GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Does condensation in headlamp cover under CPO Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-13, 09:14 PM
tsiripong
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Does condensation in headlamp cover under CPO Warranty?

I just notice condensation in the driver side headlight of my 2009 GS350 AWD today... .. I have no idea when and how it happened... The car is still under CPO warranty. I would like to know if Lexus will cover this?? Any thought?
Attached Thumbnails Does condensation in headlamp cover under CPO Warranty?-20131026_225956.jpg   Does condensation in headlamp cover under CPO Warranty?-20131026_225843.jpg   Does condensation in headlamp cover under CPO Warranty?-20131026_230055.jpg  
Old 10-26-13, 09:32 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

If you bring it to a dealer, they will turn the headlight on and run it for 15 min. If the moisture is still there, the headlight will be replaced. It the headlight dries up, no replacement. Do this "test" at home and save yourself a trip to the dealership.
Old 10-26-13, 09:40 PM
tsiripong
Rookie

Originally Posted by arnieosp
If you bring it to a dealer, they will turn the headlight on and run it for 15 min. If the moisture is still there, the headlight will be replaced. It the headlight dries up, no replacement. Do this "test" at home and save yourself a trip to the dealership.
So.... Isn't that still a defect though?? since the moisture can get in the headlight? Even though it dried up, the moisture will probably come back on the rainy day.... Is this a trick that the dealer use to decline warranty?
Old 10-26-13, 10:33 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Nope. They try NOT to fix this type of ordeal, at least at lexus of Orlando they didn't. The service manager doesn't like putting ~$2k out of pocket for each headlight.
Old 10-27-13, 05:48 AM
tsiripong
Rookie

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
Nope. They try NOT to fix this type of ordeal, at least at lexus of Orlando they didn't. The service manager doesn't like putting ~$2k out of pocket for each headlight.
That sucks... Isn't the warranty claim paid for by Lexus??? I will probably try to call my SA here in columbus.. Hopefully the condensation will not dry up by then.
Old 10-27-13, 05:56 AM
tsiripong
Rookie

Anybody experienced this condensation problem and got the dealer to replace it under CPO warranty????

This is frustrating for the car this price to have this type of problem.
Old 10-27-13, 06:42 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

sounds like the seal has a flaw. needs a new rubber seal
Old 10-28-13, 07:13 AM
tsiripong
Rookie

Angry

Update...

I just contact my dealer this morning about the condensation in my driver side headlight (Germain Lexus of Easton in Columbus Ohio). My SA said that he is waiting for a response from his diagnostic tech or his service director to see what they want to do. I also ask him that if this would cover under the warranty. He said that yes, but since the car was painted before he has to make sure that it was not in an accident and I still have an original headlight.

(A little bit of background, I bought this GS from Germain Lexus of Easton back in April of 2013 as a Lexus certified pre-own with 32000 miles on it. It was purchased new as a personal lease from Germain Lexus of Easton. Before I purchase the car, I ask them if the car has ever been repainted before, they said no. They also said that this car is an accident free car with a clean carfax report. After I purchased the car, I noticed that the clear coat on the hood wasn't shine the way it suppose to... It looks kinda dull. I raised this concern during my oil change service. The service department at first tell me that they can't see anything wrong and told me that my car needs wax.... After back and fort with them they told me that the car was painted before.... Long story short, after going back and fort with them and elevate the issue to service director and general manager of the dealership, they agreed and fixed the paint issue.)

Now they said that they need to make sure that my car wasn't in an accident and still have Original headlight before they honor the warranty, that makes me really frustrated. NO... I'm beyond frustrated. The car passed the CPO program inspection and they have to do a check if the headlight is original or accident history when they told me that the car is accident free.... I'm really disappointed in Lexus CPO program. I bought Lexus based on their reputation, CPO program, and quality of their product... So far, I haven't see any of that. My 11 year old Honda has less problem than my Lexus. I will raise hell if they don't cover this headlight.
Old 10-28-13, 11:53 AM
LexFather

I noticed its hit or miss with dealers and warranty repairs….Sad but a lot of CPO cars are not what they seem.

Good luck.
Old 10-28-13, 12:07 PM
tsiripong
Rookie

Originally Posted by Blueprint
I noticed its hit or miss with dealers and warranty repairs….Sad but a lot of CPO cars are not what they seem.

Good luck.

Thanks,

This experience really make me think twice before I buy another Lexus CPO. I still can't believe that the dealer told me that they need to check to see if the headlight is original.... I would hope that every single parts on my car are genuine Lexus parts. Since they claimed that all Lexus CPO car are hand picked with clean history and up to Lexus standard. I bought the car from them and they are the one who certified the car. This lead me to believe that Lexus CPO program are BS.
Old 10-28-13, 07:24 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If they refuse, take them to small claim court.
Old 10-29-13, 05:09 AM
tsiripong
Rookie

Update on the situation;

I talked to my Service Advisor yesterday evening. He said that he is waiting to talk to the shop manager to see if he aware of the problem with this model or not. If he is, then he will probably order the part. If not, then, he will need to see the car...

Currently, I'm waiting to hear back from them. I will give them until Wednesday before I call them up again.

I'm still upset about the excuse they gave me yesterday afternoon about that they have to verify if the headlight is Lexus Genuine or not.???? WTF!!! They are the one who certified the car. I don't care if it is genuine or not. When they gave their stamp of approval that this car is a CPO car, all the parts under that CPO contract should be covered. They are destroying their reputation every time they give me excuses.

This experience really frustrated me. I've owned Honda, Mercedes, and BMW in the past and currently own a 11 year old Honda accord. I never have to run around and jump through hoops like this.

Sorry about the long type... I'm upset about the situation.
Old 10-29-13, 08:43 AM
typrice
Rookie

CPO = BS
We have CPO cars at my dealership, and they are BS. I imagine they are all the same everywhere.
They get bought at auction (closed only to branded dealerships) and inspected and placed as CPO units. Unfortunatly people think CPO is a big deal, they are not.
Old 10-29-13, 09:44 AM
tsiripong
Rookie

Originally Posted by typrice
CPO = BS
We have CPO cars at my dealership, and they are BS. I imagine they are all the same everywhere.
They get bought at auction (closed only to branded dealerships) and inspected and placed as CPO units. Unfortunatly people think CPO is a big deal, they are not.
Well... According to my recent experience, I have to agree with you that CPO = BS... At least from this Lexus dealer in Columbus, OH.

I don't really car where they bought the car as long as the car that they claim as a CPO held up to their advertise standard and they honor the warranty that they agreed to on the contract.

P.S. I bought my 2003 Honda Accord as a CPO back in 2007 with 40K miles on it. I never have to jump through hoops like this when it comes to warranty claim.
Old 11-13-13, 05:07 AM
tsiripong
Rookie

Update on this situation.....

Long story short, CPO warranty exclude almost everything that's not mechanical... After several phone call back and fort with Lexus corp and a trip to the dealer, they agreed to do a goodwill on the headlight. ... The car is currently at the dealer right now to get the driver side headlight replace... I'm happy with the outcome, but not so happy with the whole situation that I have to jump through hoops to get Lexus to step up and stand behind their product... expecially $1300.00 headlight... who would expect that the headlight this expensive can failed after 4 years.

Quick Reply: Does condensation in headlamp cover under CPO Warranty?