GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Trunk Release Button Cover Melting (includes DIY Replacement of Release Button Cover)

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-16, 05:26 PM
bluerocket
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update on trunk button melting

I bought my IS250 CPO in NOV 15. Lexus will pay for having a new trunk button installed. Yeah rah! and kudos to my service writer
Old 06-15-16, 08:59 AM
KoSC300
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In case you dont want to go through all of the trouble of taking it apart. I scraped all of the old rubber stuff off with a flathead and razor. Took a flat bicycle inner tube and cut it to size. Applied some rubber glue and placed it over the plastic. Its been great for the past year, and is easier to press than before. The original switch took a bit more pressure because the rubber was thicker. Got this idea from another member here.
The following users liked this post:
calbeeze (07-13-17)
Old 06-16-16, 09:07 AM
cloud777x
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ARISTOh
So it's only 2 of us out of the thousands of 3GS owners on here that have a melted trunk release button? For some reason I find that extremely hard to believe..
you can also add me to the list of others that have the same issue.

thanks for putting up a detailed DIY

if possible for the tread starter, edit your first post and put up a poll. How many has this issue?

Last edited by cloud777x; 06-16-16 at 09:28 AM.
Old 06-22-16, 09:41 AM
jacklex
Driver School Candidate

Default Great instructions but you left out KEY steps to successful repair

I followed your instructions and note you left out:

1. REMOVE license plate from trunk lid
2. When REINSTALLING the trunk lid panel, unscrew the 2 10mm nuts securing the backup camera (if installed-I think ALL GS450h have them) and move the camera INSIDE the trunk area until you carefully replace and click in the trunk lid panel. After that procedure, replace the backup camera. The camera makes it basically impossible to remove the panel. I would also suggest perhaps removing the backup camera BEFORE removing the trunk lid panel.

I contacted Lexus and let made them aware of my 'gripe' that virtually ALL of their models with these rubber disintegrating switches are failing and they should campaign or recall them but to no avail. I was offered the option of paying my Lexus dealer to diagnose it and then I could re-approach Lexus corporate. I chose to Amazon purchase the part and do it myself.

Thanks again for the great instructions but do add the suggested steps above please.
Old 09-17-16, 02:33 PM
tdub4
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you CAK for the outstanding right up and directions. My 2010 GS350 had this issue as well and, as others have found, Lexus wasn't willing to replace it at no charge. The dealer quoted me $380 for the part and labor...unbelievable! Picked it up on eBay and installed it today. Thanks again!!
Attached Thumbnails Trunk Release Button Cover Melting (includes DIY Replacement of Release Button Cover)-image.jpeg  
Old 01-05-17, 07:02 AM
Draiser
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2008 ES 350 Trunk button sticky

After doing some research on the rubber trunk button being sticky, I ran into this thread which showed me how to fix the problem. I won't go into detail like the others, but wanted to post some pics of how I replaced it by myself. It was very easy, but took some time, as not to break any clips or mess anything up. Hope the pictures help.
Attached Thumbnails Trunk Release Button Cover Melting (includes DIY Replacement of Release Button Cover)-20160814_142910-1-.jpg   Trunk Release Button Cover Melting (includes DIY Replacement of Release Button Cover)-20160814_142929-1-.jpg   Trunk Release Button Cover Melting (includes DIY Replacement of Release Button Cover)-20160814_142943-1-.jpg   Trunk Release Button Cover Melting (includes DIY Replacement of Release Button Cover)-20160814_143539-1-.jpg   Trunk Release Button Cover Melting (includes DIY Replacement of Release Button Cover)-20160814_143603-1-.jpg  

Funkdawg (06-13-21)
Old 01-05-17, 04:40 PM
ServerTech
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Mine was starting to melt too. Fixed it for 19 bucks, and the new part wont do it again. The video really helps, no need to disassemble the trunk lid any more.
Worst part was the sticky goo left behind by the old rubber.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BMMXOMU

http://www.ieworksmn.com/

The following 2 users liked this post by ServerTech:
aznxenon (04-21-17), KevGS460ML (01-11-17)
Old 01-11-17, 04:13 PM
KevGS460ML
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks ServerTech, I ordered the part, and followed the instructions and got it replaced. The hardest part was removing the old rubber piece which had melted badly. It took me about 30 minutes to remove it with Guo-Be-Gone liquid. The removal, and installation of the switch itself was very quick. My switch looks brand new now...

aznxenon (04-21-17)
Old 01-14-17, 06:26 PM
twindham
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Easy

Part noted by ServerTech is way to go - very easy. For the gooey rubber get a can of spray brake parts cleaner - it cleans this mess up nicely and wont damage your paint.
Old 04-17-17, 08:47 PM
gdverma
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by worker
I would find out the core of the problem instead just replacing it.

I wouldn't expect Lexus putting in a defect material, but it is a possibility.
LEXUS is only a Toyota with improved assembly line. You might know that it stands for Toyota - L(luxury)EX(port)toUS =LEXUS, I am not kidding; I have been to their plant in Japan. It is so sad that so many of us have the thin rubber cover of the boot lid switch melting or becoming gummy. Our Lexus IS 250 is 2011 make and it is hard to accept that the rubber would melt after only 6 years. One wonders what else is poor quality in this so-called souped up Toyota. I went to the local Lexus dealer in Moggill Road, Indooroopilly, Brisbane to talk about the melting moment this rubber cover is having on my 6 year old LUXURY Lexus, I was told the part would cost $230 plus installation, of course. What built-in obsolesce in the design of a simple switch. Nothing would have gone wrong with the switch but their Quality Assurance people should have switched its supplier. I personally thing Lexus should supply replacement of the rubber cover for no more than 20 cents.

Shyam
calbeeze (07-13-17)
Old 04-17-17, 08:50 PM
gdverma
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KoSC300
In case you dont want to go through all of the trouble of taking it apart. I scraped all of the old rubber stuff off with a flathead and razor. Took a flat bicycle inner tube and cut it to size. Applied some rubber glue and placed it over the plastic. Its been great for the past year, and is easier to press than before. The original switch took a bit more pressure because the rubber was thicker. Got this idea from another member here.
Thanks and I was going to do something similar. Good Engineers have good solutions to every problem, pity Lexus can't think like that.
Shyam
Old 04-24-17, 05:48 AM
kennyray
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gdverma
Thanks and I was going to do something similar. Good Engineers have good solutions to every problem, pity Lexus can't think like that.
Shyam
this would hardly qualify for good engineering (I'd know -- I'm an engineer!) ! The switch is $40 and it's a couple hours of labor to fix it right. The tutorial and all the tips are right here! Should Toyota have taken care of it? Sure, but OMG some of you need to quityer*****in. If this switch is the worst thing that goes wrong with your car (this is the ONLY thing that I've had to fix on my GS350) you should count yourself VERY lucky! It's a nice car -- fix it right!

Last edited by kennyray; 04-24-17 at 06:55 AM.
Old 04-25-17, 12:14 AM
aznxenon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by KevGS460ML
The hardest part was removing the old rubber piece which had melted badly. It took me about 30 minutes to remove it with Guo-Be-Gone liquid. The removal, and installation of the switch itself was very quick. My switch looks brand new now...
How did you guys install the cover? I can't get the rubber pieces to slip around the edges
Old 05-01-17, 03:52 AM
kennyray
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by aznxenon
How did you guys install the cover? I can't get the rubber pieces to slip around the edges
read through the tutorial and look at all the pictures. In the end, the switch is accessed from the inside of the trunk. In that case the rubber stays with the switch so that you don't have to work anything around anything -- it just drops in and you install the fasteners.
Old 05-29-17, 10:10 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Man I been really searching on how to get to those license plate lights. This is the only thread that I can find that exposes that whole area visually. The screws to my plastic license plate light covers are stuck in there and impossible to get out. So I removed the trunk cover and tried to get to them thru back there and nothing. Do I really have to take all that stuff apart just to replace my license plate lights???? Please someone point me in the right direction. Thank you CL!

Quick Reply: Trunk Release Button Cover Melting (includes DIY Replacement of Release Button Cover)