provide 2000 lumen, that will be some kick *** LED I'm about to head to ijdmtoy to test out their 1600 lumen one to see the difference 1st
Old 12-09-13, 11:14 PM
alSpeed2k
Driver

^I know, I never said otherwise, that's also why I said the VLed 2000 lumen kit should be kick-***. LEDs are also standard issue in the new MDX & RLX.
Old 12-10-13, 09:37 PM
audis886
Driver

I went to another shop today, which they have the brighter LED kit than ijdmtoy, which they claim to have 1800 Luman, 1 of their employee have it installed on his GS350 as DRL..... Here's the Pic

Last edited by audis886; 06-01-14 at 08:05 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 06 GS300 w/ CREE LED