GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Rear Caliper Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-13, 01:05 PM
illini19
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Caliper Issue

Finally got around to changing all my brakes today on my 2008 GS350 AWD. I should preface this saying I knew my left rear caliper was seized. Two different dealers told me when I got my oil changed to to be proactive I ordered the pins and bushings just in case.

Started with the front. No problems. Took like 20 minutes. Easy as can be. The right rear a little different with the springs but same easy job.

Now the seized caliper took some time and a lot of heat but got both pins out with minor torching to the bushings but who cares I had new ones. I wire brushed the bracket and caliper and go to put the new pins in and the pin that is enclosed has smaller threading than bracket. Huh. I look at the bracket mount and my old pin (which I kinda beat to hell getting out since I had a new one) has different threading. Odd. I go to auto zone and they show the same ones I received online. Very odd. Then it hit me. Lexus must have changed the caliper bracket with the recall on the brakes and all the resellers still sell the original pins.

So since its Sunday the car will have to sit in the garage in stands until I can get to the dealer tomorrow because I'm assuming that is the only place I can get.

Anyone come across this?

I'll post a photo later. Posting from my phone.

Last edited by illini19; 08-04-13 at 05:51 PM.
Old 08-04-13, 03:17 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I did, but I replaced the entire left rear caliper.
Old 08-04-13, 03:46 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

You can't reuse your old pins? Are they bent? If there are straight just take steel wool to them and they should be fine just add grease. Most important thing is to have smooth motion in the pin

Try Napa and all other part stores
Old 08-04-13, 03:47 PM
illini19
Rookie

Originally Posted by burny
I did, but I replaced the entire left rear caliper.
Hoping to avoid that since I got the pins out and didn't even have to take the line off. Hopefully they have the pins at the dealer tomorrow. I would think they do but who knows.
Old 08-04-13, 03:54 PM
illini19
Rookie

Originally Posted by ibidu1
You can't reuse your old pins? Are they bent? If there are straight just take steel wool to them and they should be fine just add grease. Most important thing is to have smooth motion in the pin

Try Napa and all other part stores
The pin with e hex head is fine and the new one fits fine. It's the other one with the issue. The threading is the original for the car which is smaller than the new bracket they must have put on. I groved it up pretty good getting it out. It would need a lathe to get it smooth. I'm going to need that new pin.
Old 08-04-13, 05:16 PM
illini19
Rookie

Here are some photos. The new shiney pins are the ones I ordered and are the same ones that a couple auto part stores had in stock, which are the original ones for the rear calipers before the recall and them changing out the bracket or the calipers. The hex pin matches perfectly. It's the other pin that does not which I need to find ASAP.
Attached Thumbnails Rear Caliper Issue-caliper-bracket.jpg   Rear Caliper Issue-pin-1.jpg   Rear Caliper Issue-pin-2.jpg   Rear Caliper Issue-pin-3.jpg  
Old 08-04-13, 05:43 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Try looking up the same part but for a IS250 they are the same rear calipers as ours.
Old 08-04-13, 05:48 PM
illini19
Rookie

Try looking up the same part but for a IS250 they are the same rear calipers as ours.
Tired that Had the guy in the auto part store look up all Lexus GS350 AWD from 2007-2012 and all were the same pins. Then tried the IS 250 and 350 - Same part number. Then tried the Camry and Avalon just to see. Totally different calipers. UGHHHH

Those new pins and bracket have to be used on some car. I doubt they made just for the recall and didn't notify or update any of the aftermarket stores or even OEM. Still showing the smaller threaded pin.
Old 08-04-13, 06:09 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Have you tried Napa?
Old 08-04-13, 06:13 PM
illini19
Rookie

Have you tried Napa?
I have not but will swing by tomorrow on my way to McGrath Lexus. They are right down the street from one another. And there is a Toyota dealer right down the street as well. Hoping one of them has it. I'll take the bracket and pins with me of course. I would be blown away if one of them didn't have it but who knows.
Old 08-05-13, 10:12 AM
illini19
Rookie

And the fun continues. So Lexus doesn't sell the inner sliding pin bolt. They only sell the hex sliding pin bolt part number 47814. They consider the other bolt part of the caliper and you can't purchase that or the caliper bracket from them separately.

Heading to Napa. If they don't have I'll have to find a shop that can smooth out or grind my old one so it's smooth. If that fails I guess it's a new rear caliper which would suck for a $3.00 pin and especially all the work I put in getting it out
Old 08-05-13, 10:23 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

No need for a shop to grind the pin, just grab a drill and fit the threaded part into the chuck. Spin the drill and hold 180grit sand paper, and work your way down the paper.
Old 08-05-13, 11:00 AM
illini19
Rookie

No need for a shop to grind the pin, just grab a drill and fit the threaded part into the chuck. Spin the drill and hold 180grit sand paper, and work your way down the paper.
Thanks ibidu1. If Napa doesn't come through I'll give it a shot.
Old 08-05-13, 11:18 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I did not have the patience you have displayed. That is why I just got a new one from Bap Geon and was done with it.
Old 08-05-13, 12:04 PM
illini19
Rookie

Originally Posted by burny
I did not have the patience you have displayed. That is why I just got a new one from Bap Geon and was done with it.
Funny burny...had I known this one pin would cause all this....maaaaaaybe I would have just purchased a new caliper online. But still doubtful. More fun to try to get it unsiezed and operational again. I do have other cars available to me so it's not that big of deal but youre right, it requires patience of going store to store. And NAPA did not have. They had the smaller threaded ones.

I sanded a bit and it goes in with a little force. I'll keep sanding and once it gets in there without using a small hammer and can spin and move freely, I'll grease that baby up and put it all back together. Fingers crossed.

Quick Reply: Rear Caliper Issue