GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Sirius shark fin antenna installation in 2007 GS350

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-13, 06:43 PM
jpsc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Sirius shark fin antenna installation in 2007 GS350

I bought a 2007 GS350 with Levinson and just installed aftermarket Sirius with the SCCI Connect Universal Tuner and the TOY-SCI Toyota/Lexus interface. It was the obvious choice given that I already have a lifetime subscription through the tuner and moved it from my 2007 Camry. I picked up a Vaistech antenna adapter (SFA12M) so I could use the shark fin instead of the Sirius hockey puck. The install went fine, but I couldn't get the SFA12M adapter to work with my car.

I located the Levinson amp in the trunk on the passenger side of the spare tire well and found what I thought was the antenna plug. I removed it and attempted to plug the SFA12M into the amp but it wouldn't fit. I discovered a very slight difference in the plugs, something you wouldn't notice without a close inspection. I called Vaistech and the guy couldn't give me a definitive solution, so I went with the Sirius antenna for the time being. I really want to use the shark fin instead, but I want to make sure I know what I'm doing before I proceed.

I thought I was supposed to remove the antenna cable from the Levinson amp and plug in the SFA12M instead. If so, should I shave off a piece of the plastic on the Vaistech plug so I can make it fit? OR does the cable that's plugged into the Levinson amp run to the antenna? This is what I suspect, in which case I would need either a female-to-female adapter to connect the SFA12M to the existing cable OR the SFA12F instead of the SFA12M.

I also noticed that the SFA12M might not be long enough for me to hide it properly; it would be very close. Has anyone else been able to use this cable with the SCC1 mounted behind the radio without an extension cord?
Old 07-29-13, 10:10 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

That is a long write up and after reading it 3 times, I'm still confused.

I thought Antenna's go on Radio's, not amps? I didn't know our amps had the antenna hooked up on it.
Old 07-30-13, 06:40 AM
jpsc

Default antenna/amp

Plugging the Vaistech cable into the amp sounded strange to me also, but access to the shark fin antenna is somewhere in the trunk area, presumably at the amp. I'm just not sure what I'm supposed to connect the Vaistech cable into--the amp, a cable that I disconnect from the amp, or something else that I haven't located.
Old 07-30-13, 07:51 AM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's been a while since I installed the OEM XM kit in our '07 so I may be wrong but...

I recall the antenna cable only going from tuner box (for OEM it's suspended from trunk ceiling) to the vehicle antenna cable (shark fin antenna). Yes, the shark fin antenna cable is in the trunk hidden behind the liner on the right side but it's about half way between the trunk floor / ceiling and was OEM wrapped in foam tape. It is not down in the amp well.

Good luck
Old 07-30-13, 10:48 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^ been awhile for me too, but I remember the antenna plug is different from other plugs. And it also need it's own cable due to shielding protecting the signal before it reach the filter/amplifier inside the receiver. It should be no where near the Amplifier for the speaker or mix with any other electronics.
Old 07-30-13, 07:19 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Originally Posted by jpsc
Plugging the Vaistech cable into the amp sounded strange to me also, but access to the shark fin antenna is somewhere in the trunk area, presumably at the amp. I'm just not sure what I'm supposed to connect the Vaistech cable into--the amp, a cable that I disconnect from the amp, or something else that I haven't located.
USUALLY, in my case anyways, the vaistech unit plugs into the back of your radio console in the front. I've never heard of it going in the back though..... I could be wrong as it's different applications for each car, but for the majority that I've seen installed, they all go in the front behind the console. (I DIY'd mine's and it worked so I can verify that, at least for the Universal Y/R/W RCA cable-unit, it goes in the back of the head unit, not the amplifier).

Originally Posted by BurgBoxstr
It's been a while since I installed the OEM XM kit in our '07 so I may be wrong but...

I recall the antenna cable only going from tuner box (for OEM it's suspended from trunk ceiling) to the vehicle antenna cable (shark fin antenna). Yes, the shark fin antenna cable is in the trunk hidden behind the liner on the right side but it's about half way between the trunk floor / ceiling and was OEM wrapped in foam tape. It is not down in the amp well.

Good luck
Thanks for verifying! I have never heard of antenna's going to amplifiers, nor have I seen a thick cable go into the amplifier itself (then again I don't have a shark fin).

Originally Posted by worker
^ been awhile for me too, but I remember the antenna plug is different from other plugs. And it also need it's own cable due to shielding protecting the signal before it reach the filter/amplifier inside the receiver. It should be no where near the Amplifier for the speaker or mix with any other electronics.
Yeah, I thought same thing too dude....

I would say the antenna should be in the back of the radio/nav/climate control/tape deck module.
Old 07-31-13, 12:30 PM
jpsc

I pulled the stereo unit out and checked again. There's a regular motorola-type antenna cable plugged into the back for AM/FM, but nothing that matches the plug for the SFA12M (or SFA12F), and no loose cables in the area. I'm almost 100% sure the antenna cable for the shark fin is not in the dash area. I checked the trunk on the passenger side again and couldn't find anything either, although I haven't been able to access the entire area yet...
Old 07-31-13, 12:58 PM
gojeezy123
Driver

Sorry OP, no answer for your install.. but a question... So when you purchase the SCCI Universal Tuner, it comes with a lifetime subscription?? Is this still going on? and where did you purchase the tuner if not purchased directly from Sirius?

I bought a 2007 GS350 with Levinson and just installed aftermarket Sirius with the SCCI Connect Universal Tuner and the TOY-SCI Toyota/Lexus interface. It was the obvious choice given that I already have a lifetime subscription through the tuner and moved it from my 2007 Camry. I picked up a Vaistech antenna adapter (SFA12M) so I could use the shark fin instead of the Sirius hockey puck. The install went fine, but I couldn't get the SFA12M adapter to work with my car.

I located the Levinson amp in the trunk on the passenger side of the spare tire well and found what I thought was the antenna plug. I removed it and attempted to plug the SFA12M into the amp but it wouldn't fit. I discovered a very slight difference in the plugs, something you wouldn't notice without a close inspection. I called Vaistech and the guy couldn't give me a definitive solution, so I went with the Sirius antenna for the time being. I really want to use the shark fin instead, but I want to make sure I know what I'm doing before I proceed.

I thought I was supposed to remove the antenna cable from the Levinson amp and plug in the SFA12M instead. If so, should I shave off a piece of the plastic on the Vaistech plug so I can make it fit? OR does the cable that's plugged into the Levinson amp run to the antenna? This is what I suspect, in which case I would need either a female-to-female adapter to connect the SFA12M to the existing cable OR the SFA12F instead of the SFA12M.

I also noticed that the SFA12M might not be long enough for me to hide it properly; it would be very close. Has anyone else been able to use this cable with the SCC1 mounted behind the radio without an extension cord?
Old 07-31-13, 04:22 PM
jpsc

Originally Posted by gojeezy123
Sorry OP, no answer for your install.. but a question... So when you purchase the SCCI Universal Tuner, it comes with a lifetime subscription?? Is this still going on? and where did you purchase the tuner if not purchased directly from Sirius?
I bought the SCCI a while back from Amazon--maybe 4 years ago. I had already purchased a lifetime subscription for use with another Sirius receiver before that time. I transferred the subscription to the SCCI and used it with my Camry (along with the Toyota/Lexus interface) for ~4 years until I got the GS350 last week. It integrates with the Sirius-ready factory radios very well, and it beats paying $$$ for a Lexus satellite receiver plus the monthly subscription fee. I think the lifetime subscription cost ~$400 when I got it, but I don't believe Sirius sells them anymore.
Old 07-31-13, 07:26 PM
KJSmitty
Driver

I installed the OEM XM receiver kit in my 07 last year. The antenna is as.BurgBoxstr stated above. You need to remove the entire right/passenger side trim/panel within the trunk. The shark fin antenna wire/connector is secured about mid way back on the right, toward the top of the bracing. Just to the right of where the OEM XM receiver goes.
Old 08-01-13, 01:27 PM
jpsc

Thanks for the advice. Any tips on removing the trim/panel in the trunk without ripping it?
Old 08-01-13, 01:54 PM
gojeezy123
Driver

I bought the SCCI a while back from Amazon--maybe 4 years ago. I had already purchased a lifetime subscription for use with another Sirius receiver before that time. I transferred the subscription to the SCCI and used it with my Camry (along with the Toyota/Lexus interface) for ~4 years until I got the GS350 last week. It integrates with the Sirius-ready factory radios very well, and it beats paying $$$ for a Lexus satellite receiver plus the monthly subscription fee. I think the lifetime subscription cost ~$400 when I got it, but I don't believe Sirius sells them anymore.
Thanks for the info JPSC!! I will end up picking up one of these SCC1's from amazon or crutchfield.. Unfortunately my 06 doesn't have a shark fin so I'll be using the provided puck lol
Old 08-02-13, 11:59 AM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the advice. Any tips on removing the trim/panel in the trunk without ripping it?
yes - go to CL sponsor Sewell's site www.sewellparts.com

Search by your model/year and find the XM/Sirius install kit. In the part link will be install directions.

Or search here - you're not the first one to do this and someone likely has posted a diy w/ pics before
Old 08-18-13, 04:30 PM
jpsc

Default shark fin plug found...

Thanks BurgBoxstr for the tip. Sewell's instructions were very helpful. The link for direct access to the download is http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2007/3131.html. I'll post more details for others who need to locate the shark fin plug.

1. Remove the trunk center trim per Sewell instructions.
2. Remove the top middle clip for access behind the passenger trunk side trim. Pry it out gently and you should be able to reuse it. You can bend the trim enough with just this one clip off to access the shark fin plug. It should wrapped in styrofoam and tape, but it's not difficult to remove. Plug in the SFA12M plug. (see pic)
3. I put my SCCI tuner in the dash area so I had to route the plug to the front. The only access I could find was through the small seat belt cover behind the back passenger-side seat. Pop off the plastic that the belt glides through and (with good light) you will see a small black hole that opens to the trunk area. Feed a piece of wire through the hole and pull it through on the trunk side. Tape this wire to the end of the SCCI cable and pull it back through. It's a tough angle and a tight fit, but it works. If there's a better option I couldn't find it. (see pic)
4. You're done with the trunk, so you can put the plugs and clips back in.
5. Route the cable to the receiver by going under the window side of the seat belt cover and pushing it between the seat and side of the car. Hide the cable under the plastic pieces that cover the edge of the carpet by the doors and you can route it to the front dash area.
6. Unfortunately the cable is not long enough to go under the glove compartment and into the dash area to connect to my SCCI tuner. An extra 2 feet would have done the job--an unfortunate design flaw. Sirius antenna extension cables are available on eBay starting under $10. I just ordered one and all that's left is to plug the antenna into my receiver.
Attached Thumbnails Sirius shark fin antenna installation in 2007 GS350-gs350plug.jpg   Sirius shark fin antenna installation in 2007 GS350-gs350belt.jpg  

Last edited by jpsc; 08-20-13 at 03:42 PM.
Old 08-18-13, 05:25 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Sorry for confusing you jpsc, I thought originally you wanted to replace the antenna that goes to the AM/FM and use the Sirius radio instead.

Now I see what you're talking about .

I also have a few questions, did you not have the shark fin before? or was it there already? Because my car doesn't have the shark fun, I'm using the hockey puck instead.

Also, you mentioned paying a lifetime subscription for Sirius radio, can you give further insight on this via PM? I'd love to know as that would probably defeat the purpose of doing the monthly payment after a while. Thanks!!

Quick Reply: Sirius shark fin antenna installation in 2007 GS350