GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Trunk Release Button Cover Melting (includes DIY Replacement of Release Button Cover)

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-17, 04:27 AM
kennyray
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aneidiaz
Man I been really searching on how to get to those license plate lights. This is the only thread that I can find that exposes that whole area visually. The screws to my plastic license plate light covers are stuck in there and impossible to get out. So I removed the trunk cover and tried to get to them thru back there and nothing. Do I really have to take all that stuff apart just to replace my license plate lights???? Please someone point me in the right direction. Thank you CL!
I'm not sure you HAVE to take it out, but since you aren't obviously seeing another way AND you can get acess to the light if I remember correctly, then at least you have A way! Just follow the pics -- it ain't that hard. It takes at most a couple of hours, if you are slow and methotical like me.
Old 06-07-17, 05:05 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by kennyray
I'm not sure you HAVE to take it out, but since you aren't obviously seeing another way AND you can get acess to the light if I remember correctly, then at least you have A way! Just follow the pics -- it ain't that hard. It takes at most a couple of hours, if you are slow and methotical like me.
Yes it is this way. Lol thank you for the sarcastic optimism. I'm encouraged to do it you being that I been working allot lately and haven't been off. Than you friend! GodBless!
Old 06-07-17, 10:35 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

OK so I took everything apart in the trunk and got to the part where the license plate bulbs are SUPPOSE to be and I can't find them. I got this little lens reflector piece taken apart and still can't access the bulbs. IDK what to do at this moment. Where are these darn bulbs so I can replace them with these led ones. I just don't understand how to physically access the bulbs smh. Please help CL. OK apparently I pulled out the cable from one of these little lighting housings and now I know for sure this just went wrong. I disconnected it and have no clue how to put it back in let alone take apart this little plastic thingy to access a physical bulb. Please help my friends. Any suggestions
Attached Thumbnails Trunk Release Button Cover Melting (includes DIY Replacement of Release Button Cover)-photo592.jpg   Trunk Release Button Cover Melting (includes DIY Replacement of Release Button Cover)-photo687.jpg   Trunk Release Button Cover Melting (includes DIY Replacement of Release Button Cover)-photo311.jpg  

Last edited by aneidiaz; 06-07-17 at 10:44 AM.
Old 02-20-21, 05:23 PM
CruzinGS
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

All, my apologies for bringing up such an old thread ... I've been trying to get the switch out of the trunk lid to replace the rubber cover. I removed the two Phillips-head screws, but I can't seem to pull or pry it down to remove it. Has anyone replaced the cover without doing the interior trunk lid disassembly? The post above by KevGS460ML makes it seem like the rubber cover can be replaced without going through the steps to disassemble the inner trunk lid trim.
Old 02-20-21, 07:52 PM
KevGS460ML
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CruzinGS
All, my apologies for bringing up such an old thread ... I've been trying to get the switch out of the trunk lid to replace the rubber cover. I removed the two Phillips-head screws, but I can't seem to pull or pry it down to remove it. Has anyone replaced the cover without doing the interior trunk lid disassembly? The post above by KevGS460ML makes it seem like the rubber cover can be replaced without going through the steps to disassemble the inner trunk lid trim.
I didn’t have to remove the trunk liner. I only removed the button itself although I don’t remember exactly how it was done. Apparently ServerTech gave me instructions on how to do that, but that’s long gone too. Sorry...
Old 02-21-21, 10:14 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Mine came off soooo many years ago and well...ive just left it alone. It works just fine bear

I wonder if that aftermarket lasts longer then the oem
Old 03-19-21, 05:07 PM
CruzinGS
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by KevGS460ML
I didn’t have to remove the trunk liner. I only removed the button itself although I don’t remember exactly how it was done. Apparently ServerTech gave me instructions on how to do that, but that’s long gone too. Sorry...
In case someone else stumbles on this thread and has a similar problem ... the button definitely can be removed from the outside, without disassembling the inner trunk liner. My car's button cover had "melted" so badly that the rubber had adhered the button to the trunk panel (the cover wraps around the button, so the back side melted and sort of glued the button to the lid), so even with the screws removed it was pretty well stuck. I pried mine out working carefully, and was able to completely remove it in about 10 minutes or so. Prying from the sides was the most helpful, but I did have to pry some from the "front" of the button because the rubber had adhered basically all the way around the switch sides. I spent probably 30-40 minutes cleaning up the switch using "Goo Gone", which is a citrus-based cleaner, and that worked pretty well. The new cover went on pretty easily, and I now have a working trunk button ...!

I bet the amount of time required to remove the inner trunk lid trim is about the same as the time I spent cleaning the button, so I'd call it a wash. If your button cover is badly melted like mine was, I'd say get a new button and trade the messy part of the job for cleaner disassembly work. The replacement cover definitely works, though, and I don't think anyone could tell that it's not from the factory. It looks like someone also made a
"version" with little rubber nubbies "version" with little rubber nubbies
on it. I used the iE Works product and am happy with it.
The following users liked this post:
KC2 (03-19-21)
Old 05-16-22, 08:57 PM
phoe6us
1st Gear

@CAK 500 THANK YOU SO MUCH! I registered for this site just to post my appreciation! Contrary to other posts, I think it's impossible to replace the switch without dissassembling (mine was broken), but it is potentially possible to just replace the rubber. This youtube was helpful :

For those that need to replace the switch (not just the rubber), I ordered this replacement trunk switch on amazon for a 2007 GS350:
Amazon.com: Dorman 901-715 Touch Pad Rear Lift Gate Switch Compatible with Select Lexus / Toyota Models : Automotive Amazon.com: Dorman 901-715 Touch Pad Rear Lift Gate Switch Compatible with Select Lexus / Toyota Models : Automotive
and it works like a charm.

I also had to buy some new license plate screws (M6) as well as new screws and U clips to replace the 2 10mm nuts removed in step 9 due to corrosion/rust.

Last edited by phoe6us; 05-16-22 at 09:03 PM.
Old 05-18-22, 03:21 PM
Oceans13
Intermediate

Received 210 Likes on 129 Posts

I did mine but it required disassembly of the trunk. Took maybe 30 mins.
Boomin (05-19-22)
Old 09-14-22, 02:15 PM
runningjil
2nd gear

Default New to me 2009 ES 350 Trunk button melted

I recently ordered the part to replace it and we actually followed the steps stated here but now neither the old melted button or new button work. Could it be a fuse or did we screw up something. It seemed easy... until it didn't work at all.
Old 09-15-22, 12:05 PM
CruzinGS
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by runningjil
I recently ordered the part to replace it and we actually followed the steps stated here but now neither the old melted button or new button work. Could it be a fuse or did we screw up something. It seemed easy... until it didn't work at all.
First thing to check in this case is to make sure the button to disable trunk access (located in the glove box) is not pushed. When it is, you can't open the trunk using the button on the trunk or the button in the flip down panel, but you can using the remote or the physical key, if I am remembering this correctly.
DaveGS4 (09-15-22)
Old 09-16-22, 08:35 AM
runningjil
2nd gear

Default Melted trunk button

Originally Posted by CruzinGS
First thing to check in this case is to make sure the button to disable trunk access (located in the glove box) is not pushed. When it is, you can't open the trunk using the button on the trunk or the button in the flip down panel, but you can using the remote or the physical key, if I am remembering this correctly.
Thank you. We did that check that. We actually put the melted button back in and it works fine. Wondering if it was the part from Amazon. We returned the part and may order another...right now we have electrical tape on the button.
Old 08-06-23, 02:00 PM
Nano2230
1st Gear

Thank you so much!!
Old 08-07-23, 12:44 PM
jvillier
10th Gear

Just noticed mine melted on my 2012 ES - rubber had been hard and wrinkled before. Noticed CAK 500 from NC, and others from Texas and Florida. Suspect heat related. Anyone have the dealer repair and at what cost? I'm not too handy and a bit timid to tackle this myself. Saw OEM replacement on Amazon so suspect this is fairly common.