GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

changing touch screen from japanese to english

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-13, 10:21 PM
l0wke
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile changing touch screen from japanese to english

hey i have a 2007 lexus gs350 and the touch screen is pretty much all in japanese. any one know how i can change this to english?
Old 09-02-13, 10:58 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

I don't think there's a language changer on the GS's menu.... Call up your dealer and find out?

Out of curiosity, is this a RHD vehicle?
Old 09-03-13, 05:44 AM
Stoodo
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 43 Posts

He is from New Zealand so I'd say yes.
Old 09-03-13, 06:58 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Maybe change the cd/dvd in the player
Old 09-03-13, 09:32 PM
l0wke
Driver School Candidate

yes its RHD and the toyota / lexus dealers here are no help,they say they dont know how to do it.
Old 09-03-13, 10:26 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Yikes, cruise the IS forums, I did light googling and found some info that an IS350 owner from another local forum may have changed up his language settings. The system should be universal for you too, GL!

FYI: I believe there is also hidden options in your unit (I don't know if you have navi or not) that allow you to access hidden features. I actually forgot about that, and Lexus does not like sharing it. Try a search that and get back to me.... I'm currently on cheratussin for my thing so I'm about to fall over and Zzz, GL OP!
Old 09-04-13, 10:15 PM
l0wke
Driver School Candidate

iv searched all over the internet and found nothing. if there are hidden options in the unit i wouldnt know how to get in to them as i cant read japanese. maybe i should make friends with a japanese person haha. yea it has navi an tv. iv also noticed when pulling the dash apart it has a toms unit which makes it able to use the tv while driving.
Old 09-05-13, 05:41 AM
Stoodo
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 43 Posts

What country is the Nav disk from? Maybe it gets the language preferences from the Nav Disk (The loading screen when the battery is unplugged for any length of time)
Old 09-05-13, 07:49 AM
jamodeo

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I just wanted to share that I remember reading a post about someone in Russia changing a bunch of localization settings like switching to kilometers and Celsius etc. Some part of the process included using something called a "Toyota Intelligent Tester." (He also had to make physical changes to the board of the speedometer for kilometers to be displayed on the little screen but that's going off topic lol.) I have never used one of these devices before, nor would the name of the device lead me to believe it would actually CHANGE anything since its called a "tester" if I had never heard of it being used for this purpose before, but I do recall him using that to change some of the settings so maybe searching around with that term could help.

In Techstream the only place you can change a language is for the actual Techstream software itself which has nothing to do with the car, after you connect into the vehicle even under personalized settings I don't remember a spot to change the vehicle language.

BUT in our cars here in North America (at least in the gen5 nav unit,) there is a setting in the menus somewhere to change from English to French, and I believe Spanish, so maybe if someone could find and share where that menu is, you could find that same menu and English might possibly be an option? This might only be a change for the distraction disclaimer, but hey, its worth a shot!

Originally Posted by ibidu1
Maybe change the cd/dvd in the player
I have read that may work, just get the newest nav update and load it into the system. Worth a shot regardless to get the regional maps correct!

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
Yikes, cruise the IS forums, I did light googling and found some info that an IS350 owner from another local forum may have changed up his language settings. The system should be universal for you too, GL!

FYI: I believe there is also hidden options in your unit (I don't know if you have navi or not) that allow you to access hidden features. I actually forgot about that, and Lexus does not like sharing it. Try a search that and get back to me.... I'm currently on cheratussin for my thing so I'm about to fall over and Zzz, GL OP!
I have played around extensively in those menus and unfortunately I don't remember seeing the ability anywhere to change the language. I remember spots of the menu showing the current language and country it is set to, but it presented no ability to edit.

Originally Posted by Stoodo
What country is the Nav disk from? Maybe it gets the language preferences from the Nav Disk (The loading screen when the battery is unplugged for any length of time)
I agree that the new map disk is a good direction to start with.

-Joe
Old 09-05-13, 08:37 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Aww, good call jamo! Glad you tried it and can give him feedback. I have the non-nav unit so I can't tell him what it contains in that menu, all I can say was that there WAS some secret menu LOL....

On another note, how is the '13 LS treating you? I sat in one and honestly didn't want to leave. That is LITERALLY the car I am switching to next after the GS is put down.
Old 04-03-14, 01:18 AM
Sammy30
Driver School Candidate

Default Any luck?

Hi - im in Auckland and have the same issue. Lexus are no use, and have no suggestions. How did you get on??
Originally Posted by l0wke
yes its RHD and the toyota / lexus dealers here are no help,they say they dont know how to do it.
Old 04-04-14, 07:19 PM
Bigfox
Driver School Candidate

Same here...From NZ and aucklnad....
Old 04-07-14, 12:29 PM
l0wke
Driver School Candidate

nah man no luck at all aye.every one seems to say this model can't be changed, and lexus have no idea, and even when asking them about other things like turning the tyre pressure sensors off they can't even guarantee they can do that since its in japanese
Old 04-07-14, 08:41 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. Press the start bottom twice( foot off the brake pedal) and headlight adjuster to " off "(u can do while ur car is running too.)

2. While pressing on the " Info " buttom with your right index. Use your right hand turn the headlight from " Off" to " Headlight"( not AUTO), Off-Head, Off-Head, three times. This will lead you to the " Diagnostic Menu".

I think this is the menu they are reffering to, but it does not have a language setting https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ow-tos-44.html post #649
Old 05-21-14, 10:00 PM
lexuskiwi
Driver School Candidate

Default Same problem here

I'm having the same problem - have phoned around and no-one can help.

Any advice hugely appreciated.

Quick Reply: changing touch screen from japanese to english