GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

3Gs Accelerates while trying to break/stop

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-13, 08:55 PM
Lexo11
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 3Gs Accelerates while trying to break/stop

Tried searching the forums but found little info about this situation.

Anyone else experience this... while driving 35-50 mph and slowly coming to a stop the vehicle
continues to accelerate on its own?

Example: When I put my foot on the break as I'm approaching a stop I hear the engine almost as if it's revving so I'm literately fighting with the break pedal to stop the car but it's impossible it just keeps going until it gives up and actually stops. I do hear the this revving noise coming just for those few seconds.

I called Toyota Headquarters and they suggested that I go to a nearest Lexus dealer which I did. I explained this situation to the rep and the rep replied if I have any check engine lights on or any of that sort but there wasn't and still isn't. He then told me there will a $150.00 service charge to see what the problem is (in other words have one of their mechanic's drive the car and see if they can reenact the situation ) That made absolute no sense to me that they are charging me for something that should be taken care of at no cost considering this is not a maintenance issue. What bothered me more was not the money but the fact that some "Joe" was going to drive around the and come back saying there is no no issues and I walk out -150.00 as I explained this doesn't happen all the time' I got frustrated with the guy and walked out.

Now, since then it has occurred again and I'm getting tired of this more importantly it's to damn dangerous.

In addition to all of this, A few months ago I have received a notice that there is a loss settlement towards Toyota in regards to the Electronic throttle control system (ETCS) I submitted my part and still waiting to hear from them,

Has or is anyone else dealing with this situation? unintentional acceleration or received a lawsuit towards Toyota?
Old 07-30-13, 09:20 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

what year and engine do you have?
Old 07-30-13, 10:14 PM
Lexo11
Rookie

Originally Posted by ibidu1
what year and engine do you have?
2007 Lexus Gs350 87k miles currently.
Old 07-30-13, 10:21 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Have you ever cleaned your throttle body and had a top engine cleaning done?

If not, I would first pull out the throttle body and clean inside and out, and then use a full can of seafoam through the intake port. Then also replace the plugs with oem
Old 07-30-13, 10:37 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I kind of know what you are feeling, is it in power mode and happens when braking hard? If so it does the whole acceleration thing when downshifting.
Old 07-30-13, 11:13 PM
Lexo11
Rookie

Have you ever cleaned your throttle body and had a top engine cleaning done?

If not, I would first pull out the throttle body and clean inside and out, and then use a full can of seafoam through the intake port. Then also replace the plugs with oem

I have not done that service. Is it an easy job to do or should I have a professional do it? also, is it safe to remove the throttle body and clean it or just clean it while its still intact.

I just feel like this is a much bigger issue than a simple clean up. Especially receiving that Toyota lawsuit only confirms the situation.
Old 07-30-13, 11:16 PM
Lexo11
Rookie

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
I kind of know what you are feeling, is it in power mode and happens when braking hard? If so it does the whole acceleration thing when downshifting.
Not sure what you mean by power mode, but it's on normal drive mode. No "S" mode or any of that sort. I'm traveling at about 35-40 mph its even happen while taking my foot of the break and letting the car roll a 1 mph and when I try to break it just won't stop so I'm battling with the break pedal to stop the car. I begin to hear the engine rev and the car accelerating without my full control.
Old 07-31-13, 12:21 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Very easy to pull the TB and to do a top engine clean. The TB you undo the rubber intake by taking off the clamp and sliding the pipe off, then you have 4 screws unbolt them and remove the plugs and then the TB. Clean inside and out and push the plate to clean inside really good.

Next heat the engine by driving it a short distance, then pop off the engine cover, there is a rubber plugged fitting on top off the intake manifold, find a vacuum hoes with a smaller tube. With the engine running have the vacuum line slowly suck the seafoam out of the bottle for about half way, and then turn off the car and let it sit for about 30 min and redo the same to finish the bottle. After you just the bottle have the engine idle out all the cleaner, do not rev the engine just let the chemicals do the work.

Then replace the plugs and air filter and hopefully the problem should go away.

Because you may have varnished or gummed up TB and when you release the gas pedal as it returns it sticks and doesnt fully close right away. Do all of these things and im positive your car will ride a lot smoother
Old 07-31-13, 07:02 AM
Lexo11
Rookie

Very easy to pull the TB and to do a top engine clean. The TB you undo the rubber intake by taking off the clamp and sliding the pipe off, then you have 4 screws unbolt them and remove the plugs and then the TB. Clean inside and out and push the plate to clean inside really good.

Next heat the engine by driving it a short distance, then pop off the engine cover, there is a rubber plugged fitting on top off the intake manifold, find a vacuum hoes with a smaller tube. With the engine running have the vacuum line slowly suck the seafoam out of the bottle for about half way, and then turn off the car and let it sit for about 30 min and redo the same to finish the bottle. After you just the bottle have the engine idle out all the cleaner, do not rev the engine just let the chemicals do the work.

Then replace the plugs and air filter and hopefully the problem should go away.

Because you may have varnished or gummed up TB and when you release the gas pedal as it returns it sticks and doesnt fully close right away. Do all of these things and im positive your car will ride a lot smoother
Iv'e also heard to replace the TB gasket since you will be cleaning it.. is it needed or should I just reuse the same one?
Old 07-31-13, 08:20 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lexo11
Iv'e also heard to replace the TB gasket since you will be cleaning it.. is it needed or should I just reuse the same one?
Its not needed, as it is rubber and reusable.
Old 07-31-13, 04:53 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does this occur only shortly after starting the car up, like when it's still warming up? I used to notice that quite a bit in the winter but once the car would warm up, it went away. It's part of the programming to help the car get up to temp quicker. If it's occurring outside of that time frame, I haven't experienced or heard of anyone else experiencing that issue. Honestly, the throttle body cleaning shouldn't be necessary with the port injection and direct injection we have on these cars. That was more of an issue on the IS250's since they didn't have the port injection and could experience build-up issues.
Old 07-31-13, 05:03 PM
Lexo11
Rookie

Originally Posted by anthrax144
Does this occur only shortly after starting the car up, like when it's still warming up? I used to notice that quite a bit in the winter but once the car would warm up, it went away. It's part of the programming to help the car get up to temp quicker. If it's occurring outside of that time frame, I haven't experienced or heard of anyone else experiencing that issue. Honestly, the throttle body cleaning shouldn't be necessary with the port injection and direct injection we have on these cars. That was more of an issue on the IS250's since they didn't have the port injection and could experience build-up issues.

What would you consider shortly after?.. 2 -4 miles? I want to say a few miles down on the road but at the same time when I have the ac on it's more likely to happen (I think) from fear of it happening again I try not to use the ac in heavy traffic.

Also does anyone else experience loud noise and vibration from turning on the ac. For some reason it seems louder than a average ac should sound, not to mention the vibration that comes and goes. Could this be linked to the issue I'm dealing with?

Last edited by Lexo11; 07-31-13 at 05:04 PM. Reason: minor error
Old 08-02-13, 10:43 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Video record your problem. I had an intermittent problem with my car a long time ago that I could not replicate at the dealer. One day I decided to flip on my phone's vid cam, had the service technicians check it out and they finally believed me after 3 trips.

GL OP!
Old 08-02-13, 11:27 PM
Lexo11
Rookie

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
Video record your problem. I had an intermittent problem with my car a long time ago that I could not replicate at the dealer. One day I decided to flip on my phone's vid cam, had the service technicians check it out and they finally believed me after 3 trips.

GL OP!
The vehicle is at home and I will be out of state for a while. When I get back I will try to post a video.
Old 08-03-13, 01:31 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 446 Likes on 283 Posts

It does look like your car is revving higher than it should, which would explain why your car probably doesn't downshift properly when you try to slow down! And why your engine revs higher when your AC complressor is on!

A video would really help!

Quick Reply: 3Gs Accelerates while trying to break/stop